Traumatic accident

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
While i was eating a plain biscuit ( with no added sugars)
Sky came to me wanting to eat the biscuit so I let her eat with me then tofu flew to me tofu just started eating when she opened her mouth very wide and kept it open like her mouth froze (for a moment I thought her jaw dropped)( it was not panting because she was not moving her mouth just open very wide and frozen not moving at all) and then I looked at her eyes and then realized there was a yellow thing in it ( i think the biscuit crusts went in her eye) just a few moments after that she started to try and get it out she was rubbing with her feet near the eye I was trying to stop her because if she rubbed her eye she would injure her eye then I put here on the cage rushed to get a towel and a tissue to get the biscuit crust out of her eye but when I came back I looked at her eye she managed to get it out

She was traumatized by what happened and was panting but fortunately after thousands of treats and love she eventually calmed down.

What happened was just fast everything that happened was just boof!!! Like it happened within a few seconds it was really traumatizing for me and her but thank gosh she is okay now at that moment I just had this mindset I don't want to lose her and so I was just flash i thought quickly about what to do did everything quickly but thanks gosh she is ok now

Now for the questions, I wonder why she opened her mouth wide and it was just frozen. Her beak or mouth wasn't moving and her tongue wasn't moving, just frozen do you know why?
Of course, it's not frozen now anymore

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
While i was eating a plain biscuit ( with no added sugars)
Sky came to me wanting to eat the biscuit so I let her eat with me then tofu flew to me tofu just started eating when she opened her mouth very wide and kept it open like her mouth froze (for a moment I thought her jaw dropped)( it was not panting because she was not moving her mouth just open very wide and frozen not moving at all) and then I looked at her eyes and then realized there was a yellow thing in it ( i think the biscuit crusts went in her eye) just a few moments after that she started to try and get it out she was rubbing with her feet near the eye I was trying to stop her because if she rubbed her eye she would injure her eye then I put here on the cage rushed to get a towel and a tissue to get the biscuit crust out of her eye but when I came back I looked at her eye she managed to get it out

She was traumatized by what happened and was panting but fortunately after thousands of treats and love she eventually calmed down.

What happened was just fast everything that happened was just boof!!! Like it happened within a few seconds it was really traumatizing for me and her but thank gosh she is okay now at that moment I just had this mindset I don't want to lose her and so I was just flash i thought quickly about what to do did everything quickly but thanks gosh she is ok now

Now for the questions, I wonder why she opened her mouth wide and it was just frozen. Her beak or mouth wasn't moving and her tongue wasn't moving, just frozen do you know why?
MAybe she choked? Even so, it's not good to give budgies whatever you're eating.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think she was in shock. Poor girl, I"m glad she's better! I think you were very scared as well, sending hugs to both of you!

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
maybe but i dont think so her mouth was only frozen for a few seconds i t

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I think she was in shock. Poor girl, I"m glad she's better! I think you were very scared as well, sending hugs to both of you!
ty but this happened not after she got it out of her eye it was before she rubbed beside her eyes
so how would she be in shock before that

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
yaa your right

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It sounds like a crop adjustment.
I don’t know if Budgies do that but my Tiels and Amazons do.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
maybe but i never seen her do that it was just so traumatizing

KingTiel

Jan 27, 2023
Australia
Parrots
White Faced Cockatiel
Not too sure if your little one ever has small bottle spray showers. If Snowie ever gets something in his eyes (Feathers, bark, food) i simply spray a bit of water on his face lightly and it comes right out. Snowie loves water though so make sure your bird is ok with it. Never get too much water into the nostrils and always try to be calm, parrots know when their owner is stressed.
Another tip which is off topic, when something is lightly lodged in snowies nostrils i lightly dampen the end of a toothpick so its a little softer than dry wood (not too wet or it can splinter off) and i calmly towel restrain him and very carefully dig it out. He feels so much better after that.
You probably do this, just wanted to share

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Thank you so much for the info!!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She will be fine. If you need to rinse a budgies eye you should use saline solution for contact lenses without preservatives or a human eye wash solution. Plain water can burn.

Most Reactions

Latest posts