Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Perhaps it should be The Eupsittula Club. This was recorded just after the first few minutes, where I was too focused on them to even think to record it.

Edit: And, I forgot the link.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome Copperfield! Love the name:)

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Welcome Copperfield! Love the name:)
Aww, thanks, @Terry57. I never rename parrots, so I can take no credit on ?his? name. :]

I probably should have shared in the initial post that a lot of planning went into this; and, while the introduction was almost boring, they got the majority of my day yesterday to be sure things went well. I was well prepared for any trouble, with my "peacekeeper" kit.

It is almost as if Copperfield was a member of The Conure Club all along. He just fits right in. His interactions with Pumpkin and Milton are so very much like the interactions between Pumpkin and Milton. Pumpkin and Milton have been together for about two years.

The similarity of interactions is good news and bad news: Good because they are getting along fine, but bad in the sense that we were hoping Pumpkin would react differently. She was extremely pair bonded to her first human. She tried to transfer that to me. (I unknowingly was her rebound white male with facial hair to obsess over.) I got her to stop being a shoulder-bird/Velcro bird (with some help), but she has shown no interest in the numerous Conures she has met (Milton first, then over time, two Duskies, three GCCs, a strange hybrid). We were hoping a same-species might catch her eye. Perhaps time will evolve their relationship. Until yesterday, I said Pumpkin and Milton were alone together, sadly. Copperfield seemed to liven things up a bit, but the new normal was established quite quickly.

Midday, the two BTCs
Milton's sleeping box is on the left; Pumpkin's is on the right
1670179504147.jpeg

Early evening, added a sleeping box and put Copperfield on it
1670179780236.jpeg

Dimming, and "warming" the lights slowly for an hour before lights out
1670179843362.jpeg

They all slept in their sleeping boxes last night. It mainly shields them from early-morning light, as that room is like a fishbowl. Of course, it makes them feel safe. Milton's may keep him a little warmer with his lack of feathers.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Tonight, Copperfield chose a different sleeping location. He stayed there through lights dimming and upon lights out.

1670216229631.png

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Looks like he is settling right in! I bet Copperfield was thrilled with all the freedom he has now.
I always dim our lights as well before bedtime, and I love to hear the shuffling feathers as they all start to settle down. Well, except for Dexter, our YCA. When the lights go down he is ready to eat..
I love conures, they are just as contrary as I am. I see kindred spirits in them, I think..lol

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Looks like he is settling right in! I bet Copperfield was thrilled with all the freedom he has now.
I always dim our lights as well before bedtime, and I love to hear the shuffling feathers as they all start to settle down. Well, except for Dexter, our YCA. When the lights go down he is ready to eat..
I love conures, they are just as contrary as I am. I see kindred spirits in them, I think..lol
Wow, so Dexter does that, too. My one female Senegal, Georgia, she chows down some nights when the lights reach about 50% or more dimming. Many times, she was just eating not long before that. She is quite active for a captive parrot. She flies a lot, partly because she is a busybody. :]

Conures have carved out some real estate in my heart. Peaches, the highly-functioning blind Sun Conure was quite special. Then, I got Milton to fill the conure-shaped hole in my heart when Peaches died. Then, I got Pumpkin for Milton. Now, Copperfield for Pumpkin

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Have you posted pics of Peaches before? I'd love to see that precious girl.

Dex is the only one of our birds that does that. And when it starts getting close to time he screams non-stop until the lights go down and he goes down to eat.

My Meyer's also eats throughout the evening but has to eat some more once the lights do down. Basically, he eats a lot. Haha

A conure can carve that space quickly, can't they?
When we started getting birds again, a conure was the fifth one we got. He was a Crimson-Bellied Conure and was already starting to pluck. He stole my heart the minute he bit me when I met him, he was so feisty. Eventually he plucked almost all of his feathers, but by then we had added 5 more conures and he still ruled the roost. I had gotten a GCC who needed a home and I hoped they would be friends, but the first few months Phoe would chase him off his cage. I wasn't worried because Jax was flighted and could easily escape. Eventually, they made friends, and were best friends to the end.
It will be 4 years on Dec. 30 since we lost him, and Jax still calls for him from time to time. We left Phoe's cage set up and Jax sleeps in his own cage but spends his afternoon rest time in Phoe's. I think that keeping that routine comforts him.
Jax and I grew closer after Phoe passed, I think it helped us both to be able to grieve together.
This was Jax and Phoe together:

6.jpg

I apologize, I didn't mean to hijack your thread:(
Conures comes up and I can't shut up..lol

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Have you posted pics of Peaches before? I'd love to see that precious girl.
I apologize for my lag. Here is a photo of Peaches, keeping me company while I quietly worked on the aviary. He was completely blind, so he is "hearing at me", not "looking at me". DNA testing showed Peaches was a male. : ]
1670788496212.jpeg

A conure can carve that space quickly, can't they?
They sure can! :]
When we started getting birds again, a conure was the fifth one we got. He was a Crimson-Bellied Conure and was already starting to pluck. He stole my heart the minute he bit me when I met him, he was so feisty. Eventually he plucked almost all of his feathers, but by then we had added 5 more conures and he still ruled the roost. I had gotten a GCC who needed a home and I hoped they would be friends, but the first few months Phoe would chase him off his cage. I wasn't worried because Jax was flighted and could easily escape. Eventually, they made friends, and were best friends to the end.
Aww, having friends is a great gift for all involved. I go to great lengths to try to play matchmaker.
It will be 4 years on Dec. 30 since we lost him, and Jax still calls for him from time to time. We left Phoe's cage set up and Jax sleeps in his own cage but spends his afternoon rest time in Phoe's. I think that keeping that routine comforts him.
Jax and I grew closer after Phoe passed, I think it helped us both to be able to grieve together.
This was Jax and Phoe together:
That is a great photo! Did Jax see Phoe's expired body? I showed Peaches' dead body to Charlie (and all the parrots), because Charlie and Peaches lived together for about 25 years before I got them. Charlie had a series of obvious reactions to seeing Peaches lying limp in my hands.

Charlie used to say, "Peaches! Peaches! Gimme a kiss." (Peaches would then blow kisses) and Charlie would also say, "Peaches, look at Charlie." (which is ironic, because Peaches was blind). Charlie has never said Peaches' name again. I still wonder if he understood that Peaches died and was dead when he last saw him.
I apologize, I didn't mean to hijack your thread:(
Conures comes up and I can't shut up..lol
No need to apologize. I love hearing such interesting stories of other parrots! There is a lot of bittersweet in parrot stories, huh?

Most Reactions

Latest posts