Transitioning from seeds to pellets - need help!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko, who is around 1 and a half years old.

I have been considering changing his diet from seeds to pellets because Kiko canā€™t just pick out his favourite things from the seed mixes and pellets are formulated with a lot of healthy ingredients. If someone disagrees with this, please do comment about it because I just want what is best for my bird and since his main diet isnā€™t veggies as of now, I want the next best thing for him with veggies on the side.

I live in Canada, Ontario. Can someone please recommend some good brands that can be found in stores rather than being ordered online?

Thanks to anyone who replies ā¤ļø

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko, who is around 1 and a half years old.

I have been considering changing his diet from seeds to pellets because Kiko canā€™t just pick out his favourite things from the seed mixes and pellets are formulated with a lot of healthy ingredients. If someone disagrees with this, please do comment about it because I just want what is best for my bird and since his main diet isnā€™t veggies as of now, I want the next best thing for him with veggies on the side.

I live in Canada, Ontario. Can someone please recommend some good brands that can be found in stores rather than being ordered online?

^^ any opinions on the following pellets? (Product + ingredient list screenshot)
34A94EBE-6651-4236-B969-2F9F89F4825F.jpeg
CABB8630-D4A3-4415-9241-9F27BE81FCC7.jpeg

Also, is tropican a good brand?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I like Harrison's ultra fine high potency granules because they are the size and shape of a hulled millet seed and one of the main ingredients is ground millet so they taste good to seed lovers. My budgie loves them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I like Harrison's ultra fine high potency granules because they are the size and shape of a hulled millet seed and one of the main ingredients is ground millet so they taste good to seed lovers. My budgie loves them.
I have no idea if retailers sell Harrison's products. I don't know where you live and what stores are near you. A parrot specialty retailer is more likely to have the better brands than a PetCo or PetSmart. I order practically everything in my life online from Amazon and never have problems that aren't easily fixed. If you're that averse to online shopping your choices are going to be very limited. I realize this may be your parents issue not yours but maybe you have a friend or relative that buys things online that would order the products of your choice for you and you can pay them when they arrive. Good luck. I would hate to be limited to what my local pet stores carry though if they carry what I want I'm all for supporting local small businesses. The PetCos etc- not so much.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
^^ any opinions on the following pellets? (Product + ingredient list screenshot) View attachment 48303View attachment 48304
Also, is tropican a good brand?

I'm also in Canada, and I use both Zupreme as well as Tropimix. The Tropimix also has a few seeds in it, and I believe the smaller birds benefit from having a few seeds in their diet.

My flock does well on both.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm also in Canada, and I use both Zupreme as well as Tropimix. The Tropimix also has a few seeds in it, and I believe the smaller birds benefit from having a few seeds in their diet.

My flock does well on both.
I would make sure the pellets are small. I've seen pellets for cockatiels and budgies that are so big I don't know how the bird swallows them without choking. I suppose they can grind them up in their beaks but I think small birds like cockatiels used to seeds aren't used to eating large food items like larger parrots are and they'd be more likely to eat them if it didn't take that much work.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have no idea if retailers sell Harrison's products. I don't know where you live and what stores are near you. A parrot specialty retailer is more likely to have the better brands than a PetCo or PetSmart. I order practically everything in my life online from Amazon and never have problems that aren't easily fixed. If you're that averse to online shopping your choices are going to be very limited. I realize this may be your parents issue not yours but maybe you have a friend or relative that buys things online that would order the products of your choice for you and you can pay them when they arrive. Good luck. I would hate to be limited to what my local pet stores carry though if they carry what I want I'm all for supporting local small businesses. The PetCos etc- not so much.
I will check on Amazon šŸ˜Š I do have a pet store around 20 min away from
Me and they sell TOPs, Harrisonā€™s, and other brands, however theyā€™re around 20 dollars for 1lb and I donā€™t know how long that would last. We donā€™t have an issue with ordering food online as long as the quantity is enough to last at least a month.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I would make sure the pellets are small. I've seen pellets for cockatiels and budgies that are so big I don't know how the bird swallows them without choking. I suppose they can grind them up in their beaks but I think small birds like cockatiels used to seeds aren't used to eating large food items like larger parrots are and they'd be more likely to eat them if it didn't take that much work.
I know that tops sells pellets that are a very good size for birds like Kiko. I will also be considering tropican because I have heard good things about it and itā€™s easily accessible, being a Canadian brand. Have you tried it, @Terry57 ? Or is tropimix better?

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Zupreem isn't a bad brand, it does contain some sugar but if it gets your bird eating pellets it's fine.
I actually recommend you let your bird choose a brand for you. It's way easier getting a brand they like than trying to convince them to eat one they don't! Try a couple different brands till you get one he likes.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Both of the pellets I use come in different sizes, and the ones that are cockatiel sized are really small. Great point to mention!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I know that tops sells pellets that are a very good size for birds like Kiko. I will also be considering tropican because I have heard good things about it and itā€™s easily accessible, being a Canadian brand. Have you tried it, @Terry57 ? Or is tropimix better?
I haven't tried Tops, the only way I have found to get it here is have it shipped from the states. That's way too expensive for us. I have heard nothing but good things about it, though.

Tropican and Tropimix are both great pellets. I believe that Hari does a lot of research when formulating their food.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I will check on Amazon šŸ˜Š I do have a pet store around 20 min away from
Me and they sell TOPs, Harrisonā€™s, and other brands, however theyā€™re around 20 dollars for 1lb and I donā€™t know how long that would last. We donā€™t have an issue with ordering food online as long as the quantity is enough to last at least a month.
One cockatiels can't eat too much in a month so don't let the price scare you away. Also remember that with pellets you aren't paying for inedible seed hulls and seeds that your bird refuses to eat. The Harrison's pellets are more expensive per pound but it would take a cockatiel a long time to eat a pound of pellets!

Most Reactions

Latest posts