The hidden cost of parrot ownership...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So I was working with my (then three, now four, soon to be six, or maybe seven...) THREE birds outside in the tree, and two of my three are flighted and recalled. My little golden conure and my G2 (and now the Eckie as well) and I had them outside in the tree. I called them down, and they flew to me perfectly, like they were supposed to... BUT...

It was my BFA's FIRST EVER time in a tree. Instead of coming down, he went UP.... (He is clipped.) So I went to the back yard to get the ladder to get him down from the tree.... the next memory I have was waking up in the ICU. I'm told I was out for about two hours.

My neighbors apparently found me unconscious in my driveway. Apparently the ladder tipped over when I was at or near the top of it and I went straight backwards onto the driveway. Fractured shoulder blade. Five fractured vertebrae. Eight fractured ribs. Closed head injury. I've been off work for the past two months. Just getting back on my feet.

Thank God the Sheriff's office got Pecker out of the tree and didn't leave him out there...

Anyway, I'm healing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Holy Crap! You sure did a number on yourself; you are one lucky man! Wishing you a full recovery. I know from personal history how long it takes multiple bone breaks to heal and be rehabilitated.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
WHAT???
No more of those kind of shenanigans!

Last edited: