Tag Feature

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hello Good Friends of the MOD Team,

I was recently asked a great question by raeleigh26 that I do not know the answer too. Please see below:

(how do I tag sailboat? Lol)

Tag: address a specific person so they are notified that they were mentioned without quoting them. This also allows for one to address multiple people in one post, such as saying,
"thank you *John. I appreciate your input *Megan, do you have an example? *Anne, did the blank work with your blank like this or did you need to buy the other blank? "

In other forums, you can tag someone by putting @ before their handle, and it's highlighted as well as notifying them that they're mentioned or directly spoken to in a thread.
Much like how you were mentioned as a good resource for this thread.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk raeleigh26

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Since it's something I've never used, I'm not sure how it's done. I'm looking into it, and will ask our admin if none of the other mods have an idea. Stay tuned...

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I know this was brought up before. I think it was that would cost extra that they didn’t want to spend.

I’ve thought about it a lot, personally I’m not sure how I feel. Theoretically it’s great, but I see some problems with tagging people who haven’t been around much or tagging people who don’t want to be tagged.

I’ve also seen it several times - Facebook mostly, where tagging is readily available - basically shut down a conversation and ice out participants: someone says “@sailboat is our authority on amazons”, (not to pick on you, my good friend! You’re just convenient) the OP - especially if new to the forum - gets it planted in their mind that only sailboat has advice worth hearing, nevermind we have many Amazon owners here with a breadth of experience to share.

Suddenly everyone is tagging only sailboat, devaluing others. Or in the worst case, inflame egos that don’t need further fanning (we’ve had a poster or two in the past I could totally imagine hogging a thread with implied “I was tagged so I’m right and everyone else is wrong” or l”I was tagged so only I should be giving advice here!”).

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Indeed, this has been brought up in the past. The platform the forum runs on is not compatible with the tagging feature. Would require a full system upgrade.

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I know this was brought up before. I think it was that would cost extra that they didn’t want to spend.

I’ve thought about it a lot, personally I’m not sure how I feel. Theoretically it’s great, but I see some problems with tagging people who haven’t been around much or tagging people who don’t want to be tagged.

I’ve also seen it several times - Facebook mostly, where tagging is readily available - basically shut down a conversation and ice out participants: someone says “@sailboat is our authority on amazons”, (not to pick on you, my good friend! You’re just convenient) the OP - especially if new to the forum - gets it planted in their mind that only sailboat has advice worth hearing, nevermind we have many Amazon owners here with a breadth of experience to share.

Suddenly everyone is tagging only sailboat, devaluing others. Or in the worst case, inflame egos that don’t need further fanning (we’ve had a poster or two in the past I could totally imagine hogging a thread with implied “I was tagged so I’m right and everyone else is wrong” or l”I was tagged so only I should be giving advice here!”).

Great points my good friend! And, although I consider myself an Amazon Snob, I have never considered myself an expert. Especially, since we have so many Amazon owners here...

Most Reactions