Training Day!

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I had the privilege of flying with a lady named Kim Strong. She's been free flying parrots for 25 years. It was an awesome experience. We didn't do anything extravagant because she believes in the free flight process being slow and very calculated.

[ame="https://youtu.be/2p-olobKOsI"]Free Flight Training - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Incredible footage, Stephen!!! :) SO amazing!!! You have to have goosebumps when you see Kyleigh enjoying life so very much. :heart:

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Incredible footage, Stephen!!! :) SO amazing!!! You have to have goosebumps when you see Kyleigh enjoying life so very much. :heart:

It's an amazing feeling. I need to get video of how happy she looks. She's talking and mumbling words and making new sounds the entire time. She landed on me one time and said "hello!" It was great.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
This is amazing! I'm sure Kyleigh loves every minute of her free flying!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Amazing footage, Stephen! Kyleigh is really blossoming under this free flight experience! You can always see such eagerness and joy in her flights.

It's a beautiful thing.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Are you still Free Flying ? I got a chance to see someone here flying there Grey. Scared me to death lol .

We haven flown outside in nearly a week. My gut is unsettled as I know 3 people that have lost their birds recently. They didn't all lose them free flight. But it's got me on edge a bit

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Are you still Free Flying ? I got a chance to see someone here flying there Grey. Scared me to death lol .

We haven flown outside in nearly a week. My gut is unsettled as I know 3 people that have lost their birds recently. They didn't all lose them free flight. But it's got me on edge a bit

I can imagine. Losing one of our birds is a scary thought. But at least Kyleigh is also harness trained, so you do have options.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I like your option that you can fly her in the gym, Stephen! No worries there!! AND, like Stephen (OUR Stephen, lol) already said, she is harness trained, and they do make flight lines. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And that's the thing, they get so happy when they do it, and then they get TWICE as stir crazy when they get used to it and don't get to...

It's that natural macaw exuberance squared...

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Yeah I think we are gonna start utilizing the gym more. Maybe a few times a week. It'll be good for her. I didn't like the harness flying much because she seemed really uncomfortable. But I didn't give it much time either. I'll figure out something lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts