Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
For these cookies I wanted to experiment, so I made 42 cookies with 1 Tbsp of dough in each, and one giant cookie with the rest of the dough (the giant cookie equaled 14 to 16 of the Tbsp sized cookies).

They all turned out well, but the giant cookie was much easier and could be cut into different sizes. Next time I will just make a few giant cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (1.5-2 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes + 2 Tbsp for topping
  • ½ cup diced pecans
  • 1 apple, diced
  • 2 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
  • ½ cup toasted (or plain) oats
  • 2 Tbsp pasteurized honey
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
  • 2 eggs with shells
  • Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350°F

Cook sweet potatoes until done. I peeled mine and cut it into chunks then boiled for 15 minutes, but baking or microwaving them would be fine. I let mine cool so the dough would be easier to work with.

Toast coconut.
Toasting coconut brings out the nutty flavor. I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently. Toast until it is a nice brown colour (I toasted mine until a darker brown for a deeper flavor).
You can buy toasted coconut, but some have preservatives so I decided to do my own.

Toast oats. Skip this step if you prefer plain oats.
I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently until brown just like the coconut flakes.

Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.

Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and mix. I used a mixer.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix. The dough is very wet.

Put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

If you are making the small cookies, use a Tbsp to measure each one and place on parchment paper an inch apart.
If making the giant cookie, place some of the dough on the parchment paper and even it out until it is about ¼ inch thick. I used about a cup of dough for mine. Top with toasted/plain oats.

*Bake for 9-12 minutes for small cookies.

*Bake for 11-14 minutes for giant cookie.

They are done when the sides hold their shape when you push against them and a knife comes out clean.

Remove from oven and leave on hot pan for 5-10 minutes.

Slide the parchment paper with the cookies onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

These cookies are really moist inside and hold their shape.

Small cookies, quarter to show size:

apple1.jpg

Giant cookie:

apple2.jpg

Giant cookie cut into pieces:

apple3.jpg

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
For these cookies I wanted to experiment, so I made 42 cookies with 1 Tbsp of dough in each, and one giant cookie with the rest of the dough (the giant cookie equaled 14 to 16 of the Tbsp sized cookies).

They all turned out well, but the giant cookie was much easier and could be cut into different sizes. Next time I will just make a few giant cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (1.5-2 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes + 2 Tbsp for topping
  • ½ cup diced pecans
  • 1 apple, diced
  • 2 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
  • ½ cup toasted (or plain) oats
  • 2 Tbsp pasteurized honey
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
  • 2 eggs with shells
  • Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350°F

Cook sweet potatoes until done. I peeled mine and cut it into chunks then boiled for 15 minutes, but baking or microwaving them would be fine. I let mine cool so the dough would be easier to work with.

Toast coconut.
Toasting coconut brings out the nutty flavor. I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently. Toast until it is a nice brown colour (I toasted mine until a darker brown for a deeper flavor).
You can buy toasted coconut, but some have preservatives so I decided to do my own.

Toast oats. Skip this step if you prefer plain oats.
I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently until brown just like the coconut flakes.

Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.

Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and mix. I used a mixer.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix. The dough is very wet.

Put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

If you are making the small cookies, use a Tbsp to measure each one and place on parchment paper an inch apart.
If making the giant cookie, place some of the dough on the parchment paper and even it out until it is about ¼ inch thick. I used about a cup of dough for mine. Top with toasted/plain oats.

*Bake for 9-12 minutes for small cookies.

*Bake for 11-14 minutes for giant cookie.

They are done when the sides hold their shape when you push against them and a knife comes out clean.

Remove from oven and leave on hot pan for 5-10 minutes.

Slide the parchment paper with the cookies onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

These cookies are really moist inside and hold their shape.

Small cookies, quarter to show size:

View attachment 32240

Giant cookie:

View attachment 32241

Giant cookie cut into pieces:

View attachment 32242
How did your feathered friends like these? Do you know if ekkies can have them?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How did your feathered friends like these? Do you know if ekkies can have them?
These were a hit! Even my picky Amazon liked them, first time he has eaten anything I've baked. They are fine for Ekkies, my Ekko loved them:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I did freeze some but haven't thawed them yet. They still look good so I'm hopeful! I'll update after I thaw them out.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I made these for my parrots. Nico (Ekkie) loves them!!! I forgot to add the oats on top, but other then that these turned out perfect. This recipe made a lot of them. I’m going to freeze these cookies, and take them out into the portions I broke down.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. Birds can be picky eaters, and finding something that they eat can be a chore.

Attachments

• 0F712736-25A3-4117-9B5F-3DAB06F573AF.jpeg
    0F712736-25A3-4117-9B5F-3DAB06F573AF.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 21E4D307-F419-44CC-A74A-165FDF5D9F6C.jpeg
    21E4D307-F419-44CC-A74A-165FDF5D9F6C.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 5A9FB882-7338-406B-97D1-D35F11C39969.jpeg
    5A9FB882-7338-406B-97D1-D35F11C39969.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 86
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I made these for my parrots. Nico (Ekkie) loves them!!! I forgot to add the oats on top, but other then that these turned out perfect. This recipe made a lot of them. I’m going to freeze these cookies, and take them out into the portions I broke down.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. Birds can be picky eaters, and finding something that they eat can be a chore.
Those look amazing, and look much better without the oats on top. I am thrilled that Nico loved them, you made my day:)
I did thaw out the ones I had in the freezer and they thawed out well.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I’m pretty sir if we made these the pet furless apes (husband, kids , and who am I kidding…me too) will eat them before the birds get any. 😁
We may have sneaked a couple...shhhh...the birds have no idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts