travel cage

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
I might be getting two amazons soon (not that soon but definitely in the future) and have been looking for a good travel cage for them for ages!
I need one for the car for vet visits, and just general trips.
I looked at the Pak o bird but they are just way to expensive for me! I live in India so it would have to be shipped there which costs around 60 pounds on top of the 300 pound backpack!
I think i would rather a wire cage than a backpack. But i can't find any that will suit birds in India. Most have guillotine stye doors and the ones that don't, have doors that are too small. The only thing i can find that will be big enough for amazons (i will get two if that is a better idea then putting them both in the same travel cage) are dog cages, but i worry that the bars are too far apart.
i am also looking for a cage that we could take with us on trips that they could sleep in that is bigger then their travel cage (that would fold up). We may be getting a house in the hills and would love to take them with us sometimes (it is a 6 hour drive though, would this be too hard?)
any ideas on what i should do? (i know most people her won't live in india but i though i would ask) i could make one maybe?
sorry this is so long! i tend to write a lot about things that you can say in a few sentences!
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 10.03.02.png

this is an example of one of the cages you can get when you search for 'bird cage' on amazon. the ones that the amazons will have at home will be muchh bigger.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe Pak-o-bird really is the very best travel cage, despite it being expensive. It will last the lifetime of your parrots, and they can live 50-60 years. If not, make sure the one you get has adequate ventilation ( some all plastic cages do not, especially the ones with clear panels, which will roast your birds if left in the sun). FOr long trips, make sure the cage comes with food and water bowls, and allows a few different size perches to be used. Cages meant for parakeets are not going to last long if used for Amazons, they will just snap the welds with their much stronger beak.

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
I will second that Celltei packs are probably worth the purchase. Cages are just an unavoidable upfront cost of owning a bird, and I doubt anyone here would recommend saving a marginal amount of money by getting an inferior product. Case in point, I recently purchased an Avian Adventures travel cage as it was half the cost of the Prevue travel cage I preferred. Some people here like Avian Adventure cages, but I was not impressed; besides being made in China, it was ten pounds heavier than the Prevue model of nearly identical proportions - ten pounds! The Prevue cage also had seatbelt clamps. It was twice the cost but worth the money, and cages will last for decades with proper care.

I am also worried about getting two Amazons, particularly as it seems you are new to parrots - even if you are not, most owners don't really know what they're doing. Amazons are some of the most popular birds in the world... surrendered to shelters. If I were in the Subcontinent, I really wouldn't bother getting anything other than a rose-ringed or ringneck parakeet, which is a much more manageable bird, or any of the other birds of the genus Psittacula. Also, consider ethical concerns when there is a strong chance you are getting an illegally trafficked bird by purchasing an Amazon in India. Most trafficked birds die in international transport, whereas purchasing a wild-caught specimen native and abundant to your country carries a much lower ethical cost. You could even work on feeding and taming the birds yourself. Also if you do get a bird, treat it right with a big cage with lots of toys and a bowl of Harrison's Bird Foods. Wa salam.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
THe Pak-o-bird really is the very best travel cage, despite it being expensive. It will last the lifetime of your parrots, and they can live 50-60 years. If not, make sure the one you get has adequate ventilation ( some all plastic cages do not, especially the ones with clear panels, which will roast your birds if left in the sun). FOr long trips, make sure the cage comes with food and water bowls, and allows a few different size perches to be used. Cages meant for parakeets are not going to last long if used for Amazons, they will just snap the welds with their much stronger beak.
ok i will definitely start saving up for them. would a dog cage be ok until then though? i just don't think i can buy the pack o bird backpacks right now because they are so expensive. if i could find one made out of a safe metal would it be ok? or are the bars just too far apart (i have seen macaw owners use them but they are quite a bit larger than amazons so maybe it only works for them)

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
ok i will definitely start saving up for them. would a dog cage be ok until then though? i just don't think i can buy the pack o bird backpacks right now because they are so expensive. if i could find one made out of a safe metal would it be ok? or are the bars just too far apart (i have seen macaw owners use them but they are quite a bit larger than amazons so maybe it only works for them)

Sahib, Sahiba, I do not think you are hearing me about avoiding getting two Amazons. I do not have a strong sense that you understand your decision. Please, please get a ringneck instead. It will make your life much easier in finding appropriately-sized cages and they are wonderful birds. People get Amazons for their mimicking ability. People also dispose of Amazons for their mimicking ability. They are loud birds that will irritate you and your neighbours and cause complaints. Friends and family will desert you. You will be forced to wander and roam the darkest corners of the Earth, and you are worried about a travel cage?

People use dog crates for macaws because there are few options otherwise and dog crates are cheap and easy to adapt with a screwdriver.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
I will second that Celltei packs are probably worth the purchase. Cages are just an unavoidable upfront cost of owning a bird, and I doubt anyone here would recommend saving a marginal amount of money by getting an inferior product. Case in point, I recently purchased an Avian Adventures travel cage as it was half the cost of the Prevue travel cage I preferred. Some people here like Avian Adventure cages, but I was not impressed; besides being made in China, it was ten pounds heavier than the Prevue model of nearly identical proportions - ten pounds! The Prevue cage also had seatbelt clamps. It was twice the cost but worth the money, and cages will last for decades with proper care.

