TRAVEL CAGE, types & size's ?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I just bought it.

It's not a handle,... bummer. I thought it would make carrying the cage very easy.

I'm very surprised they don't come with one, just like with dog & cat carriers ! Guess I'll make one for it.

NO!! There are no screws or bolts or anything, the pieces fit together by having shafts and rods fit into each other. The top of the cage would come off if you tried to carry it using any kind of handle attached to the top, as it slides into the sides at the corners. Like I said, it's meant to be a cage, not a carrier. It's supposed to be set up at the location but not to transport the bird in, for when you go somewhere for an extended stay, like you rent a beach house for a week kind of thing. We carry ours from the bottom.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I just bought it.

It's not a handle,... bummer. I thought it would make carrying the cage very easy.

I'm very surprised they don't come with one, just like with dog & cat carriers ! Guess I'll make one for it.

I carry mine by the handle to move it from one place to the other and it seems fine . In the description it states it's a perch handle so I assumed it was okay to carry it by it.

I think you will be really happy with it : )

I didn't see that in the instructions, and I don't feel comfortable using it as a handle. Then again, I'm not using it as a carrier, only as a cage.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
"Midwest Poquito Avian Hotel.
Negatives:
It is heavy, the rope perch is junk, I think the "powder coat" paint job is (IMHO) junk as it has plenty drips."

I suspect you realize it's painted and not powder coat. Powder coat doesn't drip, as the (dry) powder adheres electrostatically and uniformly until it is heat cured.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
"Midwest Poquito Avian Hotel.
Negatives:
It is heavy, the rope perch is junk, I think the "powder coat" paint job is (IMHO) junk as it has plenty drips."

I suspect you realize it's painted and not powder coat. Powder coat doesn't drip, as the (dry) powder adheres electrostatically and uniformly until it is heat cured.

Yes, That is why I commented on it. Manufactur website stated it was powder coated. Needless to say I was very un-happy with the paint job.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
The Paint is zinc and lead free.... I was not expecting a powder coated cage because the description I read about it stated a ruby or platinum finish ,so I assumed it was painted. My TAG sleeps in it every nite and the paint job on mine looks great and is holding up well. I take him outside in it too and he really seems to enjoy it . Also , the perch / handle on mine does not come off easy at all .in fact I really have to work at it to get it off .

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
If these from Kings Cages weren't so much, $118, I would buy one as I have a large cage from them and the quality is top of the class. The purpose handle looks strong too.

Carriers and Travel Cages for Birds - DISCOUNTED!

icon-img-kings_bronze.jpg

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
One day I will start keeping track of all the money I spend on Rosie. Or, maybe I should not do this. I was balancing check book last week and noticed all the money spent for 2 months and felt sick. I must slow down. It is like an addiction to keep on getting bird stuff.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Well,...I balanced mine and I'm not worried about outcome, as I don't spoil Shelby like you so.

Lets see,......$800 Kings Cage (which she uses 1/4 of it) one outdoor cage, two play stands, enough of different food's for a year, and so many toys that Santa is jealous. Na,....she's not spoiled ! lol :D

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Last edited:
OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Well,....I got mixed up on the size of the Kings Cage.

I thought it was the larger one for $118, but it not and it's only 12" x 14" !

The larger cage is 17" x 19" is $214
So, I wil not be buying either.

Wayfair has this folding cage for $70 and free shipping that I ordered yesterday before, seeing Kathy's. (eek) !
If I don't like it, I'll send it back.
19 x 19 x 18

The one review says he, " wish it had more fasteners for locking sides".
But, I could use a few zip ties for more security if needed.

What do you guys think ?

A&E Cage Co. Folding Travel Carrier | Wayfair

Folding+Travel+Carrier.jpg

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Forrest just got his new sleep cage. A real breeze to put together.
I think he likes it. Just have to get a hidey hut. Now when it hails, (he is in a room with a skylight and we had hail the other night) he can sleep by Mommy's bed. Or if we have fires again this year he will have a great cage in case of evacuation.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts