Temperature for 0 day old conure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure, Cinnamon Green-Cheek Conure, African Ringneck Parakeet, Canary-Winged Parakeet
I have a conure who just hatched earlier today. I had read online that anything between 65 and 85 is good, even for newborns, but this little baby seems to be shaking a bit. Its mother won't sit on it. I have a brooder, I'm just second-guessing what I've heard about temperature for a newborn bird.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
32-35 degrees Celsius is ideal for newly hatched babies. Then once they reach pinfeather stage drop the temp to 24-30 degrees Celsius. The key is observation, if they seem cold (lethargic, slow crop movements after feeding), increase the temperature within the parameters, and of course if they seem too hot, drop the temperature a little bit (very slowly, if you drop the temperature too quickly it could give them a shock). Depending on the climate you live in and the chick itself, it may be a little bit of close observation and altering to find out what temp suits best

OP
C

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure, Cinnamon Green-Cheek Conure, African Ringneck Parakeet, Canary-Winged Parakeet
32-35 degrees Celsius is ideal for newly hatched babies. Then once they reach pinfeather stage drop the temp to 24-30 degrees Celsius. The key is observation, if they seem cold (lethargic, slow crop movements after feeding), increase the temperature within the parameters, and of course if they seem too hot, drop the temperature a little bit (very slowly, if you drop the temperature too quickly it could give them a shock). Depending on the climate you live in and the chick itself, it may be a little bit of close observation and altering to find out what temp suits best
Thank you so much. The baby has stopped curling up and shaking. It looks redder than before and is still squirming and chirping a lot. Is that okay? The temperature is set just above 32Β°C now.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi, are you doing ok feeding the chick? I have had to go through this process with sun conure chicks from day of hatch. Let us know if you have questions and good luck!

OP
C

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Hi, are you doing ok feeding the chick? I have had to go through this process with sun conure chicks from day of hatch. Let us know if you have questions and good luck!
Thank you so much! I haven't tried feeding the chick yet, I heard you're not supposed to attempt a first feeding before a bird is 12 hours old.

OP
C

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yes, a hybrid of a Black-Capped Conure and a cinnamon GCC. I did my research which said it's okay to mix species of birds as long as they're in the same genera.
Cool, I wonder how it'll turn out...

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Anyhow, look at Beak-Beaks thread, Hindsight is 20/20, it's a pretty great thread!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
32”C should be ok, if it’s active and a bit brighter in colour that’s excellent to hear. Just ensure to keep close observation for any changes, if it’s chirping a lot it might be starting to get close to having its first hand feed.

I admire that you’ve taken the leap with such a young baby, if it wasn’t for your intervention it more than likely would’ve died and Vets are incredibly reluctant to take in very young chicks due to round the clock feeds. Observation is key at this stage, when nearing the 12 hr mark you can slowly tempt the chick into feeding by providing small amounts of food to the side of the beak and seeing if they’re keen to eat or not. Make sure to check every couple hours

OP
C

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
12 hours max. I waited 12 hours with the last chick (to see if mom would feed and she didn’t) and it was no problem.
Thank you for the advice. The baby has been feeding successfully! He doesn't open his mouth very wide so it's a big mess, but he definitely swallows his food and it can be seen in his crop. He's started pooping when he's brought out for more food, and he calls out constantly when he's hungry which is helpful. He's also getting stronger already. :)

D

Deleted member 42416

Thank you for the advice. The baby has been feeding successfully! He doesn't open his mouth very wide so it's a big mess, but he definitely swallows his food and it can be seen in his crop. He's started pooping when he's brought out for more food, and he calls out constantly when he's hungry which is helpful. He's also getting stronger already. :)
It’s so amazing and gratifying to see them do well! I never want to do it again for a hatchling, but wouldn’t trade that experience for the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions