Thought id share a full picture of my cross stitch project

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
(Aka I need help keeping up motivation !)

It has 52800 stitches in total and 50 colours in total. Its my biggest project I've ever attempted. I love the affects the different shades are creating , but it's so tedious switching colours all the time.

It's Disneys stained glass Stitch

Attachments

• 20220502_102815.jpg
    20220502_102815.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 85

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Both my mother and grandmother cross-stitched and enjoyed it. We have several of their works framed and they represent a wonderful keepsakes.

Looks like a keepsake in the making!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
It looks great!

I used to do cross -stitch for my hobby. (I stopped when i took up fiddle. Not intentionally. They are both quite time-intensive, and not being independently wealthy - aka not having 10-hours-per-day to work on my OWN hobbies!!! - i could not find time for both, and cross-stitch lost out.)

I did cross stitch because I loved working with the different colors of thread. I did a few huge major projects. It's so nice when you have a section of all the same colors.... but then.... it can get a bit boring, right? But then when you have all that switching... grrr!!! Both frustrating and yet still relaxing at the same time.

I wonder if you see your cross-stitch projects like I did? I would show them to others and would realize they weren't seeing it. - From the beginning as I would get stitches in, each little bit I would feel like, and it would even seem like, I was "almost done!" I would look at the little patch of color and know where it was in the whole picture and each tiny little segment was as if I could see the whole thing. Like I had completed the whole thing each time -- only, "completed" in such a way as made me want to continue. (Of course, it helps to be looking at the pattern, so you'd know where you're going. )

I would work on one major project at lunchtime with a coworker who was knitting, and over a year she would wonder how I kept working on these little tiny lines of stitches and "getting nowhere." (Not her exact words, but definitely her opinion. ...She completed several sweaters over the same time.) She looked at my project and couldn't see any accomplishment. Whereas I would be looking at my next line of 10 stitches for my goal. So I guess i was getting multiple little dopamine-hits of "achievement unlocked!" every time I picked up my project.

I used to love forming each little tiny perfect stitch. I loved the feel and the colors of the thread. I assume you feel the same way, since that's the only way the hobby makes sense.

Anyway, your current project looks beautiful and I wish you all the best for it!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
It looks great!

I used to do cross -stitch for my hobby. (I stopped when i took up fiddle. Not intentionally. They are both quite time-intensive, and not being independently wealthy - aka not having 10-hours-per-day to work on my OWN hobbies!!! - i could not find time for both, and cross-stitch lost out.)

I did cross stitch because I loved working with the different colors of thread. I did a few huge major projects. It's so nice when you have a section of all the same colors.... but then.... it can get a bit boring, right? But then when you have all that switching... grrr!!! Both frustrating and yet still relaxing at the same time.

I wonder if you see your cross-stitch projects like I did? I would show them to others and would realize they weren't seeing it. - From the beginning as I would get stitches in, each little bit I would feel like, and it would even seem like, I was "almost done!" I would look at the little patch of color and know where it was in the whole picture and each tiny little segment was as if I could see the whole thing. Like I had completed the whole thing each time -- only, "completed" in such a way as made me want to continue. (Of course, it helps to be looking at the pattern, so you'd know where you're going. )

I would work on one major project at lunchtime with a coworker who was knitting, and over a year she would wonder how I kept working on these little tiny lines of stitches and "getting nowhere." (Not her exact words, but definitely her opinion. ...She completed several sweaters over the same time.) She looked at my project and couldn't see any accomplishment. Whereas I would be looking at my next line of 10 stitches for my goal. So I guess i was getting multiple little dopamine-hits of "achievement unlocked!" every time I picked up my project.

I used to love forming each little tiny perfect stitch. I loved the feel and the colors of the thread. I assume you feel the same way, since that's the only way the hobby makes sense.

Anyway, your current project looks beautiful and I wish you all the best for it!
Yes that's how I absolutely feel,and it's why I take photos to help me track my progress ,especially on.days where I feel like I've made no progress whatsoever, like I do currently where I'm filling in 1 or 2 stitches here and there rather than a full block .
It's also why I do a couple small quick patterns so I get that "completed" hit .

You have described cross stich perfectly...
Frustrating and relaxing at the same time !

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is gorgeous! All those bright colours seem to jump off the page. It really is stunning. Please keep sharing your work as you go, I find it fascinating.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
That is gorgeous! All those bright colours seem to jump off the page. It really is stunning. Please keep sharing your work as you go, I find it fascinating.
Thank you ,I will keep sharing!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I love it! How long did that take you?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
This particular page ? About 3 weeks
That attention to detail amazes me. I tried cross stitch and I just couldn't make anything look right. This is definitely a talent, and one you have in spades:)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
That attention to detail amazes me. I tried cross stitch and I just couldn't make anything look right. This is definitely a talent, and one you have in spades:)
Thanks, that's really lovely of you to say so
It really helps that I have an app that helps me to keep track of where I'm up to and what colours I'm working on

Attachments

• 16525620125459051259020260818601.jpg
    16525620125459051259020260818601.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 46

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have not been able to do cross stitch without a printed canvas. I wish I could because it’s gorgeous and there are so many more patterns in books, not printed. Wish I could figure it out.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I have not been able to do cross stitch without a printed canvas. I wish I could because it’s gorgeous and there are so many more patterns in books, not printed. Wish I could figure it out.
Look for a simple patten first (don't make my mistake and pick a huge 50 colour, 25pg pattern )

Then once you have your supplies together (either with a kit already made up or putting it together yourself ) it a simple case of following the pattern 1 symbol at a time.

For example on the picture of my pattern , on the right side { is allocated the dmc colour 402 , so I will pull out that colour and stitch where the symbol is found on the pattern (if that makes sense ,I'm not very good at explaining, I teach better by showing and doing )

Each symbol will be allocated a colour and it's just a case of counting and stitching .

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I did this one a few weeks ago as I needed a quick finish to get my motivation back to doing this big beast of a stitch . It took 2 days to complete and it was only 3 colours so super easy and was almost boring towards the end of doing only 3 colours , but ,it was refreshing and really enjoyable to do.

I gifted it to my friend who absolutely loved it

Attachments

• 20220417_112549.jpg
    20220417_112549.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 51

Most Reactions

Latest posts