Temperature and Humidity

Kenneth91619

Feb 22, 2022
Parrots
Peaceface Lovebirds
So I'm building a walk-in enclosure and would like my lovebirds to hang out in the enclosure. The enclosure is being built for my cherry headed tortoises and it will essentially a oversized vivarium. I have done painstaking research on a complete list of safe plants for both my torts and lovebirds. By safe I mean non-toxic and wont kill them if accidentally ingested. Its going to be a high tech enclosure that is budgeted for 8-10k for everything. Its going to be 100% automated. My question is will the temperature and humidity cause any harm short term or long term to my birds. I have done research and have found regions that Peachface lovebirds live in to be between 70-80F average annual and a humidity of 80% on average annually. Also doing research I know lovebirds love to be misted in general and in many cases many times a day. My enclosure will have a overall average humidty of 80% and temps in the day to be a high of 75F and at night 70F. Not that I plan on letting them sleep there at night. I have done extensive research in the build materials, overall design and safety for all my animals. Its too long to include in this question but its all non-toxic and parrot proof. In addition to this I plan on setting the misters on 3 times a day for 5 minutes at a time the water will come from my RO/DI system so it will be pure water with no trace elements and a TDS of 0.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I'm building a walk-in enclosure and would like my lovebirds to hang out in the enclosure. The enclosure is being built for my cherry headed tortoises and it will essentially a oversized vivarium. I have done painstaking research on a complete list of safe plants for both my torts and lovebirds. By safe I mean non-toxic and wont kill them if accidentally ingested. Its going to be a high tech enclosure that is budgeted for 8-10k for everything. Its going to be 100% automated. My question is will the temperature and humidity cause any harm short term or long term to my birds. I have done research and have found regions that Peachface lovebirds live in to be between 70-80F average annual and a humidity of 80% on average annually. Also doing research I know lovebirds love to be misted in general and in many cases many times a day. My enclosure will have a overall average humidty of 80% and temps in the day to be a high of 75F and at night 70F. Not that I plan on letting them sleep there at night. I have done extensive research in the build materials, overall design and safety for all my animals. Its too long to include in this question but its all non-toxic and parrot proof. In addition to this I plan on setting the misters on 3 times a day for 5 minutes at a time the water will come from my RO/DI system so it will be pure water with no trace elements and a TDS of 0.
Let me just say, that can be super dangerous, both for the tortoises and the birds. Bird poop can stick on the eyes, nose, and food of the tortoises, causing them to be sick. It's really dangerous and not a good idea at all. You would have to get something solid to put in between the birds and the torts.

OP
K

Kenneth91619

Feb 22, 2022
Parrots
Peaceface Lovebirds
Let me just say, that can be super dangerous, both for the tortoises and the birds. Bird poop can stick on the eyes, nose, and food of the tortoises, causing them to be sick. It's really dangerous and not a good idea at all. You would have to get something solid to put in between the birds and the torts.
I admire your concern but Im not worried in the slightest about my birds pooping on the shells of my torts. Im home all day long so there would be no incident that could arise that I would be able to intervene. As far as their food it will be under a 3ft long tree trunk that will meet one of the walls at a 45Β° angle. Im well aware of safe and toxic wood, plants etc. Are you aware in the wild there are birds that coexist with all species of torts? I would wash any droppings off my torts personally but bird poop, weather, elements wear down shells naturally. Im simply seeking for an answer for my question. Many Thanks

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I admire your concern but Im not worried in the slightest about my birds pooping on the shells of my torts. Im home all day long so there would be no incident that could arise that I would be able to intervene. As far as their food it will be under a 3ft long tree trunk that will meet one of the walls at a 45Β° angle. Im well aware of safe and toxic wood, plants etc. Are you aware in the wild there are birds that coexist with all species of torts? I would wash any droppings off my torts personally but bird poop, weather, elements wear down shells naturally. Im simply seeking for an answer for my question. Many Thanks
Ok, cool, I just needed more info. I'd say the humidity would be fine, provided that the birds can have a dry spot to go if they need to.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
To specify why they need a dry spot:
1. Water can get in their nostrils and drown them
2. They may start hating water/going outside if sprayed more often than they'd like

OP
K

Kenneth91619

Feb 22, 2022
Parrots
Peaceface Lovebirds
Ok, cool, I just needed more info. I'd say the humidity would be fine, provided that the birds can have a dry spot to go if they need to.
That was my main concern. So in the center 3ftx3ft wont have any misters or any plants that require misting. That is the dry spot so to speak. I wanted to offer them an area to escape when the misters turned on and they didnt want to get wet. Im prepared to remove the birds as well if anything should come up that could endanger them or the torts. I just wanted to put that out there. I wanted to provide them with some enrichment for a few hours a day with supervision of course. This has been months in the planning and I have gone through revisions with the help of people. In the future I wanna build a greenhouse/aviary that is planted with foliage that we can send time in. Im compromising on free flight if its inside the aviary. I fear for their safety out in the open I live in an area with alot of birds of prey. You see them daily so this is a cool way for them to stretch their wings and live a good life.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
That was my main concern. So in the center 3ftx3ft wont have any misters or any plants that require misting. That is the dry spot so to speak. I wanted to offer them an area to escape when the misters turned on and they didnt want to get wet. Im prepared to remove the birds as well if anything should come up that could endanger them or the torts. I just wanted to put that out there. I wanted to provide them with some enrichment for a few hours a day with supervision of course. This has been months in the planning and I have gone through revisions with the help of people. In the future I wanna build a greenhouse/aviary that is planted with foliage that we can send time in. Im compromising on free flight if its inside the aviary. I fear for their safety out in the open I live in an area with alot of birds of prey. You see them daily so this is a cool way for them to stretch their wings and live a good life.
Hey, it sounds super cool, and I'd definitely try it! Seems you've worked very hard on it, and I can tell that you love your birds. Please, PLEASE post pics!

MaddenPugh

Oct 23, 2023
Your thorough research is impressive. The temperature and humidity levels you've planned seem well-suited to both species. Just keep an eye on your lovebirds when they're first introduced to the enclosure to ensure they're comfortable. If you have any doubts, it might be a good idea to consult with an avian veterinarian. And if you haven't already, consider checking out tortoiseowner.com for any insights on tortoise care that might be relevant to your enclosure project.

Last edited:

Danny1

Oct 18, 2023
Parrots
2 Sun Conure
This is something I also thought about doing. My biggest concern is the birds getting too comfortable with the tortoises and the tortoises attempting to take a bite at the birds. I do not know the behavior of lovebirds or most birds in fact but I am extremely familiar with tortoises and as you may know they will take curious bites at anything. I can see this happening when you feed the tortoises and the birds try to pick at their food or something. Have heard of tortoises eating dead birds that they came across. With some species purposely killing birds. With cherry heads they are not shy to eat some protein in the form of bugs. I am curious to know how this plays out but just something to look out for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts