Tips for my Double Yellow Headed Amazon

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Need help with my new Amazon. Got him from a rescue, and he is currently very skittish. I know since he's in our new home, he needs time to acclimate. Currently he will step up on my arm no issues...however when I reach over to scratch the back of his neck or check his wings, he freaks out. Im assuming this all takes ton of patience and time...but what do you suggest for me to do? I know its important to train your parrot to allow ypu to check them over so when I take him to the vet to get his wings clipped or beak and nails trimmed...It won't be a horrific experience.

Another concern i have is that hes quite...we leave him in peace and play some music, and encourage him when he makes small noises....or is this normal at this point?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Jesse

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Give him some time to get used to his new surroundings. Days maybe 2 weeks. Parrots accept change very slowly, so don't rush things.

inkspider

Jun 8, 2021
st. augustine florida
Parrots
Roman GCC
I haven't had any birds yet personally (I will in July and I am excited beyond expression) but I have done a ton of research and YouTube watching over the years and from your other post I think the bird just needs more time to trust you before they'll be comfortable interacting with you in a way it can't see or control if that makes sense, especially since you said it seems as though the bird has been through a lot in the past. As for volume, it could be scared to make a lot of noise because of their previous living situation and need time to feel comfortable or just naturally be a quieter bird. I definitely don't know a lot about birds from experience, but I thought it might help to share.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Since you have done some research regarding Amazons or at least a DYH Amazon(?). What have you found?

Well, you have one of the 'Hot Three' Amazons, which mean when they transition thru Hormonal Season (every year) they commonly get far more of a short of Hormones than other Amazons.

First: Start with taking your DYH Amazon to a Certified Avian Medical Professional! That should have been a requirement of the Rescue! If they state they took s/he to their Vet, ask for the Vet Visit report, so you have some idea what they may have tested s/he for.

Second: How Old is your Amazon? If five years or younger, did you get a CITES Hatch Certificate with the Amazon! If no, you should go back and request such a document.

Third: What Sex is your Amazon? The only document that counts is a DNA Blood Test!

Forth: Have you Read "With Understanding" the Understanding Amazon Body Language Thread at the top of the Amazon sub-forum! The other huge Thread: I Love Amazons is filled with tons of information about loving and living with Amazons!

Fifth: You're clearly moving far to fast for your Amazon! Slow-down!

Six: What information did the Rescue Provide You regarding this Amazons History and how long did they watch your interaction with your Amazon. Very possible that you purchased from a reseller and not a real Rescue. A Real Rescue will have a 501 or 503 document. Ask to see it!

After you have collected and /or read the information provided. Lets move to stage two.

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Give him some time to get used to his new surroundings. Days maybe 2 weeks. Parrots accept change very slowly, so don't rush things.

sounds good will do! have an appt with the vet on Tuesday, then after that he should be left alone.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

sounds good will do! have an appt with the vet on Tuesday, then after that he should be left alone.

The goal is to not leave them alone but to to interact with them at their rate.

The Additional Information?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Thank you yes! things are moving in the right direction, he is eating pellets, drinking water, and he/she has been eating veggies along with some pasta. I bond with the bird when he/she is asking for attention, seems pretty obvious when he is lol his poop isn't watery and isn't too frequent. We let him walk around the house until he tells us to bring him back to his comfort zone (his cage) as he will walk right on over to it. We are letting him show us when he wants to socially open up to us...we want him to feel safe.

The bird is still not vocal (meaning not squawking, or very active). The vet appt (recommended by many other vets in the area to take my Parrot to) is on Tuesday..they will perform blood work, file the nails, beak, and will also perform a DNA test. whoever clipped his wings previously did a ****ty job..this poor guy

Background on the bird, as i mentioned on another section in the forum when i was initially looking for a bird.

Saw an add in the local classifieds here in my area..the person selling was stating how they are a rescue..so i was inclined to go this route considering the frustration i experienced over the net...and the multiple scams...it was a complete nightmare.

i really don't want to go into specifics on what i witnessed when i got the bird...but without a doubt it was not a rescue...i felt really really bad for this bird. It obviously experienced trauma, which explains why the bird is completely quiet. I tried bringing the bird to the vet same day i picked him/her up...and i also called other agencies which i do not wish to disclose on the internet due to legalities.

Long story short, this dude or female parrot experienced some ****...like a ton...and the wife and i couldn't just leave him there. I have nothing but time on my hands now that i am retired from the military, so i will do my best to try and rehabilitate.

Th bird industry has changed a TON from when i first experienced getting a parrot 15 years ago. from scam artist in Africa, to bootleg resellers, to fake rescues, and many of these birds are being released into homes to where they simply do not have the capacity to care for these birds...these are not like dogs..they live to 80+ years of age at times, and they go to multiple homes, get treated like ****, and are left to horrific situations...dogs and cats have more safeguards than these parrots..and they only live till the age of 13 or 14 at best.

I will do my best with this guy..its ***ked up what happened to him/her (will know after i get back the DNA test) and to think he's still able to hang out with me on the couch or able to eat is beyond me.

Thank you guys for the links, they are very helpful. Once i get back from the vet i will provide an update.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Any updates on your new guy/gal???

One thing about parrots..they are fighters!!

Jim

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Hello and thank you for asking!!..Manolo..(now that we went to the vet, they believe the bird might actually be a female, definitive results will let me know here in a few days, possibly next weeks, so might need a new name lmao)

The vet did a physical on the bird, said she is fat...very much so over weight. When I got her I been giving her veggies and pellets, which I will continue to do. We also got blood work done and also am testing the bird for any diseases that may harm the bird and or myself.

They were taken back on the whole story...one of the employees were in tears needless to say. He said she is well tamed for a amazon parrot that went through all this..and he said to give her some time...similar advice to what you guys gave.

Considering shes drinking water, eating veggies and pellets...I might be able to turn her around. I am currently out and about, but when I get home I will list out some questions that I have...thank you all again. More to follow once the blood test results come back and the DNA as well. As he mentioned how males tend to be a bit more on the aggressive side in comparison to females .

But yes, there is more to follow this whole story, I will keep you all informed.

Jesse

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Hello and thank you for asking!!..Manolo..(now that we went to the vet, they believe the bird might actually be a female, definitive results will let me know here in a few days, possibly next weeks, so might need a new name lmao)

The vet did a physical on the bird, said she is fat...very much so over weight. When I got her I been giving her veggies and pellets, which I will continue to do. We also got blood work done and also am testing the bird for any diseases that may harm the bird and or myself.

They were taken back on the whole story...one of the employees were in tears needless to say. He said she is well tamed for a amazon parrot that went through all this..and he said to give her some time...similar advice to what you guys gave.

Considering shes drinking water, eating veggies and pellets...I might be able to turn her around. I am currently out and about, but when I get home I will list out some questions that I have...thank you all again. More to follow once the blood test results come back and the DNA as well. As he mentioned how males tend to be a bit more on the aggressive side in comparison to females .

But yes, there is more to follow this whole story, I will keep you all informed.

Jesse

Thanks for the update Jesse..and welcome to the forum. This forum and it's members are one-of-a-kind..everyone here lives for their fid's!

Do you have a scale to weight Manolo?? ( Barry Manolo lol) It's a good thing to have.It is difficult to notice weight lose by eye and when you do notice it could mean something is terribly wrong. If you weigh Manolo,do it in the morning,before brekky and after his first dump..err I mean movement :rolleyes: keep a daily record. How much did "manny" weigh?

Amy is 31 years old,not as active as he should be. He weighs 532g's now. He was almost 560 at one time. Amy is a Blue Front not a DYH. His doc says BF's can weigh as much as 600g's :eek:
When Amy picked me to go home with he was only four months old. I "assumed" he was a female..hence the name Amy. It took me 25 yrs to do a DNA..imagine my suprise when it came back male lol. Could have renamed him Amos but he knows his name by now :)

I hope everything turns good for Manolo. Please keep us posted. Also we just LOVE pictures here!

Jim

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
ok here are the list of questions that i have, which i got for my previous Parrot, but not certain if this is necessary or even good for parrots:

1- orthopedic bird perch (owned one fro previous bird, but then his beak was like a lethal weapon lol)

2- toys....i purchased toys for her, and all its seeming like its doing is taking up her space in the cage.

3- Vet said veggies and pellets, are zupreem pellets ok? or should i just only go with lafeber's ? she seems to be eating a ton of carrots...what other veggies you guys suggest? i will try some steamed broccoli next...but she definitely likes raw carrots.

4- outdoor perch? what do you guys suggest? she likes the outdoors...want to get her something that won't get too hot for her feet.

5- she still isn't very much talkative..she might squak lightly in the AM or in the afternoon or when she's aggravated...but not talkative at all..im assuming to still give her some time? will she ever talk or want to communicate? I'm wondering if they use to beat her when she made noise or something...i don't mind a noisey bird at all...hoping she comes into her own. but what experiences have you guys seen with similar situations? anything to expect>?

6- stepping up..initially she had zero issues of stepping up onto my hand from her cage...now...she doesn't like it at all. so i use a stick that she has no issues stepping up on, which then i transfer her onto my arm...this has been reliable, but would like to not rely on the stick...also while holding her, the vet gave a great suggestion from what it seemed, i hold her close to my chest and it calms her down a ton to where then she allows me to touch the back of her neck a bit...something i am slowing trying to get her acclimated to. I am guessing this takes time as well..

so that's what i got for now, if you guys can help provide any information in regards to, it will be greatly appreciated! thank you,

-Jesse

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
1- orthopedic bird perch (owned one fro previous bird, but then his beak was like a lethal weapon lol)

We use one for Salty's sleeping perch. Does OK in keeping his nails less sharp. Not great, just OK. The cement ones are kinda hard on their feet, so offer regular wood perches too.

2- toys....i purchased toys for her, and all its seeming like its doing is taking up her space in the cage.
Some parrots have never been introduced to toys, hence have no idea what to do with them. Try playing with some of them your self, making a big deal of how much fun they are to take apart.

3- Vet said veggies and pellets, are zupreem pellets ok? or should i just only go with lafeber's ? she seems to be eating a ton of carrots...what other veggies you guys suggest? i will try some steamed broccoli next...but she definitely likes raw carrots.
Both those are just so/so brands, lots of additives and stuff. Best is considered Tops, Roudybush or best best is Harrisons (but $$ and need refrigeration) Raw carrots are not really digestible by parrots, better to boil or cook them, they can absorb more of the nutrients that way.

4- outdoor perch? what do you guys suggest? she likes the outdoors...want to get her something that won't get too hot for her feet.
Light colored wood perch. NOT a dowel, but a natural branch. Be sure the parrot can't fly if its outdoors!!

5- she still isn't very much talkative..she might squak lightly in the AM or in the afternoon or when she's aggravated...but not talkative at all..im assuming to still give her some time? will she ever talk or want to communicate? I'm wondering if they use to beat her when she made noise or something...i don't mind a noisey bird at all...hoping she comes into her own. but what experiences have you guys seen with similar situations? anything to expect>?
Talking or singing or other vocalizations will come when she is more relaxed and at home. Time, lots of time, if she was abused.

6- stepping up..initially she had zero issues of stepping up onto my hand from her cage...now...she doesn't like it at all. so i use a stick that she has no issues stepping up on, which then i transfer her onto my arm...this has been reliable, but would like to not rely on the stick...also while holding her, the vet gave a great suggestion from what it seemed, i hold her close to my chest and it calms her down a ton to where then she allows me to touch the back of her neck a bit...something i am slowing trying to get her acclimated to. I am guessing this takes time as well..
Yup, time and more time. Always proceed at the parrots rate of change or acceptance, which can be GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brain rate.

Last edited:
OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021

Jesse

Thanks for the update Jesse..and welcome to the forum. This forum and it's members are one-of-a-kind..everyone here lives for their fid's!

Do you have a scale to weight Manolo?? ( Barry Manolo lol) It's a good thing to have.It is difficult to notice weight lose by eye and when you do notice it could mean something is terribly wrong. If you weigh Manolo,do it in the morning,before brekky and after his first dump..err I mean movement :rolleyes: keep a daily record. How much did "manny" weigh?

Amy is 31 years old,not as active as he should be. He weighs 532g's now. He was almost 560 at one time. Amy is a Blue Front not a DYH. His doc says BF's can weigh as much as 600g's :eek:
When Amy picked me to go home with he was only four months old. I "assumed" he was a female..hence the name Amy. It took me 25 yrs to do a DNA..imagine my suprise when it came back male lol. Could have renamed him Amos but he knows his name by now :)

I hope everything turns good for Manolo. Please keep us posted. Also we just LOVE pictures here!

Jim

I will definitely get a scale, great idea! Yes my family can't wait to know the sex of the bird...they have 4 reserved names for the gender reveal Lol. My biggest worry atm are the blood test results..hope she/he will be ok. yes we took some images of her/him, here they are:

51254850365_f0b3d76a15_c.jpg

51254554799_437f6eb808_c.jpg

and her view from her cage at night:

51253754381_176b2fd8bb_c.jpg

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
We use one for Salty's sleeping perch. Does OK in keeping his nails less sharp. Not great, just OK. The cement ones are kinda hard on their feet, so offer regular wood perches too.

Some parrots have never been introduced to toys, hence have no idea what to do with them. Try playing with some of them your self, making a big deal of how much fun they are to take apart.

Both those are just so/so brands, lots of additives and stuff. Best is considered Tops, Roudybush or best best is Harrisons (but $$ and need refrigeration) Raw carrots are not really digestible by parrots, better to boil or cook them, they can absorb more of the nutrients that way.

Light colored wood perch. NOT a dowel, but a natural branch. Be sure the parrot can't fly if its outdoors!!

Talking or singing or other vocalizations will come when she is more relaxed and at home. Time, lots of time, if she was abused.

Yup, time and more time. Always proceed at the parrots rate of change or acceptance, which can be GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brain rate.

sounds good thank you

She/he definitely seems like this was the case...has no clue what to do with the toys...i will give this a shot.

I will try Harrisons..i will try and google a spot to purchase..as the diet was a main concern currently

Yes currently her/his wings are clipped...i will google some wood perches online and see what pops up, and see if i can get one for the inside of the cage as well...the cage came with a wooden dowel which looks uncomfortable for her.

unfortunately i believe she was abused...sucks..cause she seems very sweet...has yet to "bite" but definitely does warnings or would literally just move my hand out the way...we will let he relax for sure.

sounds like a plan..! Thank you tons

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So 2 things

1 VERY IMPORTANT even clipped parrots can fly. Given a puff or 2 of wind, a sudden fright, and a frightened, full grown amazon will be able to fly away, even if clipped. Happened to me, it's recorded on this board many times, and should always be a concern for any parrot that is outside. Aside from predators in your area, if any, lots of commonplace stuff scares parrots. And, like us when really frightened, a healthy amazon is capable of sudden bursts not seen like when they fall off a pearch.

2 That pushing away means a few things. It needs to be respected certainly, but it means she is being pretty polite too, which is really good. She trusts you enough to not nip or bite, as long as you don't persist!

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Yes it was like she picked up my hand and moved it away from her...meaning like "right now isn't a good time for this" lol. Also while out, she would climb down and just walk back to her cage...she certainly does not seem like a escape artist lol

Sounds good, I will be careful with her outside.

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Another milestone completed lol...the vet (which has been phenomenal btw..Parish Creek) explained how I can mist the bird to sort of get her excited to take a bath...well it worked great. Needless to say she had a blast taking a bath as well.

The vet got back the blood work, said she seems ok...nothing alarming besides the evidence of being overweight of course. Explained to the vet how she's eating veggies and pellets and he was stoked..and wants to do a followup in 6 months.

DNA still not back yet lol...dying to know of he or she is a he or she lmao. Shes also warming up to everyone as everyone is respecting her environment and we pay attention to her cues.

I also contacted a trainer...which i might sit in some courses to help me learn...as I'm sure I have lots to learn about the Amazon Parrot.

More to follow next week upon results.

Jesse

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Training Amazons is pretty easy, they are so food oriented. Figure out what her? favorite treat is, andd that becomes the training treat exclusively. Try to set a specific time each day for training, they thrive on regularity, she will eventually know its time to learn and be ready for it. No more than 15 minutes at most, and likely much less at first. Three things to keep in mind when training:

Be IMMEDIATE - have the treat ready and reward immediately when there is movement towards the goal. So if its shake hands at first, the first little movement of her foot to your hand, boom - reward. use verbal que to, like Good Bird, said enthusiastically.

Be CONSISTENT - always ask for the trick or action the same way every time, so the bird does not get confused. All the family should use the same request, like Step Up in example. I also use a hand signal too, that should also be consistent.

Be PATIENT - you likely know this already. Build on things already learned, so if she learns shake hands, you can then go to Wave Hello. Show her how the trick foes, so if its stacking blocks, show her how they stack a few times and then ask her to try. If its playing basketball, show her how the ball goes thru the hoop. You get the idea.

Check out some of Salty's videos, link below, to see what is possible!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I feed Amy Roudybush maintainence pellets..my CAV has them on her shelf,so if she is selling them,she must approve..right??:rolleyes: Then again it's like some one saying Micky Dee's is better than Burger Ding. People here swear by Harrisons..some by Roudytush..others Zupreem. Personally I think it should be left up to the parrot lol..BB the cockatiel loves his Fruity Blend Zupreem. I've tried Roudybush maintainance and he ignores them.

Funny how you mentioned that Manny will grab your finger and move it away. My friend Mariann who has Shainna the DYH does the exact same thing. I wonder if it's a DYH thing??lol..Amy will just BITE the finger to remove it :eek:

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts