Talk me out of getting a large macaw!

Zoe most definitely cannot be cage free. She can't even be cage free when I go to the bathroom for 30 seconds. Last time I did that she was hanging from the bathroom door handle trying to remove it when I came out.

The way she does the cage doors is to remove the locking mechanism first, from there it's easy for her to remove the rest of the door. I never see her do it, only experience the aftermath.

Last edited:
I wonder if this cage would be BTM proof:

Welcome to Animal Environments

Here's a youtube video that shows more information on Animal Environments cages

[ame="https://youtu.be/PoRsSt-OhKo"]Animal Environments Stainless Steel Cages [Customizable Options] - YouTube[/ame]

Notice how I'm getting totally off topic? I'm supposed to be discussing the reasons NOT to get a big macaw, not show you the cages I've been researching for a big macaw!!!

Wendy - You KNOW I'm trying to kid MYSELF - ha!

I "stumbled" upon this cage when I was looking for stainless steel cages in a Hahns size. But, I always get sidetracked and end up checking out the bigger cages, you know, just in case.

I would say there's not going to be a considerable difference. They are all have the same kind of attention and need requirements. Yes big macs need bigger cages, larger perches..etc etc. But its not that big of a deal. The only thing I would note is that I'm having a hard time finding people willing to handle my large Mac. She's super sweet and they see her interact with me, but her physical size and beak size intimidate people, making socialization a bit of a pain.

She's super sweet and they see her interact with me, but her physical size and beak size intimidate people, making socialization a bit of a pain.

I have that same problem with my Hahn's. People see his beak compared to his body and that point at the end and they say no thanks! :) Can only imagine how they would react to a full size Mac lol

I consider "Bonded" Macaws [
a easy bird :)]

GreatBlue320, I think the subject of this thread has a typo. I think you meant "in to" rather than "out of" LOL. Actually, I don't think you need us for that anyways:) However, good point about the being scared of mac thing...I have thought of that before and even finding someone to bird sit for a mac would be waaaay different than for a budgie, for example. People tend to fear the beak!

I've been joking with my son that we should just go for it all... clear out the living room (that we just remodeled), get the mammoth Luxor cage and get a Hyacinth! LOL!

Thanks everyone for your comments - keep them coming.

Well, it's definitely not cheap to own a macaw:)

I've been joking with my son that we should just go for it all... clear out the living room (that we just remodeled), get the mammoth Luxor cage and get a Hyacinth! LOL!

Thanks everyone for your comments - keep them coming.

Excellent suggestion! [emoji5]

What size cage is your B&G in, Christinenc2000?

And what size cage is Zoe in, thekarens?

Here is a link to the cage my B & G is in . Lots of room . Bought it when I adopted him In OCT and no issues

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Silverado-Dometop-3155S/dp/B000TZ3P6W/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1433974774&sr=8-14&keywords=bird+cage+large"]Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Silverado Macaw Dometop Cage 3155S Silverado 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch : Macaw Bird Cage : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Greatblue, I feel your pain of this decision. I'm trying to talk myself out of and into an RFM or eclectus. Problem is when you've only had a conure, it's hard to understand how imposing a larger bird would be as far as time investment. RFM would likely need more attention than an eclectus as a higher energy (dog vs cat). Other times I'm thinking "I'm guaranteed to be fine with a blue crowned conure, why push the envelope into unknown territory?"

It's fascinating to watch my opinion change day to day, I'm not usually this indecisive. One day I feel like a medium parrot won't be any more imposing than a conure other than cage size and I get torn between RFM/eclectus. the next I feel like there will be an overwhelming imposition in comparison and the conure is for me. Day after, I'm ok with the less demanding Eclecutus since the RFM is too energetic, and by the end of the week I'm excited for the energy of the macaw. And the cycle begins again.

Schizophrenic much?

Chris-md, I hate to say that misery loves company, but I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who has become schizophrenic!

Do you think you will ever be able to make a decision? My mood/mind changes so frequently that I am afraid to make any decisions at this point.

My BTM(Emit) unlike Zoe loves wood toys, the harder they are for him to shred up the better lol. And I leave my little guy out "free" all day but he is in his own room since we have 3 dogs. The only damage he's done, he did in his first week of coming home. Where he tore holes in the plastic blinds and took the corner off the closet door in the room. But ever since I set boundaries, (ex. you do something bad, you get cage time and i leave the room.) thats probably my most effective tactic for curving his bad behavior lol.
I wouldn't trade my Emit for any other bird/mammal/reptile or person in the world! So just saying if you don't mind a very mechanical and extremely affectionate macaw, to the point you just wanna kiss them and snuggle ALL the time, then I say go for it! You won't regret it.

P.S. They're soon much fun, I'm adding another to my family lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back