Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Yeah I want her so bad! I think she will someday be mine but for now I know we don't have the room for her. We're actually in talks about getting a 2nd GCC because the boys just want to bite poor Paris and we think it's because she's a different species (genus) of conure than than them and they seem to just see her as a complete outsider. I was worried they'd be all into her because she was a girl but I don't think they care if she's a girl they just don't accept her. It's pretty sad but it's not the end of the world. She has my husband and I and a few other friends. We may try to get her a cage mate...but I know that doesn't always work out but we're thinking about trying anyways!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

My little girl Paris and I sharing our favorite food!
[ame="https://youtu.be/INvcNdd7Gn8"]Paris and I have something in common...we love PB! - YouTube[/ame]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Paris and I would be best pals! I LOVE peanut butter too :) I can eat it off the spoon just like her..wait a sec....we'd probably be fighting over the spoon lol :20: At any rate,great vid Desi,and Parree :p

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
She’s so cute!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

She’s so cute!!!!

Yes she is! I think you're biased because she's the only one you met lol.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I can officially say Finley is no longer afraid of hands! It took lots and LOTS of intense daily training to get him to this point. I'm so happy because I had noticed his fear of hands would sometimes trigger a freak out and so now that he's not afraid of hands he has less neurological episodes. I'm so happy! I'd like to encourage everyone who may have a very difficult/challenged or disabled bird or perhaps a bird you believe is never going to change a certain unwanted behavior (such as biting or being afraid of hands) that you CAN make it better and fix it but it WILL take a huge effort on your part. Also those who have "had it" with their bird and want to re-home please consider taking a break from your bird or fostering them and just taking moment to regroup like I did with Finley because it really made he and I realize how much we loved each other and belong to one another. It also gave me the strength to bring him back home and try harder with him because I was less frustrated and drained. He of course is still "special" but my life with him is much more manageable and we're very happy.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations on a job well done, and probably ongoing!

Perhaps it’s worth you posting some info on what worked for you & Fin for folks who may face similar challenges?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Yaaaayyyyyy!!!! I'm so happy things are going so well! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Finley (and Ollie and Paris) are VERY lucky to have you. :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
This is fantastic news. So happy Finfin is finding his way! [emoji3590]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Any updates on the flock Desi?

Jim

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Well...at the moment I have made an emergency trip to Washington State because my grandpa is sick in the hospital. My flock had to stay home with my husband and he says they're calling me a lot. Finley's especially agitated with the fact that I'm gone. I had to leave very very suddenly so there wasn't much time to talk to them about it...the poor babies! I will update what it's like to return to the flock after a sudden 4 day absence. We'll see how they receive me haha.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Ditto on Granpa Desi!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Checking in: My Grandpa is on the mend but is still 88 years old so who knows what will happen... hopefully he'll be with us a few more years.
I was gone 5 days.When I got home the birds were receptive but Finley was angry with me and isn't necessarily wanting to hang out much and his fear of hands has semi returned.
Ollie was also super annoyed but happy to see me and even let me cuddle him a bit.
Paris was her same needy self but still mostly interested in my husband but oh well she still let's me pet her and cuddle her so meh.

Tomorrow I'm undergoing an operation. It's a Lower Body Lift to remove the loose skin from loosing a large amount of weight. The loose skin was starting to hurt me and become uncomfortable so luckily I'm able to get it removed. The recovery is long and it will be painful. I won't be able to take care of the birds or even hold them much. My husband will be taking care of them and we're having someone the birds know to clean cages and put them to bed nighty. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the update. Your flock will forgive you and in time everything should be back to normal. Life happens, and right now it's okay to make birds #2 on the priority list, as you have probably been planning and waiting for this surgery for a while. I follow someone on Instagram who actually just went through this to remove loose skin as well and she is having great results so far.

Best of luck Desi on this surgery and that your flock will understand in time.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I’ll be thinking you tomorrow!

Most Reactions

Latest posts