OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Number one required trait for a successful driver is probably flexibility/adaptability, being able to think quickly, calmly, and oftentimes outside of the box/rules. You do this job long enough you are going to be placed in unbelievably high stress situations, put in positions where there is no resource guide or how to book, and there is literally no one you can turn to for help, your on your own. I have trained lots of people over the years how to manage logbooks, perform pre trips, handle a truck on flat ground, mountains, breakdowns, and backing into some real stupid places. The ones that I have always seen do the best afterwards are those who are self motivated, result oriented, able to independently cope with high stress situations, and consider solitude and loneliness good things. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of rewards to this job, I've seen things that the vast majority of Americans (and many people not from America for that matter) will ever see, I have been from the Canadian border to the Mexican border, from the Atlantic to the Pacific and everywhere in between, I have seen the Vegas lights, the Chicago and NYC skylines, seen many historical things in Boston, partied in Nashville with some bigger country acts, met some awesome folks everywhere you can imagine. I have camped in the Rockies, survived subzero blizzards in Montana, seen the stunning scenery in northern Idaho near Coeur d'Alene, had encounters with wolves, bears, bald eagles, alligators, and had the chance to listen to bull elk bugle, I have experienced fast city living, southern hospitality and everything in between, this life has been an adventure with every connotation of the word, personally I doubt I would have done it any other way, it certainly is not for everyone though, you will miss birthdays, children's first days of school and milestones, you will lose friends, not be there when family members pass and will experience a level of isolation that few humans will ever know. It has been a wild ride, and it's a challenge every single day. It has of course been modified a bit by the addition of my feathered codrivers, they keep the level of insanity in check to a large degree, of course I am sure that slowing down a bit is natural as we age as well, I am glad they get to experience this lifestyle, they are tough as nails and generally stoic about interruptions to promised playtime and sleep schedules. These amazing little critters are not delicate little flowers, they are unbelievably adaptive and resourceful and a constant source of inspiration and positivity, they are great additions to the crew.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It appears the linked image is too large...imgur have any way to compress photos?

Remember you're not actually downloading the pics from Imgur to here. You're only copying the BB Code link optimized for message boards and forums (2nd to last option to the right of your selected pic) and pasting it into your reply window. The only limitation you would have to consider is how many pics allowed per post. (I believe it's around 10 images per post.)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
So I gather that you are an owner-operator? After 30+ years I got off the road,mostly because of health reason's,but also because of the idiots that abound on the roads these days. I'm not even current on the new DOT laws. Are you running with paper logs still,or were you forced to go with the electronic log?

Jim

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
So I gather that you are an owner-operator? After 30+ years I got off the road,mostly because of health reason's,but also because of the idiots that abound on the roads these days. I'm not even current on the new DOT laws. Are you running with paper logs still,or were you forced to go with the electronic log?

Jim

I am indeed an O/O, did the company thing for several years but they just couldn't get "No NYC/NE runs" through those thick skulls of theirs, the idiots on the road are an ever present and increasing hazard, from my perspective it is a benefit, life is never more sweet than when someone is constantly trying to take it away, tends to make you value it just a little more. As to the DOT, you are guilty until proven innocent these days, it is not uncommon for the first question they ask to be "How many violations am I going to find on YOUR truck today?" And the days of paper logs are long gone, it's e-logs for all these days. Personally I think it's great, no more cheating to hide hours, those 70 clock hours are now very precious and finite, you want them, you are going to be paying for them. There are of course certain things that I wish could be different, drivers are often forced to drive when tired to make a living and have few options other than risking the O/O path, and that can work very good, or unbelievably bad, but personally if I can't make a living and still have the ability to pull over and rest when tired, I am doing something wrong. Many company drivers don't get that luxury unfortunately.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim

I am indeed an O/O, did the company thing for several years but they just couldn't get "No NYC/NE runs" through those thick skulls of theirs, the idiots on the road are an ever present and increasing hazard, from my perspective it is a benefit, life is never more sweet than when someone is constantly trying to take it away, tends to make you value it just a little more. As to the DOT, you are guilty until proven innocent these days, it is not uncommon for the first question they ask to be "How many violations am I going to find on YOUR truck today?" And the days of paper logs are long gone, it's e-logs for all these days. Personally I think it's great, no more cheating to hide hours, those 70 clock hours are now very precious and finite, you want them, you are going to be paying for them. There are of course certain things that I wish could be different, drivers are often forced to drive when tired to make a living and have few options other than risking the O/O path, and that can work very good, or unbelievably bad, but personally if I can't make a living and still have the ability to pull over and rest when tired, I am doing something wrong. Many company drivers don't get that luxury unfortunately.

My last driving job ended in 2014 due to health reasons ( heart attack! :eek:) It was the writing on the wall so to speak. I pulled 53' reefer trailers,trailers and truck(s) were ALL less than two years old. Did regonial from Maine to Maryland home on weekends and once-in-awhile during the week. Single bunk Freightliner with APU,bunk heater/ac,in-truck fridge,meticulously maintained. When I left they were still fighting the e-logs ( The company had about 50 cabs and 80 trailers..trailers with gps)
I left to be a yard jockey for a major paper product company ( Kimberly Clark) 12 hour days...3 days on,2 off,2 on,3 off..was nice to have a 3 day weekend every other week! but it was also a 60 mile ride from my driveway to theirs! Turned into a 15 hour day most times :(

Off topic here sorry! Your imgar pic worked we need to see more budgieness!

