Talk me out of getting a large macaw!

And NJ is one of the few states that requires registration.

CA does NOT! Check with CT, but I doubt it.

I'm really sorry to have opened up a can of worms on your thread Great Blue. :( I just knew about the law and felt like I could never adopt a BFM since they are not bred in my state. I didn't mean to make this complicated for you.

But there sounds like there is hope for you. So please don't give up. Do your research, find out all you can and I am sure it can happen. You have a lot of great advice on here. I've got my fingers crossed it will happen for you. Good luck.

Oh no need to apologize, Blancaej! I'm actually quite grateful that you did! I don't want to do anything against the law. Please don't feel bad. :)

There is a way to make it happen!! Perhaps if you used your btm to raise money for conservation you could be able to obtain a permit? Or something along those lines.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to continue to research the law to see if there is a legal way to get my BTM. If there isn't, then I'm going to have to choose another type of birdie.

REM is a BTM in green and red. Equally great choice.

Oh no need to apologize, Blancaej! I'm actually quite grateful that you did! I don't want to do anything against the law. Please don't feel bad. :)

Thanks! I feel better already. ;) I am glad finding out about the law has been helpful. The law really does nothing to help the birds in the wild. I don't understand why they even put it in place. Makes it hard for those of us who have limited access to breeders in our states. But it is what it is. Where there is a will there is a way, right? ;)

By the way...how are we doing in talking you out of a macaw? ;)

You don't want a full size macaw. Their poop comes out like Niagara falls! :)
I had 2 Linnies. Now they are major poop machines. Macaws don't even come close! [emoji12]

You don't want a full size macaw. Their poop comes out like Niagara falls! :)

Ok, seriously I was taking a drink of water when I read this..... shot water out of my nose and startled Loki when I laughed.

To be completely honest, 3 things made me pick a mini macaw over the full sized guy...

1. Huge "crowbar" on the face of a big macaw is a bit intimidating
2. Watching a green wing eat and seeing him use his beak to shove huge amounts of seeds out of his bowl
3. Poop that was so big it looked like someone dropped a scoop of ice cream on a hot sidewalk

That being said, I would jump at the chance to get a BTM or RFM.....

Hey everyone, guess what?

We've come full circle - back to the very original topic of this thread - downsides of owning a large macaw...

#1 Niagra falls-like, ice cream scoop sized poop that may or may not run down your back. ;)

Next?

I can certainly agree with food shoveling. Everything within a 4 ft radius of Phoebes playstand is graveyard...tons of shredded paper and toys and you never quite know what texture you'll step on next..will it be slimmy because she managed to drop a bomb outside target range..or will it be a nut shell waiting to stab your foot. Everyone treads carefully in her area. She can also spit food across the room. I've lost hope on keeping the house clean during her play hours because it just gets destroyed again in 5 minutes. All of these reasons could be a major turn off for someone. While I miss having a reasonably easy house to clean, I can also say that it's all worth it. She just glows when she gets to rip stuff apart!

Hey everyone, guess what?

We've come full circle - back to the very original topic of this thread - downsides of owning a large macaw...

#1 Niagra falls-like, ice cream scoop sized poop that may or may not run down your back. ;)

Next?

I can honestly say Zoe has pooped on me no more than twice in the 2 years we've had her. We didn't train her. It's another thing that seems to come naturally with her.

Same with my Emit, he flies to his cage and poops rather than on me. He started doing that on his own lol plus the only really big poop he does is in the first of the morning.

And yay!! You could have a baby from Wendy! I highly recommend her, Emit came home and on day two he was letting me hold him like a baby in my arms!

Last edited:
My macs have never pooped on me. My CAG yes, but not the macs. I even let Savannah ride in my car with no paper. She does great. Has only pooped in my cara couple of times. But she usually waits until we get to work and goes in the bird room!

#2 Maybe loud! Nothing like having a macaw squawk in your ear! Leaves you deaf for at least a minute or two! :11:

Last edited:
I've started putting BB on the deck.... In a cage. He loves it BUT he will flock call when he has had enough and wants to come in. The couple that lives 1/2 mile down the creek could hear him. I know sounds travels on water but 1/2 mile LOL did not sound that loud here but they told me they kept looking in the tree's every Saturday evening and could not figure what was going on . Another friend finally told them LOL

He never does the flock call inside . Only when outside

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back