I am also worried about getting two Amazons, particularly as it seems you are new to parrots - even if you are not, most owners don't really know what they're doing. Amazons are some of the most popular birds in the world... surrendered to shelters. If I were in the Subcontinent, I really wouldn't bother getting anything other than a rose-ringed or ringneck parakeet, which is a much more manageable bird, or any of the other birds of the genus Psittacula. Also, consider ethical concerns when there is a strong chance you are getting an illegally trafficked bird by purchasing an Amazon in India. Most trafficked birds die in international transport, whereas purchasing a wild-caught specimen native and abundant to your country carries a much lower ethical cost. You could even work on feeding and taming the birds yourself. Also if you do get a bird, treat it right with a big cage with lots of toys and a bowl of Harrison's Bird Foods. Wa salam.
ok i will find a way to get the pak o bird! i definitely want to get the best for my birds even if it is expensive (although i may have to save up for a bit!)

I have actually had parrots before. But i did not care for them well. and as you said i was one of those people who didn't know a thing. I made so many mistakes and i really hate to say that they died because of it. I feel guilty every day and they deserved a much longer life. I have been learning about parrots for months, almost a year, and although i know i will always be learning, i know that i have enough knowledge to take care of my birds properly. I have the support of a mentor who is very experienced with birds and have learnt from lots of parrot owners and i know how hard it is to look after birds. I realise it is like having children and is such a big life decision, but i know i want to have parrots in my life.

i definitely understand what you mean regarding smuggled in birds! i know for sure that there are thousands that are smuggled into india. I came across a breeder who has a blue cheeked amazon and a cuban amazon which are both extremely rare and i can only imagine they have been smuggled in! I am staying away from breeders like that. i have found a two year old amazon who was actually adopted by the owner from a guru. i don't know if she was smuggled in but i know i am not getting her from the breeder who did smuggle her in. i don't know if that makes it any better. I think majority of the ring neck parakeets are wild caught in india, and i think it is actually illegal to own one as a pet there. And i want amazons because i love their personalities and i really don't mind about how much extra work they are! i wont be getting an unweaned bird as i know i could make many mistakes when they are that young that could kill them.

i will definitely get them good cages! i have found cages that are 4.3*3.4*6 ft which is large enough for an amazon (i will be getting two for them not just one) and i also have an outdoor aviary. i have bought a giant haul of foraging toys from the uk which i am bringing back to india next week (my gosh are they heavy!) and i have decided to feed them tropican pellets as they are the best i can find in india and are pretty good in general. I will feed them chop with sprouts, grains, lots of vegetables, and fruit.

thank you though, i know that there are many people who don't care for their birds well and you don't want that to happen.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Sahib, Sahiba, I do not think you are hearing me about avoiding getting two Amazons. I do not have a strong sense that you understand your decision. Please, please get a ringneck instead. It will make your life much easier in finding appropriately-sized cages and they are wonderful birds. People get Amazons for their mimicking ability. People also dispose of Amazons for their mimicking ability. They are loud birds that will irritate you and your neighbours and cause complaints. Friends and family will desert you. You will be forced to wander and roam the darkest corners of the Earth, and you are worried about a travel cage?

People use dog crates for macaws because there are few options otherwise and dog crates are cheap and easy to adapt with a screwdriver.
i hear you but i know i want amazons. i have seen them before and been with them before. i definitely know how loud they can be! but this won't be a problem for me and we live where they won't bother the neighbours .
i don't care if they talk or not. thats not what matters to me and thats not why i wan't an amazon or a parrot in fact. they make me happy, not just looking at them but i love looking after them too and all the work will be worth it .

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As far as what species, thats up to you! If you have your heart set on an amazon, getting a different type will always bug you. SO get your Amazon, but if possible, let the amazon pick you, they are better at it then we are, and if you do find one that picks you, well thats going to be a relationship to treasure.

As far as an amazon over a ring neck, a few things are certain. A bigger bird will have a bigger bite. A bigger bird will eat more. A bigger bird will be able to destroy larger ( and more expensive) toys, need a bigger cage. But not nesessarily louder - thats an individual trait. My 'zon is loud for about 15-20 minutes a day at dinner time. Other then that he sings, talks and makes funny sounds. Some Amazons are going to be more vocal, some about the same and some very quiet ( for a parrot).

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
As far as what species, thats up to you! If you have your heart set on an amazon, getting a different type will always bug you. SO get your Amazon, but if possible, let the amazon pick you, they are better at it then we are, and if you do find one that picks you, well thats going to be a relationship to treasure.

As far as an amazon over a ring neck, a few things are certain. A bigger bird will have a bigger bite. A bigger bird will eat more. A bigger bird will be able to destroy larger ( and more expensive) toys, need a bigger cage. But not nesessarily louder - thats an individual trait. My 'zon is loud for about 15-20 minutes a day at dinner time. Other then that he sings, talks and makes funny sounds. Some Amazons are going to be more vocal, some about the same and some very quiet ( for a parrot).
thank you.
I agree that a bigger bird will be harder in certain aspects but i think i will be ok with it. I heard that amazons like to have their screaming sessions in the morning an the afternoon but i guess that isn't true for all of them. i will go see what that orange wing i was talking about is like and maybe she will choose me like you said, it would certainly be amazing if she did.
thanks for your help

Most Reactions

Latest posts