This an extreme oddity to me..

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
to kiwibird....I don't know about what you said, going someplace with a cute conure on your shoulder is a great way to meet people...especially girls! :14:

Keeping in mind I do have a husband, I note I never get cute guys hitting on me while out with Kiwi :( (does that say something about my looks or Kiwi's lol:33:). Usually it's older folks or people with kids who come up to ask about him. That or they just stare and/or try to covertly take photos of the weirdo bird lady:rolleyes::cool::54:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Actually. that is quite funny, Kiwi!!! The irony is overwhelming. If I switched the topics around in your post you would be spot on! I think you have it backwards. Park Skiers are the outcasts of the Ski World. Online they were the obnoxious loud uhhh..outcasts in the world. It gets deeper. My oldest boy spent the winter before with Josh Christensen who won gold at Sochi 2012. They are the grunge rock park animals. My other son is 15 mos. younger placed 2nd in a Park City National Bode Miller type of Competition.

I have Polar opposites who dont talk to each other, yet love the same sport! Anyways....

Honestly, I know little-nothing about skiing but what I've seen in movies which portray places you go skiing as hubs of social activity;). I do know my husband played in a local soccer league for years and it was such a nightmare for shy, quiet, awkward me to attempt to socialize with all of the rowdy sports loving people during his games. I always tried, but I'm just so much not a people person nor a fan of any sports at all (I only did it to support my husband) and it certainly didn't help that my Spanish is very limited and many of the other players families/friends watching English skills were just as limited.

DiscoDuck are you trying to suggest this become a Parrot/Skiing forum?

Quick, Kiwibird, better put dibs on the username SKIWIBIRD ...

The imagery of either me or Kiwi on ski's is probably "viral fail video" funny. I can barely walk down the stairs without killing myself. I am the single least athletic person who ever existed. I sprained and/or possibly broke my toe doing jumping jacks recently.

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I was a member of many Facebook groups (for parrots) and after about 2 months I couldn't take it anymore..

It took me about 6 years to bale!

Mind you, I don't see the point of social media in general. My sister tried to get me into Instagram, but I got bored of that pretty fast too. :)

I dont have a warm and fuzzy feeling with the use of phones for social media. Im sorry nothing about it is social at least not in a positive way.

My favorite bark is when I see people glued to their phones.. "Hey! that thing is going to rot your brain" I get a grunt of approval or they keep walking. I rest my case:p

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
Exactly. It just seems like social media always gets political and just ends up turning into yelling match. I'm not that social of a person anyway, I guess that's why I can't stay on social media for very long. That and the fact that it's not that interesting anyway.

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Exactly. It just seems like social media always gets political and just ends up turning into yelling match. I'm not that social of a person anyway, I guess that's why I can't stay on social media for very long. That and the fact that it's not that interesting anyway.

Got it. I think I am very social when it comes to alking to people. Just because someone types words does not make it social IMHO of course!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I am not all about social media but I do have an instagram and Snapchat account that I use all the time. I like Snapchat because it's wayyyy more personal than other social media. <3
Add me on Snapchat! Username: desieagan https://www.snapchat.com/add/desieagan

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've all but ditched the homepage and feed aspects of FB. However, I have recently joined a few private groups - they cater to very specific interests. A common thread is they explicitly disavow discussion of politics and other inflammatory subjects. Just as we do here!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
It only took me a couple weeks tops. I really wanted it before I was 13, got it as soon as I turned 13, and promptly didn't see the point of it. There's so much politics/drama there too, and with the data scandal...

My parents haven't been so lucky. They're so into Facebook that they often just check it for the sake of checking it even though they know there's not anything new (because they checked it 10 minutes ago, lol).

Mind you, I don't see the point of social media in general. My sister tried to get me into Instagram, but I got bored of that pretty fast too. :)

You really are a wise owl, wise beyond your years! :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
You all do know that forums are a type of social media, right? [emoji6]

I enjoy Facebook because my family is spread around the country and it gives me an easy way to keep up with them (and for them to keep up with me!). I have spent a little time unfollowing, hiding, etc. so that the only politics I see align with mine, and on the rare occasion that someone tries to get political or mean on my posts, I shut them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb's household members refuse to deal with politics, religion, or Burger King vs. McDonald's. Members will, however, defend Taco Bell to the bitter end! The Rb covets the black beans from the Black Beans 'n' Rice Power Menu Bowl.

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
The Rb's household members refuse to deal with politics, religion, or Burger King vs. McDonald's. Members will, however, defend Taco Bell to the bitter end! The Rb covets the black beans from the Black Beans 'n' Rice Power Menu Bowl.

What about mayo vs. miracle whip? Coke vs. Pepsi? Parrotlets vs. macaws? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I looove Taco Bell! It's my favorite...

Most Reactions