Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Charlie's been talking up a storm since I got the new cockatiels. He's plucking less (HUZZUH!) and he's learning new words. Which is... a minor problem. I have a service dog, who gets bored often (SHe's an Italian Greyhound. Not known for their patience) and I yell at her on occasion. He's learned 'NOW WHAT?', 'what you up to this time?', 'whatchya doing?' and.... 'F&^k Off'. This last one was said once ( and ONLY once) when the dog refused to listen when she was jumping up on the cage when the cockatiels were flipping out. Sometimes I think he's part african grey.

SO... how do I try to train him out of it? I've Been using a similar sounding sentence and using it around the dog when she misbehaves. I've also been ignoring him when he swears. Any other tricks I can use?

Ye GODS I feel like an idiot.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Charlie's been talking up a storm since I got the new cockatiels. He's plucking less (HUZZUH!) and he's learning new words. Which is... a minor problem. I have a service dog, who gets bored often (SHe's an Italian Greyhound. Not known for their patience) and I yell at her on occasion. He's learned 'NOW WHAT?', 'what you up to this time?', 'whatchya doing?' and.... 'F&^k Off'. This last one was said once ( and ONLY once) when the dog refused to listen when she was jumping up on the cage when the cockatiels were flipping out. Sometimes I think he's part african grey.

SO... how do I try to train him out of it? I've Been using a similar sounding sentence and using it around the dog when she misbehaves. I've also been ignoring him when he swears. Any other tricks I can use?

Ye GODS I feel like an idiot.
Oh no 😅. Birds are so much like toddlers! They always pick up on the naughty words and phrases, and so rarely the nice ones! JJ came to me from what was described as “an R rated household.” Supposedly he knows quite a few swear words and once, very distinctly, told my brother ( who was wearing a hat, how dare he!) to “ get the F*** out.” However, since no one in my household ever swears, and we never reward him or pay attention to him for swearing, that part of his vocabulary has slowly disappeared. So I guess that’s my advice; try not to repeat it around him, ignore him when he does use it, and most likely it will disappear. Silly bird!

Most Reactions

Latest posts