help flying

aceswerling

Apr 11, 2024
Parrots
Sun conure
My sun is a year old and is learning to fly. He's just gotten his flight feathers after his first big molt since his first set was clipped. He's been doing OK and getting more comfortable with flying but he's got a few items to work out. First is he doesn't spread his tail feathers or use them to steer in flight, which means he kinda flies like a bat. He gets where he wants to go but he's a bit of all over the place. Second, he also leaves his feet extended instead of tucking them away. Third, he flies with his body tilted up about 15 degrees from horizontal.

I had a cockatiel many years ago who was a very good flyer and didn't do these things. I also didn't teach her to fly so this is the first time I've observed this process.

Any thoughts on this? Is he likely to figure this out or maybe this is how he likes to fly?

Thanks in advance...

My sun is a year old and is learning to fly. He's just gotten his flight feathers after his first big molt since his first set was clipped. He's been doing OK and getting more comfortable with flying but he's got a few items to work out. First is he doesn't spread his tail feathers or use them to steer in flight, which means he kinda flies like a bat. He gets where he wants to go but he's a bit of all over the place. Second, he also leaves his feet extended instead of tucking them away. Third, he flies with his body tilted up about 15 degrees from horizontal.

I had a cockatiel many years ago who was a very good flyer and didn't do these things. I also didn't teach her to fly so this is the first time I've observed this process.

Any thoughts on this? Is he likely to figure this out or maybe this is how he likes to fly?

Thanks in advance...
I wonder if your little one had his wings clipped as a youngster before he learned to fly? Unfortunately this practice still happens quite a bit and it can have impacts on a bird's confidence and action in the air. It generally does resolve itself but some birds remain a bit reluctant for quite a while. I once had a green cheek conure who was quite a reluctant flyer, and I suspect this may have happened to him. It turned out to be a good thing cos he decided my husband was Public Enemy #1 and I'm sure it saved him from being flown at and attacked on more than one occasion!!

Welcome to the forums @aceswerling, we'd love to see some pics of your baby when you can! 😍

Thanks, much. Yes, his flight feathers were clipped before he learned to fly so he's figuring it out now. It's not so much that he's lacking confidence, although I understand why you'd say that. His personality is pretty grounded (hah!) and he's approaching his flight training with good enthusiasm. It's mostly that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I had a sun when I was a kid and he also never learned how to fly. That contributed to him having a tentative and anxious personality his whole life. He was cool, but I want this guy to fly to help avoid that.

Here are pics of Stevie Ray Bird as requested.
FullSizeRender (1).jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

Thanks, much. Yes, his flight feathers were clipped before he learned to fly so he's figuring it out now. It's not so much that he's lacking confidence, although I understand why you'd say that. His personality is pretty grounded (hah!) and he's approaching his flight training with good enthusiasm. It's mostly that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I had a sun when I was a kid and he also never learned how to fly. That contributed to him having a tentative and anxious personality his whole life. He was cool, but I want this guy to fly to help avoid that.

Here are pics of Stevie Ray Bird as requested.
View attachment 58752View attachment 58753View attachment 58754
View attachment 58751
Oh I love his name, Stevie Ray Bird, that's awesome! Thank you for the pics, oh and that last one of him just out of the bath would be a great entry for this month's Photo Of The Month contest - just sayin'! ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back