The things that fall down out of the sky!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
This is not the first time something like this has happened for my family. About ten years ago, a little blue peachface flew down to our aviary and allowed me to catch him. We never did find an owner, so that's how Nimbus joined our flock.

Last night, my son went out to feed and water our lovies and was surprised to find a little Fischer's Lovebird sitting on top of the cage. The poor little thing was afraid, so he neatly netted it with the butterfly net. The first I knew of all this was when he approached me from behind (I was sitting at the computer, playing war games as y'do in these testing times).

'Er, Mum, have got a minute, please?'

... and he handed me the prettiest little fruit-salad-coloured birdie!

The poor little thing was hungry and thirsty and exhausted. He drank readily from my hand and then ate just as readily. We fixed him up in a spacious, well-appointed cage and he went promptly to sleep. I've put 'found bird' ads in all the local groups and will keep an eye out locally to see if we can find his family. Someone's missing him, as he appears to be tame (a not-tame bird would eat out of my hand, would it?)

So, yeah: the things that fall down out of the sky, eh? :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well this little one is clearly pretty smart to have picked such an ideal place to land and an awesome family to join! It'd be nice to be able to reunite him with his original owner, but not exactly heartbreaking if you can't ;)

You got some pics, Trish? He sounds gorgeous :)

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well this little one is clearly pretty smart to have picked such an ideal place to land and an awesome family to join! It'd be nice to be able to reunite him with his original owner, but not exactly heartbreaking if you can't ;)

You got some pics, Trish? He sounds gorgeous :)
Here he is! :)

Attachments

• Little Lovie.jpg
    Little Lovie.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 79

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I loved your story!! It reminded me the day I also received a visit from an escaped green peachfaced lovebird....20 years ago!

She did start my passion for lovebirds, introduced me to handfeeding baby birds, gave me 4 lovely baby chicks and then for work reasons I had to move to another town and was forced to gave up them all.

That passion had to be frozen for the last two decades and now I am finally catching up. My new pair is taking good care of their 5 eggs, bound to hatch in early october!

Most Reactions