Timneh African Grey or Yellow-collared macaw?

bluelagoon538

Sep 24, 2015
Parrots
had a Quaker parrot. Always remembered <3
Hello! I am new to the forum and I was wondering if someone can help me in making a decision. I am so head-blown as to what to do here. It has been over 9 months and I am still undecided. But more time spent deciding and planning will help me make sure I provide my new baby with a good home.

I would like to know what are your opinion about a Timneh African Grey and a yellow-collared Macaw (still undecided between the mini-macaws but leaning more towards YCM)

Any discussion will help me figure this out on the two kinds. I went through several forums with barely finding any information I was looking for, such as how dusty Timneh African Grey are in comparison to Congo African Grey, and also comparing it to the YCM. Are TAG less dusty than CAG? or are YCM less dusty than TAG? I am not allergic to birds, but I am being careful. I have my 4 year old nephew over once a week for 2-3 days. We had a Quaker and weren't bothered by him at all relating his feathers/dust which I barely noticed. I read that AG, cockatoos and cockatiels produce the most powder. Cleaning wouldn't be a problem, but thinking about someone getting allergies from my baby.

Guys, any discussion is helpful! You can even recommend a good medium-large size parrot to me. Affectionate would be a plus+

You can ignore the rest and simply give your opinions about the two kinds,
.....................................................................................................

but I would like to share a bit about my confusion state and rough time spent without my Quaker's presence. I had a Indian Redneck when I was a child, it flew but little did I remember playing with that Indian Redneck parrot. My second parrot was a Quaker, I named him Mithu.. I had no idea getting to know this parrot will cost me a heart-break :( I would spend countless hours with her doing crazy things such as upside down-kiss... no not the bird, it would be me on the bed in a dog position head down kissing her upside down while she's jumping all over the place with excitement. I would make her perches all over the room, her cage door was always open once she got to know us, which was very quickly!.. I was her fav, I was basically like her mother, even though I am a guy.. She would follow me around wherever I would go, and those times spent making her jealous trying to kiss a stuffed-toy, she would come march at the toy and I would cover her inside my blanket with me and she would make exciting loud noises that would last 8-10 seconds and then soft sounds continue on.. and us under the blanket and she would talk her heart out.. Where was I going with this, on yeah.. this was the biggest heart-break for me losing her. I was at work, and found out she had an accident with the door.. my nephew was in the room with her. My nephew was 3 years old at that time. I do understand someone should have been watching them but everyone was in the other room when it happened and unfortunately I was not home. When I asked my nephew and asked him nicely that I will not get mad how it happened. So he told me that she came flying from across the room and he was just trying to close the door from letting her come into the kitchen. I know he closes the door slowly too without looking but Mithu wouldn't even dare to go for it when he does it. But because I was not there and Mithu decided to get out of the room, things didn't go so well. I had a tough time working that day and concentrating for so many days ahead of that. I really felt friend-less not to over-exaggerate but I spent more time with Mithu than I did with my family. Then I sat down and decided I need to continue that love. So I had decided I needed a new partner. Not only that, I have done tremendous amount of research for so many months. I had been stuck on getting myself an Eclectus female (knowing pretty much everything about their behavior vs. male behavior) for close to 5 months, until suddenly I realized there is a lot of risk going into this. I wanted a challenge at first knowing how strict their diet is, knowing how delicate their tummies are, but I just do not want to create problems for us two. I went into deep research that goes from Teflon (non-stick pans) to Zinc and Lead in metal-cages and other metal items at home. Learning about safe air purifiers and humidifiers to learning about dust-down birds. I have even made diagrams of the cage I would like to build myself; I am a very handy person. The construction will contain ONLY wood and stainless steel (S.S. mesh, S.S. clips, S.S. Screws) the mesh has 3/4" of spacing and it comes in several dimensions. I will be making the cage with dimensions of 3ft wide, 2.5ft depth, and 5.5ft height, all measuring from the interior space. The cage will definitely cost me close to 800 USD, maybe over, mainly because of the stainless steel. I will be buying the mesh weekly in parts because I want to to limit the amount of time/money on the cage and give myself A LOT of time here to decide which baby to bring home. Zinc and Lead, as you may know is very harmful to parrots, that's why the stainless steel makes for better option. I want to set up the toys and perches inside the cage and outside. I want to make all of this before I get my new baby. I will be able to give lots of attention and not just a good place to stay. This has become really hard for me to decide which one of these babies do I really deserve? I will be extra extra careful not to let single harm done to my baby putting up restrictions at home when it will come down to his/her diet and play-time supervision. I have also made a life-time commitment to keeping her/him in my life. Please guys, help would be really appreciated! Btw, I got along with my Quaker REALLY REALLY REALLY WELL!

So guys, tell me guys.. TAG? YCM? Another kind of Mini-macaw? illiger's? hahns?

I really do want a TAG, but the dust might make my family uncomfortable :( I really find TAGs are really good size!
Thanks for reading guys! Much love, Manny. :green2:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tags aren't all that dusty. Just bathe them once a week.

Doing your research first is great, but you do seem to be overthinking it.

"Paralysis by analysis."

Go play with them. Find the one you really love. Make a choice. Provide proper care. Don't look back.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Manny, it is clear you have a deep love for parrots and are longing for companionship following the tragic loss of Mithu.

Don't have experience with a Yellow-Collared Macaw, but I have been living with TAGs for 25+ years. They can be wonderful companions with a terrific capacity for speech. Their dust is very manageable and no worse than an Amazon.

Mark is correct; you've researched the critical areas of interest, now is the time to spend some time with a few species. Very often they will choose you!

Good luck, and let us know how the search is going!!

OP
B

bluelagoon538

Sep 24, 2015
Parrots
Thank you very much for your input @ Birdman666, Scott, and Weezerj!
I do feel I am overthinking this @ Birdman666, and you are right, I should go spend some time with mini-macaws and TAGs and perhaps other parrots I find in interest to see which one best suits me.
@Weezerj, I know that most birds never really learn to talk, they rather imitate sounds instead, so I was never too concerned about having a talkative baby; it would be good to have one though. But mini macaws being a cuddler, as I am hearing a lot.. I might look more into them and their behavior. But I still feel I should continue learning more about TAGs..

And @Scott, Thank you for your input, I been learning that TAGs have less powder-down than COGs. Thank you for comparing it to an Amazon for a better picture as I have spent some time with Amazons. Would you have experience with both COGs and TAGs or just TAGs?

Thanks all!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I have a CAG and I swear he's less dusty than my cockatiel!

He's not really outwardly affectionate or a cuddler, but he does have a big personality. From everything I know they're never truly "cuddly" birds but I enjoy his presence and he's a constant source of entertainment in joy.

My Amazon also isn't particularly cuddly, but he loves to be with me and I can pet him endlessly. Because he was wild caught, he might never have the same personality as one born in captivity, I also love him dearly, despite the attitude he has sometimes!

As for Macaws, I don't have a terrible amount of experience with them, but from what I know, they're big clowns, love attention and cuddles. In my opinion this is what you'd be looking for. The only downside is their probability of being pluckers when not given the proper attention, but I don't see that ever being a problem for you.

I'd suggest going to visit some birds at a rescue if there's one close to you, to interact with different adult birds of different species to gain a better perspective on their similarities and differences. Regardless of the bird you choose (or one that might choose you) I think you'll be just fine and will be a great pet parent.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mini macs generally aren't pluckers... I don't buy that.

HOWEVER what happens when a macaw doesn't get enough attention is, THEY GET MAD. They are more likely to "pluck you" at that point...

Macs are generally cuddlers if they get handled.

Tags have that wonderful quirky (some say neurotic) independent personality. They're generally not particularly cuddly... but their very smart, and quirky, and the better talkers.

You really don't get a sense of it, until you get out there and start handling them, and find one you just "click" with... choose the bird who also chooses you. That's my best advice.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
And @Scott, Thank you for your input, I been learning that TAGs have less powder-down than COGs. Thank you for comparing it to an Amazon for a better picture as I have spent some time with Amazons. Would you have experience with both COGs and TAGs or just TAGs?

Only the TAGs. Have a single male, ET who lives uncaged with a bunch of Cockatoos. The latter are, of course, heavily powdered! My least powdered parrot is a female Eclectus. I wouldn't consider my BFA to be heavily powdered, though when he "fluffs up" in the sunlight you can see a nice powdery cloud!

OP
B

bluelagoon538

Sep 24, 2015
Parrots
Thank you guys for providing me with very helpful information.
Good advice @ Birdman666, I will find some time to meet the flock. This may help me make the final decision.
Thank you @ Aquila for the advice and the motivation. I will definitely check out a few birds. I do feel I will do just fine now.
I have a very strong feeling I will most likely go with a TAG <3
Thank you guys!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I really think the important thing is that you already know you will love whichever bird you get.

The best plan is really to GO SPEND TIME with SEXUALLY MATURE individuals of whichever species you choose. And other species. Go find as many adult parrots as you can and spend time getting to know them. This is how a lot of birds came OFF my "wish list" lol, was spending time with them and realizing they were not my ideal match even though they seemed like they were when I read about them.

Is there a reason you aren't considering another Quaker?

OP
B

bluelagoon538

Sep 24, 2015
Parrots
I really think the important thing is that you already know you will love whichever bird you get.

The best plan is really to GO SPEND TIME with SEXUALLY MATURE individuals of whichever species you choose. And other species. Go find as many adult parrots as you can and spend time getting to know them. This is how a lot of birds came OFF my "wish list" lol, was spending time with them and realizing they were not my ideal match even though they seemed like they were when I read about them.

Is there a reason you aren't considering another Quaker?

Thank you for your input, and yes that's my plan now- to go check out as many personalities and spend time with them. Glad to know you were in this position once, makes me feel like I'm not the only one with the confusion. I was thinking about getting another Quaker, thanks for mentioning, but I feel I need to "advance" to a bigger bird for care because parrot-hood got to me? I am not sure why tbh. Being with my Quaker taught me you can become best friends with a parrot. I was with her for 5 years and although she only had a vocab of close to 10-15 words, few phrases, and imitating a few sounds, I still felt a huge heartily connection with her. May be that this connection may progress to another level for us two? Advancing to a bigger bird may help me feel more secure about the long-term commitment as well, maybe the reason to me wanting a bigger bird? (longer lifespan?) Either way, a challenge of being a good parent has been accepted! ;)

:)thanks! and Btw, that pic is too adorable! :O

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Lol Mark, "pluck you" sounds very appropriate for an angry macaw ;)

Good luck with your choice Bluelagoon! So much fun, and so much agony with the wait, all at the same time :) I can't wait to see what you bring home.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm glad you loved your bird and I'm sure you will love your next one :) but I have to say, there is not "advancing" to bigger birds :) the beak is bigger, the mess is bigger, the price is bigger, but those of us with little birds know that our little guys are every bit as "big" of a parrot. A well cared for healthy Quaker should live 25+ years... I think that's a long enough life span for anyone ;) don't feel like there is some sort of level of parrot ownership that you need to rise to; even the tiny budgie is a full fledged parrot! Just ask Disco the Parakeet! Seriously, look Disco up on YouTube. I personally love my little birds, and I have 19 birds about Quaker sized and smaller. Nobody better tell them anything about "advancing"! Lol, they are more spunk and personality than my larger birds :)

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I'm glad you loved your bird and I'm sure you will love your next one :) but I have to say, there is not "advancing" to bigger birds :) the beak is bigger, the mess is bigger, the price is bigger, but those of us with little birds know that our little guys are every bit as "big" of a parrot. A well cared for healthy Quaker should live 25+ years... I think that's a long enough life span for anyone ;) don't feel like there is some sort of level of parrot ownership that you need to rise to; even the tiny budgie is a full fledged parrot! Just ask Disco the Parakeet! Seriously, look Disco up on YouTube. I personally love my little birds, and I have 19 birds about Quaker sized and smaller. Nobody better tell them anything about "advancing"! Lol, they are more spunk and personality than my larger birds :)

I'd call "advancing" just admitting you have MBS, multiple bird syndrome. :p

OP
B

bluelagoon538

Sep 24, 2015
Parrots
Thank you guys for all your help. It really did help because I spent some time with macaws and african greys including one timneh. Jack (the timneh) had a great personality so after all the good things I am hearing about them and just witnessing it myself, I will be going for a TAG! lol Thanks guys once again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts