The ups, downs, random thoughts, and pleas for advice on adjusting to life with Ruby

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Re: Birdsitting to ownership

Beautiful pictures! How are the suns noise levels? The lady that does Burd Tricks videos says they are her loudest.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

I research things to an almost obsessive level once I have an interest in something. One thing that I read consistently about Sun Conures is how noisy they are. I will agree, although they are the first birds I've owned - so I didn't have any previous experience to go by. Now that I've spent some time with Ruby and Blu, I would have to say they are the most consistently noisy, but the one time I heard Ruby get loud, I feel that she might have them on the loudness scale, but not on the amount of time spent being noisy. When they are on my shoulder, if they feel the need to yell, it physically hurts my ears and makes them ring for a moment. However, if we don't get any visitors (they are my first alarm system), or if no one else attempts to sit by me or touch me, they stay pretty quiet.

The only time it's ever irritated me was once I started working remotely due to COVID, and NOTHING can block out their noise, so I was often asked questions like are you outside? Are you at a pet store? What are you watching on TV?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

yes Macaw decibel level is legendary! But tge need to screech a lot seems a sun abd I add ( on a lower decibel level than suns ) quaker thing

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018

My cinnamon conure could do well in a bird screaming contest. He is a not a fan of being in his cage if he thinks I am nearby (he is out 90% of the time I am home).

My neighbor's 8 year old (from across the street) was talking to us one day out front. Poco saw me through the window and started screaming. I told her what the noise was. She replied "so that is what wakes me up every weekend", "me too" I said.

I can't imagine a louder bird. I love him so much, but a song bird he is not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

I agree, they are beautiful - their voices not as much so, LOL. I didn't know what a Cinnamon Conure was - I had to look it up - they look so much bigger than mine!! What are their personalities like?

I'm lucky in that I have zero neighbors - so I don't have to worry about it. Although my goal for this summer is to screen in my front porch, so that I can let my conures be outside with me - I like to sit outside and read in the evenings and listen to the traffic go by. We do have a tractor dealership next door, so they might hear them if I go outside during the day on an occasional weekend.

What is the best thread to go see everyone's birds? or if anyone else would like to share on this thread, that would be fantastic as well!!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

I agree, they are beautiful - their voices not as much so, LOL. I didn't know what a Cinnamon Conure was - I had to look it up - they look so much bigger than mine!! What are their personalities like?

I'm lucky in that I have zero neighbors - so I don't have to worry about it. Although my goal for this summer is to screen in my front porch, so that I can let my conures be outside with me - I like to sit outside and read in the evenings and listen to the traffic go by. We do have a tractor dealership next door, so they might hear them if I go outside during the day on an occasional weekend.

What is the best thread to go see everyone's birds? or if anyone else would like to share on this thread, that would be fantastic as well!!

You just have to read them all. We’ll wait [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018

These are my two, Poco is the cinnamon on the left, Prim is a pineapple conure. Prim has more red. Both have green, yellow, red with blue flight feathers.

They are likely smaller than the sun conure. Prim is around 70 grams and Poco is around 78g.Poco is male and Prim is female.

Their personalities are similar to a 2-year old human. They are full of mischief, demand attention and want to be included in everything you do. They are also very affectionate, smart and funny. If you have a drink or food, they want it so very badly. Poco will use distraction to get things he can't have. He will fly into the other room and when you go to get him. He flies back to get the item. He will also poo on you and then try to get the item when you are cleaning it up. They are very smart.

They say: love you, my baby, give me a kiss, yummy, thank you, no, mommy, daddy. Night night, poop and bath.

They know when to use these words. Give me a kiss is followed with a beak touch to my lips with a kiss sound. Usually followed with a love you. My baby is reserved for first thing in the morning or when I get home from work. They will poo on command most of the time and typically don't poo on me, mostly.

I love them so very much.

Mike
a331aef2c22cfc92744708dd2b46f57a.jpg
4736ce836c2a35f9a1943cd39a6407df.jpg
d8920e6425add2ded109b05953967ec7.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

These are my two, Poco is the cinnamon on the left, Prim is a pineapple conure. Prim has more red. Both have green, yellow, red with blue flight feathers.

They are likely smaller than the sun conure. Prim is around 70 grams and Poco is around 78g.Poco is male and Prim is female.

Their personalities are similar to a 2-year old human. They are full of mischief, demand attention and want to be included in everything you do. They are also very affectionate, smart and funny. If you have a drink or food, they want it so very badly. Poco will use distraction to get things he can't have. He will fly into the other room and when you go to get him. He flies back to get the item. He will also poo on you and then try to get the item when you are cleaning it up. They are very smart.

They say: love you, my baby, give me a kiss, yummy, thank you, no, mommy, daddy. Night night, poop and bath.

They know when to use these words. Give me a kiss is followed with a beak touch to my lips with a kiss sound. Usually followed with a love you. My baby is reserved for first thing in the morning or when I get home from work. They will poo on command most of the time and typically don't poo on me, mostly.

I love them so very much.

Mike
a331aef2c22cfc92744708dd2b46f57a.jpg
4736ce836c2a35f9a1943cd39a6407df.jpg
d8920e6425add2ded109b05953967ec7.jpg

yep beautiful!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

I love seeing everyone birds

Last edited:
OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

I love when there is context along with the pics - hearing about their personalities and quirks is the best!! I'm jealous over them saying words. From what I read, Sun Conure's can learn a few words, but they aren't clear - like Indian Ringnecks or other birds. Mango does not say anything resembling a word. Loki does say Step Up - but I think he associates that as my name, because when I walk into the room when they are caged he starts saying it. I thought he was saying it because he wanted to step up in order to get out, but even when I let him out and he walking around on top of his cage he keeps saying it - and I like to think it's his way of greeting me - he doesn't say it when my kids or husband get them out.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

You might search the forum for titles including POTM - it’s out Photo of the Month contest and is usually filled with the cutest pics of all our babies. And of course we would love for you to enter your guys in this month!

OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

UPDATE!!!

I got a text from my aunt this afternoon.

Aunt: Hey there will you be coming over today?

Me: I can, after work. Are you headed to the cabin for the weekend?

Aunt: Yes, but I have a lot to tell you. Will you be here at 4:30

Me: Yep, right around then.

So I went. I walked in to Find Ruby pacing on the top of her cage, and my aunt scrubbing her carpet. I walked further into the room to see some piece of broken glass on the floor, and all I could think was uh oh.

I asked what was going on - she said, well - there is poop everywhere. I have NEVER seen poop everywhere like this.

I said, is it small poop or big poop?

She said said, big poop. Ruby has been in a FIT for the last 3 days (essentially since I was last there).

Apparently cousin stayed there the day or so before and attempted to handle her. I don't know what was going on, or why she reacted this way, but she bit her, drawing blood. She has never, ever been anything but loving towards cousin, so she was very hurt, both emotionally and physically. I guess she asked me aunt what I had done to her bird, and my aunt says she defended me and told the cousin that I had only given treats and hadn't handled Ruby.

Then earlier that day she pushed a very heavy, very thick glass bottle off the mantle where it shattered on tile in front of the fireplace. She has also been aggressive to Blu, intentionally trying to hurt him instead of just scaring him off like in the past.

I said, okay - I don't know if she's going through her bluffing, if she's hormonal, if she's just tired from not enough sleep or what is going on, but point forward DO NOT LEAVE BLU AND RUBY OUT at the same time and UNATTENDED. She said she hadn't thought of that, but that I was probably right.

Then she said that cousin would like me to foster Ruby until she gets her own place. During the foster they will pay for food/toys/perches/vet visits.

I asked for how long? My aunt said who knows, but my cousin acted like she is actively looking for a place, so in an ideal situation - a few months, but in reality.....(left unsaid).

I said, okay.

She then said that she talked to her husband, and he is good with her keeping Blu, and she will take him with her when they go to the cabin. So I gave her some tips, and I hope it works out for them.

After I finished helping her clean up the poop painting Ruby did on the living room floor, and vacuum up the rest fo the glass, Ruby came to sit at the end of her cage perch door, and every time she caught my eye she would lift a foot to me. Now at first I thought this meant she wanted to step up - I have learned that is NOT the case. So I cheerily told her that we would do some work, and went and grabbed my treat bag and my clicker and chopstick.

She did some clicker/stick work with me, just as she has in the past, taking treats from my just as gently as always.

THEN THE GREATEST THING SO FAR.... I have wanted to see her show some joy in the form of dancing. I've been trying every single visit, acting silly myself to get some sort of reaction - she always seems so serious. Tonight it happened, and fortunately I got it on video!! She and I danced for right around 5 minutes - which was so amazing, and when I showed my husband the video, I got teary, not gonna lie. Then after our dance she was so calm, and wasn't pacing and angrily attacking her toys. I was able to put her away with only a quick little tantrum, and so was able to leave her on a very positive note.

Of course, my cousin had to go over after I left for something, and my aunt made sure to text me that cousin had gone over and Ruby was good with her today. I wanted to shout to her - OF COURSE SHE IS - I HELPED HER GET INTO A CALM MINDSET - SHE GOT THE BENEFIT OF 2 HOURS of MY ATTENTION. But I didn't. I just said I was glad, and I am, I know it doesn't sound like it, but I am.

Now that I know she is coming - I have so many more questions. Should I ask them on here, or should I start a new thread? The birdsitting is now out of the equation, so I didn't know if I needed to start something new for my new line of questioning.

Also, here are some pics from tonight. I have more, but it appears I've reached my limit on photo uploads!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ruby1.jpg
    Ruby1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Ruby4.jpg
    Ruby4.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 202

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Wow, a breakthrough! Parrots extremely perceptive, you can bet Ruby was reacting to unsettled home life with aunt and cousin. Glad to know you will be fostering for indeterminate period.

