Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yup, Quaker parrots live in NYC too, many places. There a ton of 'em by my son's apartment in Astoria Queens, I've seen them. If fact now that the leaves are all fallen it's quite easy to see them.

January 31, 2019 - 2 deg F !!! I don't even go outside at all when its 2 freaking degrees out!

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Must be very cold tolerant parrots!! I have live in Lewellen, Nebraska (panhandle near North Platte River) and saw -50F on chilly morning I believe it was 1983. I grew up in NW Nebraska where winter temps can plummet down to -20 -30 and occasionally -40 F. Yet Wyoming, which is only a few miles from where I grew up, Quaker Parrots are illegal to own because of the chance of them getting out, breeding and making a nuisance to crops. I think they would be a LOT less worry to crops than say a flock of Startling or other birds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'll bet its warm by that light abd its wind block. Smart parrots!

I have an article in ornithology showing quakers are not crop destroyers . And are actually beneficial to native birds, as documented use of their nest structures by st least 10 native species i think. Documented not aggressive to other species when observed in mix flocks at feeders or wikd food sources

OP
JohnH

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Must be very cold tolerant parrots!! I have live in Lewellen, Nebraska (panhandle near North Platte River) and saw -50F on chilly morning I believe it was 1983. I grew up in NW Nebraska where winter temps can plummet down to -20 -30 and occasionally -40 F. Yet Wyoming, which is only a few miles from where I grew up, Quaker Parrots are illegal to own because of the chance of them getting out, breeding and making a nuisance to crops. I think they would be a LOT less worry to crops than say a flock of Startling or other birds.
They are an odd group of birds. Its strange that they don't venture east where the farms are. I really don't know what they are eating to stay alive.

OP
JohnH

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
I'll bet its warm by that light abd its wind block. Smart parrots!

I have an article in ornithology showing quakers are not crop destroyers . And are actually beneficial to native birds, as documented use of their nest structures by st least 10 native species i think. Documented not aggressive to other species when observed in mix flocks at feeders or wikd food sources
Their nests are giant. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm in that neighborhood.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe theory about quakers goes: They are communal nest builders, and are EXCEPTIONALLY good at building them. In populated areas they tend to build them on utility poles and especially those with electrical equipment on them like transformers which generate heat. The nests prevent the transformers from dissipating the heat and either quit working or in rare cases break out into fires.

Ever want to see how well Quakers build, throw a couple handfuls of popsicle sticks into their cage; you'll be hard pressed to take it apart.

OP
JohnH

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
THe theory about quakers goes: They are communal nest builders, and are EXCEPTIONALLY good at building them. In populated areas they tend to build them on utility poles and especially those with electrical equipment on them like transformers which generate heat. The nests prevent the transformers from dissipating the heat and either quit working or in rare cases break out into fires.

Ever want to see how well Quakers build, throw a couple handfuls of popsicle sticks into their cage; you'll be hard pressed to take it apart.
27527.jpeg
27524.jpeg
27523.jpeg

You are right. My brother sent me these pictures this morning

Most Reactions

Latest posts