This was literally a dream come true.

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
If any of y'all are thinking of visiting ABC Birds in Humble, Texas, do it. It was so much fun. I held a cockatiel, a cockatoo, a green cheek conure, and my non-bird-people siblings and parents also thought it was great. Anyways, this is me holding a Moluccan cockatoo and having the time of my life.
IMG_9143.jpg

OP
ImaParrot

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
Not just holding, but giving a scritch...

I see big birds in your future.

Maybe you should become an avian vet.
If only we had the space! *sighs dramatically*
I don't want to become a vet because I'm squirmy about gross things, but I definitely want to start a parrot rescue someday.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If any of y'all are thinking of visiting ABC Birds in Humble, Texas, do it. It was so much fun. I held a cockatiel, a cockatoo, a green cheek conure, and my non-bird-people siblings and parents also thought it was great. Anyways, this is me holding a Moluccan cockatoo and having the time of my life.
View attachment 52462
I agree that the first time you cuddle a big fluffy white cockatoo is truly an unforgettable experience!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If only we had the space! *sighs dramatically*
I don't want to become a vet because I'm squirmy about gross things, but I definitely want to start a parrot rescue someday.
Having a Rescue, not only will you see lots of gross things, but lots of gross people dumping off their Parrots or wanting a 'free' Parrot!

Being an Avian Vet at least pays a bit better!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I get that.

As I've gotten older I can't even watch nature programs anymore because of the sequences showing predators and prey.

I can't watch those Vet programs like "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" or anything because I can't watch pets injured or in pain.

But if you can get over that I'd think it would be lucrative career.
You can't make a living with a parrot rescue but you can support your parrot rescue with a vet career.

OP
ImaParrot

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
Having a Rescue, not only will you see lots of gross things, but lots of gross people dumping off their Parrots or wanting a 'free' Parrot!

Being an Avian Vet at least pays a bit better!
Oh well. I want to work at a bird store (preferably this one) once I can drive. Maybe I'll be able to overcome the squirmy part then.

OP
ImaParrot

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
I get that.

As I've gotten older I can't even watch nature programs anymore because of the sequences showing predators and prey.

I can't watch those Vet programs like "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" or anything because I can't watch pets injured or in pain.

But if you can get over that I'd think it would be a lucrative career.
You can't make a living with a parrot rescue but you can support your parrot rescue with a vet career.
I wanted to become a bestseller author, possibly a YouTuber, and use these to fund a rescue. Maybe I'll just open a bird store.

Most Reactions