Two workarounds for hitting pic memory wall: One is becoming Supporting Member for cost of $9.99/year. Details here, pic storage is roughly doubled: http://www.parrotforums.com/payments.php

Easiest solution is free hosting site such as Imgur. For privacy issues, I believe you can hide images from general public in settings.

Your choice to continue existing thread or starting fresh with one or more topics.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

However this ends up, you will have made a huge positive impact on this parrots life!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

However this ends up, you will have made a huge positive impact on this parrots life!

So true! Ruby is lucky to have you in any capacity.

OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

We agreed upon a date. Ruby will be coming to my home on May 7th. The current plan is that I will take a vacation day from work, and my husband and I will go to my aunts, get ruby into a carrier, and then my husband and I will clean out her cage, pack up her toys and load up her cage and head home!!

I've been trying to go through all the postings before asking my questions so that I'm not asking something that has been answered before. I've used the search feature and read some great things, but maybe those more familiar can give me either links to threads or suggest better search terms, or can even provide their opinion on what I am asking.

I've read differing opinions on introducing new birds. Obviously - everyone will have their own cage. I was thinking I should keep Ruby's cage in the living room so she can see everyone and get used to the structure and flow of our daily routine and see everyone that comes and goes. Then I read that it might be better to have her cage in a separate room, since I will be putting her to bed a few hours before the household goes to bed. I keep my conure's in a separate room for that very reason. However, I only have so many separate rooms!!

When the conure's have out of cage time they have a play stand with toys, perches, food and water in the living room. I will be purchasing one for Ruby (recommendations welcomed). It's going to be interesting, as she won't step up for me yet, so I'm hoping my clicker training will help me get her to go onto her playstand/training perch.

Based on your own experiences - what do recommend for her cage placement?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Well first, :red: Congratulations!!! :red:

Is this envisioned as "foster" for Ruby or will she become yours?

Are you planning to quarantine? Might have extenuating circumstances given your knowledge of previous home and presence of just one other bird, Blu. My guess... not necessary.

Ideal solution is Ruby's primary cage in living room, "sleeping cage" in other location. Barring that, possible compromise is primary cage in sleeping room, large playstand in living room. More practical choice is to choose either place for initial cage.... perhaps sleeping room until transitioning to living room?

Use caution introducing disparate sizes. Cannot recall if you've brought the conures to visit Ruby? In any case, Ruby is now coming to their turf. Keep them beyond easy flight distance, gradually closing the gap but allowing buffer for lunging.

I'd imagine concerted target training with lucrative reward ought have Ruby stepping up rather quickly.

OP
B

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw

Thank you for the Congrats!! It's an emotional rollercoaster for sure. As of right now, it's a "foster" situation. My aunt asked that we start with that, as she wants my cousin to continue to have responsibilities for Ruby, at the very least by supporting her financially. So my cousin as stated that she will pay for any stands, toys, vet visits, food etc for Ruby while I am fostering.

I am willing at accept the costs of those items myself, but I do hope to see her follow through on at very least financially supporting Ruby.

I have also determined that if my cousin has visited that day, or plans to visit there is no sense in me going over. Ruby is obsessed with my cousin and has attention only for her when she is around, and if my cousin has been there she is exhausted, probably emotionally and physically as she expels a lot of energy trying to be close to my cousin. Also, I did see my cousin not only able to get her to step up, but lay on her back and touch her feet - which gives me hope that someday I'll be able to do the same.

I don't expect her to follow through on taking Ruby back after college. She has at least 2 years left, plus she will need to find living space. We will see - but I imagine that Ruby will be in her forever home once we bring her home.

I believe I will put her cage in the same room as the conures - so that on the days I have to go into the office she doesn't feel like she is completely alone.

I plan to not have them out at the same time for several weeks, and then once she has settled in allow small increments of time out together, working towards longer periods. I never thought about having a "day cage" in the living room - maybe I can find a used one of the correct size to keep in the living room. Until then a playstand should work.

I haven't taken the conures over - but my aunt has told me if I wanted to I was welcome to - and there is still time. Do you think that would be a good idea? I could do that during my visits this weekend!

Ruby continues to beak me when I offer my hand and arm to step up - and it's difficult to work with her as she doesn't have a stand, and her "cage perch" is right around my chin, which puts her above me, and doesn't allow me much leverage. I also considered getting a perch to attach to her cage at a lower level to see if she would perch on there where I can work with her on stepping up for me.

So - to summarize my newest questions (I appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions and feedback very much).

1. Should I take my conures for a visit before I bring her to my home?
2. Should I get a perch for the outside of her cage and attempt to work with her on it during my visits to my aunts?
3. Are there any suggestions for playstands. I'm thinking she might need a playstand and a t-perch.

Also, I upgraded my account - so I'll be posting more photos soon!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts