Swollen bottom

RobandShannon

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, we have two paired lovebirds. A few months ago, I noticed the female had developed a swollen bottom that appears to be eggs. The male continues to mate and her Bottom grown larger. What should I do? I’ve read about egg bound issues that may cause death but she does not appears distraught or ill.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum.
If you can share a picture thst might help. A quick way is to click go advanced under text box hit the paperclip choose picture hit the upload on far right, when loads close window and post. Will attach as thumbnail.

I always recommend keeping track of yiur birds weight. A digital kitchen scale set to grams works great. If not tame zero out, use a clear plastic box, place burd in box for quick weight.
Remove any nest box. Re arrange cage and move cage to a different spot. It might throw male out of breeding. Hopefully you will get other ideas.

As always an exam by an avain vet us recommended. Birds hide being sick, aby issues and they need to see a vet.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
What laurasea said.

Please show a picture.

How long has she been swollen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agreed w/ above.
Eggs do pass within a few days though (or the bird gets really sick and sometimes dies). If this "bottom" has been big for a long time, I am worried about prolapse (internal) or perhaps a hernia, or a tumor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts