RIP Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Sammy is very offended by bugs:

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
:LOL:I decided to move stuff about Kirby here since it’s more species appropriate and his heart murmur is being addressed. Also, I find it’s really useful to have a lot about what he’s eating or how he’s doing; and I am bad about remembering to write stuff down unless I have some level of accountability…

Today is chop day; I never seem to remember to get beans but I assume that’s ok since he eats pellets!

Today we did:
Mini sweet peppers
Orange bell pepper
Anaheim pepper
Rainbow chard
Baby red/green Swiss chard
Tat soi
Arugula
Spinach
Broccoli & carrot slaw
Cooked beets
Raw yellow squash
Blackberries
Rolled oats (uncooked; they seem to get soft on their own when I reheat from frozen)

View attachment 35768
I always buy too much or not enough; today looks like it’s a too much day. I try to avoid single use plastics so I usually freeze it in bins and then “chop” out what I need each day.

Overall he seems a bit happier than yesterday; the antibiotics will hopefully really be kicking in this week.
I have 2 specific ice cube trays just for Myka's chop. I take out one cube at a time.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-)
Oh, that’s a good idea. I might use it when they’re at boarding while we’re out of town next month @MykaMom ! Thanks! Last time I had a million of those little plastic sauce containers in a ziplock baggie, lol!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Oh my GOODNESS, the Kirb is driving me up a wall today! I dunno what’s gotten into him, as he definitely HAD FOOD LEFT IN HIS BOWL, but it’s bed time and his highness marched down to the floor of his cage to shred the paper in the tray. He’s never done that before! What a punk.

He’s finally going back up to his night time perch so I’m hoping the antics are done. I wonder if he knows I’m too paranoid to do a lights out on him while he’s down there because I’m worried he won’t get back to his perch.

Otherwise he seems fine. He’s gained another 10g and is right where the vet wanted him to be.

Oh, there he goes again. Come on little buddy, it’s like he senses I have somewhere to be early in the AM.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
93A4B6F4-8340-4409-BEB3-4912144A481C.jpeg
28E8B2EF-9621-4484-83B1-857069D76EE2.jpeg
FCC287B6-53F5-471B-B680-3E24F837DE54.jpeg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
I think I forgot to post these here, but here are a couple of videos I uploaded of Sammy just doing random things:

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Oh my GOODNESS, the Kirb is driving me up a wall today! I dunno what’s gotten into him, as he definitely HAD FOOD LEFT IN HIS BOWL, but it’s bed time and his highness marched down to the floor of his cage to shred the paper in the tray. He’s never done that before! What a punk.

He’s finally going back up to his night time perch so I’m hoping the antics are done. I wonder if he knows I’m too paranoid to do a lights out on him while he’s down there because I’m worried he won’t get back to his perch.

Otherwise he seems fine. He’s gained another 10g and is right where the vet wanted him to be.

Oh, there he goes again. Come on little buddy, it’s like he senses I have somewhere to be early in the AM.
He knows it's bedtime. You are being punked by a bird!

Myka knows the 'lights out' ritual and throws a tantrum almost every time. But once my overnight o2 concentrator turns on, he stops and climbs onto his night perch. Even after the light is off. He knows the way, lol.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
More random videos of Sammy and Kirby going about their day:

As a bonus, here’s a photo to His Highness, about to take a nap because I’m sitting next to him. With both kids home during the summer, I find myself sneaking into my office at all hours to catch a nap. Kirby doesn’t mind, and seems to like to get as close to me and cozy as possible so he can snooze too.

6AB3FD00-3BB5-428E-B090-05D4415AFAB2.jpeg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
I got my two a present today, although they don’t know it!

3A616ADA-3C16-4BCD-89A0-AB2A62D17362.jpeg

One of my friends recently got one of these hydroponic grow beds for herbs, and I kept thinking how cool it would be to grow some organic herbs for my two. Well, Amazon had one on sale & it arrived today! As you can see, I’m growing cilantro, dill, oregano, arugula, lemon balm, and parsley. The bird room doubles as my office so I picked things that were faintly aromatic too, because I like the scent (and I assume that naturally growing/not concentrated herb smells are fine?).

I checked to make sure these were parrot safe before buying - I actually had wanted to order a 12 type assortment pack and grow a different plant in each slot, but every single one I could find included chives, which are NOT parrot safe!

The light isn’t actually blue mind you, that’s just my phone getting confused as all get out when it was trying to focus so the text on the labels were legible. It’s got a little fan in the hood & the water tank below has a pump to keep the water flowing. I am using the plant food Aerogarden puts out (in partnership with MiracleGro), because there isn’t really any soil so all their nutrients come from the water. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find an organic plant food made for these kits - the dosing is based on how many “pods” the unit supports.

I look forward to seeing these things grow!

Most Reactions

Latest posts