Thinking of getting a buddy for my conure, any suggestions?

Ladox

Jan 4, 2022
Australia
Parrots
June, Rose-crowned Conure, 31st October 2019
I have to wait about a year so plenty of time to think and prepare, but I have been considering getting my 2 year and 3 month old rose crown conure (similar to a GCC) a buddy, or just another bird for myself, however I do have a few requirements, such as: 1. It has to be a certain size, IRN size at the most, budgie at the least though I donā€™t want to risk my bird hurting a budgie, even if by accident, so preferably something cockatiel or little bigger. 2. It cannot be a female conure, it must be dnaā€™d male because I donā€™t want to breed, because it can be expensive and time consuming, I just want one more bird, not six. 3. Iā€˜d like to be able to harness train it from a young age, so preferably something that will take to that a little better as I know budgies, although great, personal birds (like all), can be a little timid and tend to get more stressed in certain situations. 4. My budget will be at most $2000 aud when getting a bird, the ONLY reason I decided on this price is because I absolutely ADORE caiques, those are the only smaller species Iā€™d pay that much for.
Some bird species Iā€™ve considered: -another male conure (conures similar to Juneā€™s size: GCC, peach fronted, white necked conure and so on. Some that I may not get: sun, jenday, nanday (but I do think nandays are amazing), sunday, blue crowned and most of the larger varieties) -IRN -cockatiel -caique -Senegal (maybe, I havenā€™t looked too much into that one)

(also this is my first thread so sorry if Iā€™ve put it in the wrong category, I will hopefully learn how to use this forum more as time goes on, have a great day

-ladox & june

a picture of june because I want to:
4E367A50-CC95-423D-AC4B-B5D76A6156A1.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
oh I'm in love with June!!! Gorgeous!!!
Welcome to the forum!!
This golden conure or a hawk head are my dream parrot. Ones I wish I could meet ! But no first hand experience

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
June is beautiful!

I'm looking at getting a caique once we move to a bigger home (simply don't have the space right now so trying hard to be patient) as I adore their silly antics.

In my research for a caique, I found that you need to be super careful when introducing them to your flock as they are know to be very very aggressive to other species, to the point serious injuries or even fatalities have been known, and their play can be taken the wrong way by other birds as they do play a lot more roughly. While they can be successfully introduced to a flock of mixed species, its takes time and a lot of supervision. But also be mindful that they may never get along.

OP
Ladox

Ladox

Jan 4, 2022
Australia
Parrots
June, Rose-crowned Conure, 31st October 2019
June is beautiful!

I'm looking at getting a caique once we move to a bigger home (simply don't have the space right now so trying hard to be patient) as I adore their silly antics.

In my research for a caique, I found that you need to be super careful when introducing them to your flock as they are know to be very very aggressive to other species, to the point serious injuries or even fatalities have been known, and their play can be taken the wrong way by other birds as they do play a lot more roughly. While they can be successfully introduced to a flock of mixed species, its takes time and a lot of supervision. But also be mindful that they may never get along.
Yes I found that out just recently after a few videos and google searches, same with Senegals im pretty sure, so Iā€™d most likely scratch those species off the list, but because I really do love the caique I would maybe try to get one from a chick (8 - 12 weeks maybe) for myself or so I can show it my boy isnā€™t a threat, but I would like to make something clear that I think I forgot to mention before, is that they will definitely be in seperate cages (when we first quarantine it they will be in opposite sides of the house in different rooms, maybe bringing cages into opposite sides of the lounge room to see each other), if they are the same species and getting along extra well after a few years maybe an exception, but as of now the plan is only heavily supervised outside time (down the line) together and maybe cages next to each other. I would appreciate any more similar sized species suggestions though since Iā€™m sure there are plenty I just havenā€™t heard of!

Most Reactions

Latest posts