terrible twos

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
so solo is going to be two this year and his terrible two phase seems to be hitting early
yikes.gif
He isn't being aggressive but he is biting or chewing my fingers , hands , ears and really anything he can and it is super painful
frown.gif
. my hands are full of bruses and sores complements of him.
i started target traing which he masterd in 2 days and it didnt help one bit with his behavior
confused.gif
Don't get me wrong I love spending time with my little monster boy but it is not something im excited to do anymore , it's starting to become a task. i know its just his hormones going crazy but it doesnt help the pain.
when he bites i let him do it until he is finished, i don't pull my had away or make a fuss i just bit my lip and deal with it.
i thought about waering gloves but that is avoiding the problem rather then dealing with it which will do no good for the future.
i have hit a mental block with him i just relate spending time with him with pain and frustration which is not right
shrug.GIF

i need to find a way to work through this with him because im in it for the long haul , he is my baby and i will always be there for him because that is the commitment i made to him and i couldnt imagine my life without him
lovehearts.gif
but i need your help and suggestions as to what to do to help him get through this phase
thank you in advance
jess and solo

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Solobaby, parrots don't really go through the terrible two's it is a label we humans have put in place to explain a behaviour.

Do you know what triggers Solo's biting you. Can you read his body language. Does he have a balanced diet. He is a little to young to be hormonal & really that shouldn't cause the biting.

I am wondering what happens just before he bites.

https://companionparrotonline.com/incident_to_pattern.html

Please read this link.

OP
solobaby

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
thats the problem normally i can tell if he is going to bite but at the moment he will be loving me then lean down and start chewing my fingers, he doesnt lunge and his eyes don't pin
he has pellets always avalible as well as seed at night and fresh food in the mornings and nights

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
We have a saying "If you can make it through the birds first 10 years, you can make it through anything" ;) Hang in there. I have no advice really, except maybe to put Solo away, or on a perch, when he gets overly nippy? It's what we do with Loki and now with Sugar. They are either too excited to see us, over stimulated, hungry or tired when they start getting nippy. At least, my guys are.

charliesmommy

Mar 24, 2012
Media
Albums
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Charlie:my blue Indian ring neck and Twiggy, a grey cockatiel.
I'm having problems with my male ring kneck also. He's much younger (5 months old) but, all of a sudden he went from being my sweet cuddly baby to not wanting anything to do with me what-so-ever. He squawks at me and RUNS away from me. When I do hold him, he squirms, screams and he tries to bite me. He will go to my husband but he isn't affectionate with him either. Nothing has happened to him, no traumatizing event. He gets plenty of attention and he has a well balanced diet. It doesn't make any sense! I don't know why he has changed so much, I'm heart broken. Will he love me again ?

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
April - 32 year old Panama Amazon!
Zuri - 3 year old Congo African grey
George - 4 year old Panama Amazon
I don't have any advice as to why he is biting. We have a 6 year old U2, when he gets excited he will bite, or when I try to put him up and he doesn't want to go. This has only happened a few times. When I am holding him and I see he is getting excited he has to go to his perch or top of his cage. He is learning he has to be calm when being held.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
if you over cuddle them they get overly stimulated and release it by biting. a great website that could really help you is
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...t-nKCg&usg=AFQjCNGfLM5nKbyvHtxaVSfxjBtR2aJVSg

you can also give him a toy or puzzle to distract him and redirect his attention when he gets nippy, not as a reward, just a disctraction. you can also put him on the floor right after he bites, it is an uncomfortable place for them so if you do it every time, he will learn that when he bites, he gets put on the floor which he doesnt want. good luck and thankful for being so loyal to him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts