Too clingy

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I was having my conure wings clipped but then decided to let her fly around for exercise. Now the problem is that once out of the cage, she flies straight to my shoulder. I don't mind this as an occasional habit but it like she wants to be nowhere else. Are the any strategies to have her spend time in other places outside of the cage?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
you......bought a conure........and didn't expect it to be a shoulder bird?

There is a reason conures are one of, if not the most popular bird species. They bond with their owner like glue.

As far as advice....Id say get one of those play stations and put a lot of millet and fruit on it but.....srsrly the best advice I can give is just do what you need to do whether the bird is on you or not. Need to sweep the kitchen, sweep the kitchen, need to do laundry, do the laundry. The bird is not going to fall off you. Just do your routine and know you have a buddy "helping" you at every step.

Sorry if this sounds mean, I'm not being mean, its just reality. Do what you would normally do just expect an observer watching and hanging out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Also they will explore more in time, but for now you are the center of their universe.

OP
B

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
you......bought a conure........and didn't expect it to be a shoulder bird?

There is a reason conures are one of, if not the most popular bird species. They bond with their owner like glue.

As far as advice....Id say get one of those play stations and put a lot of millet and fruit on it but.....srsrly the best advice I can give is just do what you need to do whether the bird is on you or not. Need to sweep the kitchen, sweep the kitchen, need to do laundry, do the laundry. The bird is not going to fall off you. Just do your routine and know you have a buddy "helping" you at every step.

Sorry if this sounds mean, I'm not being mean, its just reality. Do what you would normally do just expect an observer watching and hanging out.
I don't think you were being mean at all. I have done all of those chores and amazed she doesn't fall off. I can deal with the shoulder but in time, she tries to get under my shirt and that creates a problem for both of us. I was just trying to see if any parronts trained their birds to hang out somewhere else for a while.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'd recommend making a Disneyland for the conure close to you, where you are in view. But has tons of things to destroy and eat.

Mangosbuddy

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots
Sun conure
If I am cleaning the kitchen, I let him play on his portable gym on the bar counter. It’s a good time for play and and a snack. I also have a window perch for him to look out the window and chew his toys while I work. He is on my shoulder most of the day but I like it. I even take him in his carrier when I run errands. I think having multiple play stations for him helps but they do need to be close by within viewing distance. If he cannot see me, he starts squawking but as long as he is close and has activity stations it may help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts