The Featherbaby Cook-book

mnsalani

May 18, 2011
Media
Kentucky
Parrots
Sushi, our femme fatale SI Ekkie
This is a compiling of healthy & scrumptious birdie recipes for our little Featherbabies which we can eat right along with 'em!

Feel free to add your own recipes!

Birdie Banana Cookies

These are actually really delicious for us humans too! Plus easy
and healthy!!

-3 ripe bananas
-1/3 cup melted coconut oil
-2 cups oats
-Dried fruit (we like cherries, mango, or papaya)
-Dash of cinnamon
-Dash of pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mash 3 ripe bananas with fork, put aside. Mix all dry ingredients in seperate bowl, toss thoroughly. Add coconut oil and bananas and mix well. Set aside covered for 15 minutes.

On cookie sheet, scoop a large dollop and shape into desired size. We like large mounds. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bottom sides begin to brown. Let cool & enjoy!!

Birdie Banana Ice-Cream (Yes, we eat a lot of bananas at our house)

-As many bananas as you want, just peel, cut into pieces and freeze.

Once ripe bananas are frozen, toss into food processor and blend on high until texture is like ice cream. Enjoy!

The Black Bird Loaf

-1 can of black beans mashed
-1 whole carrot, chopped
-2 celery stalks, minced
-Any other chopped veggies adding up to 1 cup
-1 cup cooked quinoa or whole grain rice
-Salt free italian seasonings
-2 tbs tomato sauce
-4 tbs whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease bread pan and set aside. Mix all ingredients in bowl. Pour into bread pan and pat down firmly. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until browning on top. Let cool & firm an hour before serving.

Little Parrot Sweet-n-Sour Bake

-1 bell pepper
-1/2 cup sliced carrots
-4 cups chopped fresh pineapple
-2 tbs lime juice
-1 tbs honey
-2 tbs olive oil
-1 tbs finely minced cilantro

Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. In large bowl mix lime juice, honey, olive oil and cilantro. Marinate pineapple, carrots and bell pepper in mixture for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. On cookie sheet, spread marinated veggies and pineapple evenly, sprinkling a little of the marinade around them. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until mix is browning. Serve over noodles or rice.

Nesting Egg Noodles

-3 eggs
-4 cups whole wheat flour
-Tiny dash of salt

Add two cups of salt and flour onto table, digging a little hole in the center. Crack eggs one at time into flour, mixing until a dough forms. More flour may be needed. Dough should not be sticky. Knead until it becomes more elastic. Roll out on table until very thin. Hang over side of table for ten minutes, switching which side hangs off every so often. This allows it to dry a bit and stretch out more. Cut to desired thickness after 15 minutes--dough should not be completely dried out. We like ours pretty thick. Boil water and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Use the same day as made.

Cockatoo Country Bean Soup

-3 cans of great northern beans (rinsed several times and drained)
-2 cups low sodium vegetable stalk
-1/2 cup Diced carrot, parsnip or other root vegetable
-1 whole tomato chopped
-Few sprigs of fresh basil
-Hearty dash of italian seasonings

Over medium heat, combine all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Stir. Lower heat and cover, allowing to simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Cool Caique Cucumber Tabouleh

-1 box of coucous (toss spice mixture)
-1 bunch of minced parsley
-Half cucumber, chopped
-2 fresh tomatos
-3 tbs of lemon juice

Cook coucous according to package, not using olive oil or butter. Allow to cool. Cut tomatos and place in lemon juice while coucous is cooling. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl & chill until cold. Serve with whole wheat pita bread.

Pirate Parrot Patty

-1/2 cup cooked & mashed lentils
-1/2 cup mashed black beans
-1 tbs tomato puree/sauce
-1/2 tsp finely minced ginger
-1 tbs finely minced cilantro
-2 tbs minced pineapple
-2 tbs whole wheat flour
-1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Combine lentils, beans and wheat flour, mixing thoroughly. Add all other ingredients except tomato puree. Mix. Add tomato puree until mixture comes together and is slightly tacky--may need to add more flour. Form into patty shapes & place on cookie sheet. Cook for ten minutes on each side or until starting to brown on edges. Serve on whole wheat burger buns--you can even make a tiny a bun out of a larger bun by pressing a shot glass down!!

Macaw Mango Sticky Rice

-2 ripe mangos
-1 tbs of honey
-1 tbs of stevia
-3 cups Japanese sushi rice, cooked according to package

While rice is still warm, mix into honey and stevia. Allow to cool & become sticky. Slice mango & place on top, adding more honey to taste.

Eclectus Energy Chew

-2 cups oats, ground
-1 tbs flax meal
-6 tbs honey
-1/2 tbs sugar free apple sauce
-1 tbs grated carrot
-1 tbs grate apple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Mix dry ingredients together, adding apple sauce, carrot and apple. Mix well. Add honey one tablespoon at a time, mixing after every addition. Mixture should be sticky enough to stay together. Press onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly brown at edges. Cut into desired size and allow to cool.

Conure Cucumber Sandwich

-1 fresh cucumber, sliced into medium-thick pieces
-Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
-2 very ripe apricots or similar fruit (plum, peach), sliced and mashed with fork until gooey

Create a sandwich with a bottom layer of cucumber, add layer of apricot mash & a good helping of mint. Serve open face or add another slice of cucumber. Perfect for afternoon tea with your featherbaby!

Polly's Popcorn Ball

-10 dried dates, organic is best
-1 cup popcorn, smashed into smaller pieces

Cut dates into smaller pieces. Put into food processor on high with a splash of water or water with a bit of lemon juice. Don't add too much water. Mix until mixture becomes sticky and you are able to form into balls. Make as many balls as you can by pressing into palm of hand and rolling it around with firm pressure. Sprinkle smashed popcorn on the counter and roll balls in the popcorn until covered.

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww thank you so much for posting this :)

i often cook our main meals with nut in mind and the egg noodles will be her fav, from what i have read, but i will skip on salt and just add when we eat lol nut loves noodle!!

OP
mnsalani

mnsalani

May 18, 2011
Media
Kentucky
Parrots
I come from a big, proud Italian family & this is a must for us! I usually forget to add the salt anyways, but they always come out tasting great:) My fiance basically begs for them.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
family meals are what nut enjoys the most, she has even stopped inspecting all our plates for best bits :) unless its just me an her :) and i have to admit i let her lol i normally put a bit on the side for her

OP
mnsalani

mnsalani

May 18, 2011
Media
Kentucky
Parrots
Meal times are what I am looking forward to most with my ekkie! I love cooking for others--my fiance doesn't mind at all haha--so being able to care for something so precious while he's at work is perfect! Not to mention being able to spoil her ;)

What's nuts favorite food? You should add a recipe & I'll put it on the list!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
nut likes most things but egg is her fav, or buttered taost lol but she gets a very small nibble of that lol (also cookies etc, but again a tiny nibble)

for most parts i think its as long as she can join in

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
These are great....may I share them on my forum?

OP
mnsalani

mnsalani

May 18, 2011
Media
Kentucky
Parrots
Of course!! And feel free to post some recipes on here and I'll add em up there:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts