Tail feather molting?

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi all! I just got my first bird, a green cheek conure named Kure, yesterday and have a question about molting. Today when I got home I realized there was a tail feather on the bottom of the cage. It doesnā€™t seem like it was removed forcefully, but I thought Iā€™d ask you guys just in case. Is there any way to tell if it was molted naturally or if it got caught on something? She is going through one right now, there are pin feathers all over her head. (I attached a picture as well)

Attachments

• IMG_4839.jpeg
    IMG_4839.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 12

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi all! I just got my first bird, a green cheek conure named Kure, yesterday and have a question about molting. Today when I got home I realized there was a tail feather on the bottom of the cage. It doesnā€™t seem like it was removed forcefully, but I thought Iā€™d ask you guys just in case. Is there any way to tell if it was molted naturally or if it got caught on something? She is going through one right now, there are pin feathers all over her head. (I attached a picture as well)
That feather looks ok to me. Generally if it had been plucked there would be more evidence of damage from chewing, or even a bit of flesh stuck inside the shaft or some blood, and this one looks pretty clean. I'm by no means an expert as I've never had a plucker, but this feather looks to me like it was moulted naturally :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That feather looks ok to me. Generally if it had been plucked there would be more evidence of damage from chewing, or even a bit of flesh stuck inside the shaft or some blood, and this one looks pretty clean. I'm by no means an expert as I've never had a plucker, but this feather looks to me like it was moulted naturally :)
How old is Kure? I think a green cheek would be ready to start its first molt at around six or eight months old. The feather in the picture you posted looks like it fell out naturally, not plucked.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I was hoping so, she doesnā€™t seem to be showing any signs of plucking and her other feathers look fine. Thank you for your response!

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
How old is Kure? I think a green cheek would be ready to start its first molt at around six or eight months old. The feather in the picture you posted looks like it fell out naturally, not plucked.
She is about 10-11 months now, she hatched last December. I know she had already started about a month ago because she had pin feathers when I went to visit her. Thank you for your response!

Most Reactions

Latest posts