Toxic List for our Birds.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Potatoe is fine as well as tomatoes (well washed of course), but keep the leaves, vines, stems away they are highly toxic.

Right on the money Tracy!

A potato, if cooked, is fine (like the mashed you described). A tomato, is fine whether cooked or raw. The leaves, vines, and stems, are not good... it's a fruit thing (and a tomato is a fruit)...but the fruit itself is fine with a tomato.

Veggies, like a potato - cook.

If you're concerned, and even if you're not, talk with your vet. The nutrition information is only a guideline, not ever an absolute.

Tomatoes and Potato are both from the nightshade family. Chances are the toxins in the leaves/stems/vines carry the same poisonous properties as deadly nightshade.

gretta

Aug 13, 2012
Kentucky
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thank you so much for sharing this list! I will save this in my book for future reference!

Tommy_Trauma

May 22, 2012
Indianapolis, In
Wow, on the 1st page, fifth post it says cedar is toxic. Should we not use this for bedding in the cages lower droppings pan. Its not reachable by Tookie but we've always used this (the big bags of cedar bedding you can buy at Wally World) instead of newspapers, or pine bedding. We've never had them (thank God) but I've always read that cedar around the house is a great deterrent to bed bugs.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Wow, on the 1st page, fifth post it says cedar is toxic. Should we not use this for bedding in the cages lower droppings pan. Its not reachable by Tookie but we've always used this (the big bags of cedar bedding you can buy at Wally World) instead of newspapers, or pine bedding. We've never had them (thank God) but I've always read that cedar around the house is a great deterrent to bed bugs.

I believe the toxicity is related to ingestion only. If you can be sure they will never come into contact with it then it might be ok.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sorry Goaler, but cedar, redwood & even pine chips/shavings have been linked to skin blistering and deaths of chicks and linked to plucking, barbering & self-mutilation in older birds.....

Actually, there is danger from these woods to other pets also, even though wally world, hardware stores, pet stores & virtually every online vendor sells peddles them on their shelves.....

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The link no longer works

Which link? This one http://www.parrotparrot.com/birdhealth/alerts.htm

That was posted 8 years ago, in the life of the internet, sometimes 8 days is too long for links.....the secret to finding specific information is to search that particular informational topic and ferret through all the unrelated garbage links.....if you look at the purveyors of the parrotparrot.com website, it is Rough Magic, an internet marketing firm that is apparently now using the site to post unrelated advertising (revenue producing advertising) that has nothing to do with what you were looking for...there are hundreds of thousands of those types of sites around the internet.....

1CuteTiel

Oct 10, 2010
Chicago area
Parrots
cockatiel
Thank you Weco you guessed right - sorry, I really should have included the link I was talking about - I was a little emotional because this is the 1st time I have been on the forum since my beloved feathered friend passed from this life and I was kind of emotional and crying but had to post information I had found about ceramic coated pans.

Found a list of toxic or problem things on this website so here is the new direct link to the list
Alerts & Toxins | Parrot Parrot

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thank you for this list. The link provided just kept me from making a horrible mistake! I just bought JoJo a hanging ball forging toy, filled it with millet and hung it in her cage. Reading the list, I saw this toy listed-and absolutely my new toy fell into the danger catagory! The size I got has holes the same size as jojo's head!
Again, thank you!

Sean21

Feb 23, 2016
Media
Ireland
Parrots
1 pair of cockatiels,1 pair of rock pebblers, 20 budgies,1 pair of kakariki,2 quails and 1 hand reared conure.
Please everyone don't forget that avocado is seriously toxic for birds. 6 years ago my lovely Amazon Lucy was Staying with my mom while I was away.My mom was making guacamole for our chillie. My mom gave her some avocado and the fats and the oil shut down her liver within 3 hours. She died before I got home 😰 RIP LUCY MY LITTLE AMAZON:green:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Please everyone don't forget that avocado is seriously toxic for birds. 6 years ago my lovely Amazon Lucy was Staying with my mom while I was away.My mom was making guacamole for our chillie. My mom gave her some avocado and the fats and the oil shut down her liver within 3 hours. She died before I got home 😰 RIP LUCY MY LITTLE AMAZON:green:

Thats very sad and i'm very sorry that happened.

It's the persin that is toxic in avocado's, not the oils/fat. Generally it causes an immediate heart attack and then death.

I LOVE avocado's and dark chocolate. If I make anything with avocado's though, I do it after the fids go to bed..or the fids go to bed early. :54:

Jardine

Mar 10, 2016
Is the smell of tee tree oil toxic, or only if they eat it?? My kids got head lice, and I have previously done thier hair with tee tree oil. I wash thier hair with shampoo directly afterwards. Okay? Not okay?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hope this helps

Tea tree oil is toxic, to both humans and pets, if taken orally. In Australia 100 percent tree tea oil is categorized as a schedule 6 toxin. Packaging there requires child-proof containers and cautionary labeling. Such packaging and labeling are not necessary in the U.S. and Canada. A 10 year long veterinary study of tea tree oil toxicity in pets found that 89 percent of owners who used 100 percent oil assumed that it was safe. The researches felt that the lack of labeling was a major reason for the feeling of safety on the part of American pet owners.