Jim

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Loving the videos, nice surprise! :)

Is that your truck? I was hoping for a truck pic. It looks extra long, is it longer?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
OMG Southern Belle!!! So playful, really trust you!!! Great job!! They both absolutely look so very happy and engaged. I can see Southern Belle does indeed rule the roost!!!!
I'd suggest getting one of those twisty rope perches as your main long perch instead if the dowl. Better for feet, better for grip. And if your other short perches are the rough sand ones get rid of them. They also need one really wide , the let's the foot open almost flat. This helps prevent arthritis, and bumble foot.
My budgies often perch on my crepe myrtle log branches!!
Also Petco had a very nice budgie book that's more current a e talks about enrichment. One thing they mentioned , that I want to do, us to take a small plant saucer and full it with sand for them to walk around on. I'm going to do that soon.
Anyway I love these pictures and videos!!! Seriously happy budgies!!!! I'm smitten with the Southern Belle!!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Object lesson for those who dream of doing this "professional tourist" thing as a career, here is how this morning is developing.

0600CT reveille, out of the rack, cold this morning and the half mile walk across the lot to the latrine was brisk to say the least. Personal hygiene and dishes conducted, return to truck, wake up birds, fresh food and water.

0645CT begin pre trip inspection, ensure proper tire inflation and tread depth, ensure all lights and markers are functioning as designed, test air brakes, air horns, ensure presence of emergency equipment, test all belts, fluid levels and visible hoses/motor components for safety, log starts today at 0645, on the road by 0700, approximately a 1 hour trip from the truck stop to my delivery, upon finding the appropriate entrance (second one, new building under construction with no signage to indicate which, entry off a busy road) I manage to get into the construction area to be unloaded, at 0800 I have still been treated as though I am a carrier of the bubonic plague and no on site personnel want anything to do with this load, it's always "someone else's stuff" and phone calls begin, approximately 1 hour of phone tag ensues and I finally get ahold of the woman in charge of getting trucks unloaded, let's call her Lisa, I am informed that this load was not supposed to ship until tomorrow at the earliest, and that they will try to find time to unload me today, but it might not be until tomorrow or possibly Wednesday.

Side note, these types of delays are relatively frequent, and as the more observant will recall, I have a load scheduled in Russellville Arkansas tomorrow, and a 350ish mile deadhead to get there, we are beginning to have a serious complication on timelines.

Around 1000 hours I am called by the broker and informed that this delay is not going to be paid for by either shipper or receiver and that there is nothing that can be done to speed this up, as it is out of their control. I really am not looking forward to potentially living in a parking lot for 2 days, pretty sure I am better than that lol...maybe McDonald's is hiring.

It's not all roses and sight seeing out here, hopefully the delay will be relatively short, in the meantime, I am feeling like it is playtime for the birds, of course Belle is more interested in her mid day snooze, it's hard work being that good looking let me tell ya, Beau is chatting up a storm with me and I believe he is in full agreement with the condition of the daily developments.
Your Beau, and my Ta-dah are a lot alike. We have our special time right now, no other birds allowed, ( they are all asleep). She spends a lot of time ranting and stomping around telling me all the things that didn't go her way during the day. She stops mid mumbling and looks at me, that's my que to say I totally agree. Then she storms around some more making peeved off sounds. Then it's time for head scritches , kisses.
If she was there this morning all those people who delayed you would be bit, and given an ear full of angry mumbling. Lol she thinks she's talking .

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Loving the videos, nice surprise! :)

Is that your truck? I was hoping for a truck pic. It looks extra long, is it longer?

Um, I don't think so, the cab may be a bit bigger than what you are used to seeing, but much of the trucking in your part of the country is done in daycabs to help mitigate the tight quarters drivers have to deal with. My combination is around 70 feet long, truck and trailer combined.

As far as videos, they are easier to video than to photograph, budgies don't sit particularly still, they are high energy birds that are on the go pretty much any time they are awake and not munching on food, lots of photos I tried to take ended up blurred beyond use because the little turkeys just won't sit still lol

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Object lesson for those who dream of doing this "professional tourist" thing as a career, here is how this morning is developing.

0600CT reveille, out of the rack, cold this morning and the half mile walk across the lot to the latrine was brisk to say the least. Personal hygiene and dishes conducted, return to truck, wake up birds, fresh food and water.

0645CT begin pre trip inspection, ensure proper tire inflation and tread depth, ensure all lights and markers are functioning as designed, test air brakes, air horns, ensure presence of emergency equipment, test all belts, fluid levels and visible hoses/motor components for safety, log starts today at 0645, on the road by 0700, approximately a 1 hour trip from the truck stop to my delivery, upon finding the appropriate entrance (second one, new building under construction with no signage to indicate which, entry off a busy road) I manage to get into the construction area to be unloaded, at 0800 I have still been treated as though I am a carrier of the bubonic plague and no on site personnel want anything to do with this load, it's always "someone else's stuff" and phone calls begin, approximately 1 hour of phone tag ensues and I finally get ahold of the woman in charge of getting trucks unloaded, let's call her Lisa, I am informed that this load was not supposed to ship until tomorrow at the earliest, and that they will try to find time to unload me today, but it might not be until tomorrow or possibly Wednesday.

Side note, these types of delays are relatively frequent, and as the more observant will recall, I have a load scheduled in Russellville Arkansas tomorrow, and a 350ish mile deadhead to get there, we are beginning to have a serious complication on timelines.

Around 1000 hours I am called by the broker and informed that this delay is not going to be paid for by either shipper or receiver and that there is nothing that can be done to speed this up, as it is out of their control. I really am not looking forward to potentially living in a parking lot for 2 days, pretty sure I am better than that lol...maybe McDonald's is hiring.

It's not all roses and sight seeing out here, hopefully the delay will be relatively short, in the meantime, I am feeling like it is playtime for the birds, of course Belle is more interested in her mid day snooze, it's hard work being that good looking let me tell ya, Beau is chatting up a storm with me and I believe he is in full agreement with the condition of the daily developments.
Your Beau, and my Ta-dah are a lot alike. We have our special time right now, no other birds allowed, ( they are all asleep). She spends a lot of time ranting and stomping around telling me all the things that didn't go her way during the day. She stops mid mumbling and looks at me, that's my que to say I totally agree. Then she storms around some more making peeved off sounds. Then it's time for head scritches , kisses.
If she was there this morning all those people who delayed you would be bit, and given an ear full of angry mumbling. Lol she thinks she's talking .

I have found that while it is easy to grow irate with people, yelling at them is not terribly effective, if you can find a way to hold them over a barrel about something (like being incapable of getting around your truck to do anything else) you have a bit of leverage, which if your audacious enough, can be parlayed into them doing what you want, which is how my situation was resolved, I just couldn't remember how to drive the truck while that pesky load was still on the trailer, turns out unloading it was all the cure I needed, who knew? :21:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Do a fair number of long-haul truckers travel with dogs or cats to relieve the monotony? Imagine you are rather rare with birds, though they are ideal in many aspects. Don't have to walk periodically, no need to carry large quantities of specialty foods.

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Do a fair number of long-haul truckers travel with dogs or cats to relieve the monotony? Imagine you are rather rare with birds, though they are ideal in many aspects. Don't have to walk periodically, no need to carry large quantities of specialty foods.

Lots of drivers with dogs, a few with cats, one had a Shetland Pony, met a couple guys from a tribal culture in Africa that kept chickens and a goat on the truck, was unusual to say the least. I find the birds are just great, I plan on some day adding a bigger bird, IRN/Senegal/Conure or something in that size range, that could be harness trained and generally allowed permanent free reign of the truck, and only having a cage for sleep, but that's not going to happen until I get things down to a fine science with Belle and Beau.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Great videos! Your blue Budgie reminds me so much of my Wally when I was a young teen. As Laura stated,they both look so happy! You're doing a great job Driver! ;):D

Jim

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Oh my, long day again, had a brake light go out, delayed my delivery by about 2 hours, which added to the tollway that my Rand Mcnally didn't identify as a tollway really screwed me up...it ought to be a hangin' crime to put tollways in, seriously. Anyway, got that steel delivered, it's getting cold and I think the shorts are about to get put away for the year, was 40, wet and windy, yeah, definitely thinking it's time for proper trousers. Little bit of mac'n cheese for dinner, listening to the Nat's clean up in game 2, and then bed, the babies are playing contentedly upstairs and chattering away like mad

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh my, long day again, had a brake light go out, delayed my delivery by about 2 hours, which added to the tollway that my Rand Mcnally didn't identify as a tollway really screwed me up...it ought to be a hangin' crime to put tollways in, seriously. Anyway, got that steel delivered, it's getting cold and I think the shorts are about to get put away for the year, was 40, wet and windy, yeah, definitely thinking it's time for proper trousers. Little bit of mac'n cheese for dinner, listening to the Nat's clean up in game 2, and then bed, the babies are playing contentedly upstairs and chattering away like mad

Sleep like a baby tonight!!

Do you keep a toolkit and stock basic parts to fix simple items such as brake lights? Any restrictions against you performing truck maintenance?

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
I keep basic tools yes, this light was a trailer light, I lease my trailer for an hefty sum each week, and therefore do not do mx on it, not a fan of paying for the trailer atnd then helping them out with footing the bill on maintenance too, hoping things settle down a bit, 3 days in a row at around 14 hours of work is draining, ready for an easy 10-12 hour day doggone it! Lol

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

There has been a few times I've seen a Big Truck go by...( there is a Cowan drop yard two minutes away from me) and I keep thinking.."oh boy...how I miss being a "steering wheel holder"....then I come to my senses!!;)

I hope you aren't out west ( DFW area) or in the area where all the terrible weather has been! :eek:

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts