Taming flock calling

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Mei and rei in the last 2 months have gotten absolutely horrible with flock calling, nothing I seem to do will get them to quiet down.

I've done the reward quiet time, ignore, respond to the call.

Any time I'm doing something in a different room they cannot join in, they will just scream constantly. And I cannot have that continually happening. Or even just in their cage and they cannot come out for a bit while I cook ( still in sight for that one)

They eat well, have plenty of time outside their cage, 12 hour sleep time. It's just gotten nuts recently. This was never a issue before.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Mei and rei in the last 2 months have gotten absolutely horrible with flock calling, nothing I seem to do will get them to quiet down.

I've done the reward quiet time, ignore, respond to the call.

Any time I'm doing something in a different room they cannot join in, they will just scream constantly. And I cannot have that continually happening. Or even just in their cage and they cannot come out for a bit while I cook ( still in sight for that one)

They eat well, have plenty of time outside their cage, 12 hour sleep time. It's just gotten nuts recently. This was never a issue before.

It is not flock calling, it is alarm calling. Again only happening when they can't come out of the cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Remember that Parrots are either flock or group /family, social creatures and interacting with the flock /group is what they do! When one is out of sight, or then cannot join the 'others' they call!

One of the things you can do is to become that 'Crazy Bird Person' by become part of chatter, I.e. join them! Nothing has the day passing by smoothly then chatting with ones family while your busy elsewhere.

The other is to consider far more out of cage time!

FYI: Your original Thread uses the term 'Train' and I would like to say that 'training' out a hardwired activity is near impossible. The goal is to display the activities with other activities, i.e. keeping them busy. You continue to become ever more important to them and as a result, you're keeping in touch with them. becomes ever more important.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Remember that Parrots are either flock or group /family, social creatures and interacting with the flock /group is what they do! When one is out of sight, or then cannot join the 'others' they call!

One of the things you can do is to become that 'Crazy Bird Person' by become part of chatter, I.e. join them! Nothing has the day passing by smoothly then chatting with ones family while your busy elsewhere.

The other is to consider far more out of cage time!

FYI: Your original Thread uses the term 'Train' and I would like to say that 'training' out a hardwired activity is near impossible. The goal is to display the activities with other activities, i.e. keeping them busy. You continue to become ever more important to them and as a result, you're keeping in touch with them. becomes ever more important.
It's not flock calling, it's alarm calls

It is tempertamtrums after watching the behaviour.

There is no such thing as more outside cage time, then spend almost every minute they can outside their cage. Minus when I go to work and doing chores they cannot join with ( this is when they start. I could bit sitting by the cage and they alarm call ) aka 11-12 hours 4 days a week and 5-6 hours during the 3 days I work.

Talking to them just increases it.
Never a problem till recently.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
What does their body language look like when they are calling? If they are "skinny" and standing very straight posture with all their feathers pressed tight against the body, this could be alarm calling. Generally an alarm call only happens when they are scared and doesn't last for long periods of time. If they are calling when you're not within sight for long periods of time that is likely flock calling.

My GCC flock calls whenever I have to put her in the cage while I'm home (which is not often). I do a short whistle back to her to let her know I'm still around. Eventually she stops. Have you tried making sure the cage is filled with foraging activities to distract them? Stuff some finger trap toys with millet or avi cake, make a veggie skewer, etc. A busy bird is a quiet bird.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
There is no more out of the cage time, outside of when I go to work and the limited time I do chores they cannot join in. Between 11-12 hours 4 days a week.

They throw fits even if I sit right by the cage folding laundry they alarm call. It only started recently. As temp
What does their body language look like when they are calling? If they are "skinny" and standing very straight posture with all their feathers pressed tight against the body, this could be alarm calling. Generally an alarm call only happens when they are scared and doesn't last for long periods of time. If they are calling when you're not within sight for long periods of time that is likely flock calling.

My GCC flock calls whenever I have to put her in the cage while I'm home (which is not often). I do a short whistle back to her to let her know I'm still around. Eventually she stops. Have you tried making sure the cage is filled with foraging activities to distract them? Stuff some finger trap toys with millet or avi cake, make a veggie skewer, etc. A busy bird is a quiet bird.

Either way noise that has never happened at this point, they have lots of toys to play with. Chew on etc. They don't really play with anything no matter what I have tried.

Replying back to the calls make it 2-3x worse. But I'm not the one really having problems with it but my roommate/ friend. Because they majorly only do it when he is home alone.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
There is no more out of the cage time, outside of when I go to work and the limited time I do chores they cannot join in. Between 11-12 hours 4 days a week.

They throw fits even if I sit right by the cage folding laundry they alarm call. It only started recently. As temp

Either way noise that has never happened at this point, they have lots of toys to play with. Chew on etc. They don't really play with anything no matter what I have tried.

Replying back to the calls make it 2-3x worse. But I'm not the one really having problems with it but my roommate/ friend. Because they majorly only do it when he is home alone.

I can try veggie skewers again, but they don't really bother with them. They have lots to do in their cage.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Have you tried playing music for them when you put them in the cage? Many times this can help them feel less alone.

It’s important to understand what kind of call it is so you can get down to the root of the behavior. Where is their cage located? Are they somewhere where they can see people in the house or in their own room? If this happens a lot when your roommate is home alone with them they may be calling because they can hear him in the house but not see him. Birds wants to be with their flock instinctually.

if they aren’t interested in toys you may need to “teach” them how to play with them. Play with them yourself around them and eventually they will gain interest. I’d also try a variety of different kinds of toys to see what they like. Sola balls are popular with Conures too and can keep their beaks busy.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Have you tried playing music for them when you put them in the cage? Many times this can help them feel less alone.

It’s important to understand what kind of call it is so you can get down to the root of the behavior. Where is their cage located? Are they somewhere where they can see people in the house or in their own room? If this happens a lot when your roommate is home alone with them they may be calling because they can hear him in the house but not see him. Birds wants to be with their flock instinctually.

if they aren’t interested in toys you may need to “teach” them how to play with them. Play with them yourself around them and eventually they will gain interest. I’d also try a variety of different kinds of toys to see what they like. Sola balls are popular with Conures too and can keep their beaks busy.

Always have music or something on. I have other animals so I don't leave my house quiet.

Their cage is located in the livingroom where they can see on either side of the trailer.

Doesn't matter where you are and they are in their cage. if you sit right infront of them in their cage, they will scream wanting out.

I've tried various toys spending hundreds and they don't care about them. Even if I show them it, stash food etc. No interest. Some birds don't like toys. Charlie my uncles 25 year old African grey never played with them and they spent hundreds if not thousands over the years and he didn't like anything.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
As Ona's Mom mentioned, many birds need to be taught how to play with toys. We had to do this with many of our birds, and before long they were playing with them without me.
I've luckily never had a bird who didn't like toys at all.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
As Ona's Mom mentioned, many birds need to be taught how to play with toys. We had to do this with many of our birds, and before long they were playing with them without me.
I've luckily never had a bird who didn't like toys at all.

I've been trying for over the last year and 3ish months. Absolutely no interest for either of them.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
At this point I've gotten it to stop 99% of the time they don't yell when I am home. With rewarding the quiet time.

Most of the problem is while I'm gone and my friend is home ( who doesn't interact with them much which I can't fix ) say they yell for hours. Which I can't do much about if I'm not home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I've been trying for over the last year and 3ish months. Absolutely no interest for either of them.
At this point I've gotten it to stop 99% of the time they don't yell when I am home. With rewarding the quiet time.

Most of the problem is while I'm gone and my friend is home ( who doesn't interact with them much which I can't fix ) say they yell for hours. Which I can't do much about if I'm not home.

Have you tried a lot of different kinds of toys? I wouldn't give up on toys yet, they would really help with their noise while you aren't home because it would keep them busy.

From what I read, Linnies like balsa wood, vine toys, basically anything they can shred. I bet they would also like cardboard and cupcake holders because they're both easily shreddable.

They are also supposed to like bells, stainless steel tube bells are the safest as they can't get to the clapper and remove it.

I'm glad they're doing better when you're home, that's a step in the right direction:)

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Have you tried a lot of different kinds of toys? I wouldn't give up on toys yet, they would really help with their noise while you aren't home because it would keep them busy.

From what I read, Linnies like balsa wood, vine toys, basically anything they can shred. I bet they would also like cardboard and cupcake holders because they're both easily shreddable.

They are also supposed to like bells, stainless steel tube bells are the safest as they can't get to the clapper and remove it.

I'm glad they're doing better when you're home, that's a step in the right direction:)
They never made much noise when I'm home anyways.

Tries everything. They don't like toys. I've done even toddler, rabbit, cat toys

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
No one home and they are dead silent.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Cause this is how quiet my home is and that's with 4 green cheeks while I'm home ( temporarily looked after another pair for a few days ), in their cages for a few hours.

So this noise is completely out of the normal that we have.

Attachments

• 20230317_170430.mp4
    9.5 MB

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Different species of birds can have different levels of noise. I have 5 conures in the same room, and my room is quiet like yours when they're in their cages. When I had budgies in there, they were noisier and made noise more often than my 5 conures put together.

It looks like the conures in your picture were chewing up the box in there. It would be worth another try using cardboard with your Linnies. I wouldn't use a box, though, as it can cause hormonal behaviour.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Different species of birds can have different levels of noise. I have 5 conures in the same room, and my room is quiet like yours when they're in their cages. When I had budgies in there, they were noisier and made noise more often than my 5 conures put together.

It looks like the conures in your picture were chewing up the box in there. It would be worth another try using cardboard with your Linnies. I wouldn't use a box, though, as it can cause hormonal behaviour.

I don't own linnies. I have green cheeks

The box isn't theirs, it's my rabbits.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I don't own linnies. I have green cheeks

The box isn't theirs, it's my rabbits.
My green cheeks, they don't touch cardboard boxes.

My rabbits chew on their boxes happily.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If the roommate is the issue, can you roll their cages into your room and shut the door whenever you’re not home? Kirby barks and carrys on if anyone is visible or audible, but is totally fine if he’s got music on and his door is shut. Not sure what kind of cage your birds have, but most flight cages have wheels.

Most Reactions

Latest posts