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity for Pets

Tea tree oil contains various types of chemicals called terpenes. These are the chemicals that make the oil effective against bacteria and fungi. They are also the toxic agent. Terpenes are rapidly absorbed into the body whether taken orally or on the skin. This means topical application of concentrated oil can result in the same toxicity as accidental oral ingestion. Given the tendency of pets to groom, especially cats, the toxicity risk of topical applications is amplified.

Symptoms of toxicity vary depending on the dose of terpenes ingested. Minor symptoms like drooling or vomiting may be found with mild doses of oil. Animals with moderate illness may appear weak, have difficulty walking, or seem partially paralyzed. Severely ill animals have life-threating symptoms like tremors, seizures, greatly reduced level of consciousness, or coma. Symptoms follow 2 to 12 hours after exposure.

Treatment for Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Pets

There is no antidote for terpenes. Treatment is based on the level of toxicity. Mild illness may only require skin decontamination with dish soap bathing. Inducing vomiting is not recommended. The neurological effects of the terpenes, as well as the thick quality of the oil, increase the risk of aspiration pneumonia if vomiting is induced.

The effectiveness of orally administered activated charcoal in binding terpenes after oral ingestion of tea tree oil is unknown. Vomiting control with medications is necessary before administering activated charcoal. Activated charcoal should not be given to pets with severe symptoms due to the risk of aspiration of the charcoal liquid.

Skin decontamination and support therapy with intravenous fluids is the standard treatment. Vomiting, muscle tremors, and seizures are treated with medications as needed. Treatment may be necessary for up to 72 hours after exposure. Terpenes are toxic to the liver so the use of liver protectants like SAM-e and silymarin (milk thistle) for two weeks is also recommended.

Prevention of Tea Tree Oil Poisoning in Pets

Although tea tree oil is effective in treating certain skin conditions in pets, it has not been proven to be superior to other traditional medications. In fact, the concentrations of tea tree oil suggested for many skin problems far exceed the concentrations found in most pet products (.1%-1%). The attraction of using a natural product as opposed to a man-made synthetic treatment may not be worth the risk. The use of dilutions of 100 percent tea tree oil should be avoided in pets. It is too easy to miscalculate the amount of oil to use. Finally, oil should be safely stored away from pet access, especially the ingenious, inquisitive cat.

Jardine

Mar 10, 2016
So, as we all do I'm sure...I acted first...asked questions later!!�� My birds are fine, but not being handled by the kids at all. I have washed hair with dish soap 3 times, twice with shampoo...tried vinegar and baking soda...still smell tea tree!!! �� I sure wish that there had been warnings on the label, that would have been helpful. I knew it was kinda bad...but was completely unaware of the severity.

Akaki

Oct 10, 2017
Can tulip bulb
be given to my sun conures? Cooked or raw?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Can tulip bulb
be given to my sun conures? Cooked or raw?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

After doing a Google search, tulip bulbs came up on every unsafe list I clicked on. They said it's toxic to birds, so I wouldn't feed them at all.

MissBritt

Mar 31, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots
I am in the beginning stages of getting a Sun Conure.
Hi all! I have a few questions about the “toxic list” -

I saw air conditioning on the list.. I have central air in my home due to my English Bulldog, will this be harmful to a Sun Conure? I was planning to put the bird cage in our finished basement, which the central air doesn’t affect, but it would affect the bird when I have him upstairs to play.

My fiancé likes to use glade spray in the bathroom, and he sometimes will burn candles in the living room which is on the first floor. Would this be harmful to the bird if it is on a separate floor?

Thanks!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Hi all! I have a few questions about the “toxic list” -

I saw air conditioning on the list.. I have central air in my home due to my English Bulldog, will this be harmful to a Sun Conure? I was planning to put the bird cage in our finished basement, which the central air doesn’t affect, but it would affect the bird when I have him upstairs to play.

My fiancé likes to use glade spray in the bathroom, and he sometimes will burn candles in the living room which is on the first floor. Would this be harmful to the bird if it is on a separate floor?

Thanks!

Central air must have more info specific such as a new system needing to burn off...

But candles and any type of air freshener or sprays in the home are a huge no having birds in the home. As my time as an Adoption Coordinator, part of the process is about education and having scented candles or using air sprays are a major concern and threat to the very sensitive respiratory system of a parrot. Even heavy perfumes are a concern, as well as many cleaning agents. Anything that leaves particles in the air... Glade / Fabreeze type sprays are not healthy for even a child's lungs, but they can be deadly for a parrot. We live in a nice size 3 levels of living home. I had scented candles in my master bathroom on the third floor and even with having a bedroom door and then the bathroom door shut, I had doubts to use the candles with a large soaking tub.

Having a parrot in the home can often mean lifestyle changes that not everyone can agree with... the smell good items many people love such as the plugs, sprays, dispensers are sometimes hard to give up.

I also tried to explain that even tho you have the item on a separate level, the same ventilation system is used throughout. Much like smoking, would you consider it safe to smoke the next room over if you had a newborn baby not far away? Try to approach having a parrot in the home with that same logic :)

Most Reactions