Toy questions + updates on tiki

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
so i decided i want to try a new type of wood other then yucca for my tiel
my tiel loves anything soft and easy to destroy simillar to poinuses
can someone tell me woods that are easliy destroyed ive kept my eyes on pine lately but not sure what tiki thinks about it
i would appritate any links im more of an online shopper since the stores here are garbge when it comes to toys its all mirrors and plastic or very hard and expensive wood
i also want to know how do i get my tiel to forage i mean-
she cant even flip the top of the toy -
thats how spoiled she is-
ill also appericate any diy toys ideas

a little update on tiki:
NO MORE OVER-PREENING YAYAY (well- kinda here and there but you get the point ;))
her tails are growing back and her nose and eye got alot better after more sunlight and noting is wrong with her atleast the blood test said so :)

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm super glad to hear that Tiki isn't overpreening anymore :) And yes, good old sunshine is really good for our feathered friends, it helps a lot to improve their skin and feather state.

Regarding the woods and toys - Our Archibald the 'tiel wasn't an avid chewer, so he wasn't really interested directly in wood. The softest wood there is is the Balsa wood - it's really light weight, very soft. You can buy in shops where they sell wood in general/building material. Maybe even in maket shops, this type of wood is often used for building plane makets because it is so lightweight. Be warned - this wood is not cheap.

You can fetch some chewing toys off the shelves which were meant for rodents (hamsters, mice, rats, you name it). It's often cheaper and equally safe for birds. The toys are usually not made from hardwood.

I highly suggest to get things like Seagrass mats, coconut fibres and such. They are excellent chewables, and I remember my dear Archie loving those. Sola balls, mahogany pods and cork bark are also super excellent chewables, sadly not really available in Hungary, or just really, really expensive here (lucky US!)

Regarding foraging, you need to teach Tiki how to forage. He needs to see.
One guy on youtube who made an excellent video on how do Cockatoos in the wild (or in suburbs) learn how to open the trash cans - they simply learn from each other. They learned from the people that something is in those trashcans, and they will find the way how to open it! One bird saw, learned and all the other started copying it. Really amazing creatures.
Depending on the toy, you need to show there are the yummies in it. Either you open it for Tiki and show, or if it's something that has to be teared, you tear it up and give the treats that's inside, anything, really. I like see through puzzles, gotta love seeing birds just working relentlessly trying to figure out how to get to that blessed treat. Just to see the puzzle destroyed instead of solved :D

I cannot offer you any pages where to buy what as I do not know where are you from, so I cannot check if it can be delivered to you.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I'm super glad to hear that Tiki isn't overpreening anymore :) And yes, good old sunshine is really good for our feathered friends, it helps a lot to improve their skin and feather state.

Regarding the woods and toys - Our Archibald the 'tiel wasn't an avid chewer, so he wasn't really interested directly in wood. The softest wood there is is the Balsa wood - it's really light weight, very soft. You can buy in shops where they sell wood in general/building material. Maybe even in maket shops, this type of wood is often used for building plane makets because it is so lightweight. Be warned - this wood is not cheap.

You can fetch some chewing toys off the shelves which were meant for rodents (hamsters, mice, rats, you name it). It's often cheaper and equally safe for birds. The toys are usually not made from hardwood.

I highly suggest to get things like Seagrass mats, coconut fibres and such. They are excellent chewables, and I remember my dear Archie loving those. Sola balls, mahogany pods and cork bark are also super excellent chewables, sadly not really available in Hungary, or just really, really expensive here (lucky US!)

Regarding foraging, you need to teach Tiki how to forage. He needs to see.
One guy on youtube who made an excellent video on how do Cockatoos in the wild (or in suburbs) learn how to open the trash cans - they simply learn from each other. They learned from the people that something is in those trashcans, and they will find the way how to open it! One bird saw, learned and all the other started copying it. Really amazing creatures.
Depending on the toy, you need to show there are the yummies in it. Either you open it for Tiki and show, or if it's something that has to be teared, you tear it up and give the treats that's inside, anything, really. I like see through puzzles, gotta love seeing birds just working relentlessly trying to figure out how to get to that blessed treat. Just to see the puzzle destroyed instead of solved :D

I cannot offer you any pages where to buy what as I do not know where are you from, so I cannot check if it can be delivered to you.
i will look for all of what you have mentioned
ive seen that person with the sulpher crested named pop eye i think its really amazing how smart they can be
i did try to teach tiki to forage but whenever i say ''its your turn'' she fluffs up and starts beak grinding giving me '' open it for me you slave'' looks lol-

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
i will look for all of what you have mentioned
ive seen that person with the sulpher crested named pop eye i think its really amazing how smart they can be
i did try to teach tiki to forage but whenever i say ''its your turn'' she fluffs up and starts beak grinding giving me '' open it for me you slave'' looks lol-
Yeeees, the very same guy! I loved what he did in that video!

Well, don't spoil Tiki too much ;)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so glad that Tiki isn't over preening any more:)

My tiel (and other smaller guys) also love Balsa wood. They also enjoy small popsicle sticks. I hope you can find some there, I also am not sure where all you can buy from online so won't add any links.

I make almost all my birds' toys, and my tiel loves colourful cupcake holders, cardboard and beads.
Here are a couple of ideas:

This is on sisal rope and I dyed the acid free paper with food colouring. There are 2 small pieces of cardboard in the middle stuffed with paper shred.

rexsfantasticfans.jpg

This one has an paper- based (not foam) egg carton base with cupcake holders, beads, balsa letters and straws. I also used sisal rope on this one.

SawyersShredaganza.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what toys you create!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I'm so glad that Tiki isn't over preening any more:)

My tiel (and other smaller guys) also love Balsa wood. They also enjoy small popsicle sticks. I hope you can find some there, I also am not sure where all you can buy from online so won't add any links.

I make almost all my birds' toys, and my tiel loves colourful cupcake holders, cardboard and beads.
Here are a couple of ideas:

This is on sisal rope and I dyed the acid free paper with food colouring. There are 2 small pieces of cardboard in the middle stuffed with paper shred.

View attachment 31165

This one has an paper- based (not foam) egg carton base with cupcake holders, beads, balsa letters and straws. I also used sisal rope on this one.

View attachment 31166

I'm looking forward to seeing what toys you create!
WOAH THOSE ARE ABSOULTLY AMAZING-
ill be sure to look for balsa wood thank you so much to these amazing ideas :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
WOAH THOSE ARE ABSOULTLY AMAZING-
ill be sure to look for balsa wood thank you so much to these amazing ideas :)
Thank you! I'm sure yours are going to be awesome and that Tiki will love what you come up with:)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Thank you! I'm sure yours are going to be awesome and that Tiki will love what you come up with:)
i mean it isnt some sort of amazing looking thing like yours i dont really care how they look neither does tiki she just wants to destroy
WIN_20211006_19_31_47_Pro.jpg

yiki has already got the millet and the krinkle paper out lol
look at her lerking in the cornor lol

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
i mean it isnt some sort of amazing looking thing like yours i dont really care how they look neither does tiki she just wants to destroy
View attachment 31168
yiki has already got the millet and the krinkle paper out lol
look at her lerking in the cornor lol
I love that idea! I put my big birds' treats in a cupcake holder wrapped up like that and they love it, too.
Tiki looks quite satisfied with herself:)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I love that idea! I put my big birds' treats in a cupcake holder wrapped up like that and they love it, too.
Tiki looks quite satisfied with herself:)
and im satisfied with the mess she made

Most Reactions

Latest posts