Traveling with a bird

nikki_tokaryev

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure.
Hello friends!
I'm Nikki🙌🏼
I am in the process of planning the transportation of my two beloved parrots (Pyrrhura molinae) via excess baggage from San Francisco to Europe and I would greatly appreciate your assistance in understanding the specific documentation requirements.
I’ve contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they confirmed that these parrots can be transported and advised us to contact the animal transportation service, but we want to transport them ourselves.
We need a list of documents that need to be prepared, and they did not help us with this.
I would greatly appreciate any advice, contacts or resources you can provide.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 20

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello friends!
I'm Nikki🙌🏼
I am in the process of planning the transportation of my two beloved parrots (Pyrrhura molinae) via excess baggage from San Francisco to Europe and I would greatly appreciate your assistance in understanding the specific documentation requirements.
I’ve contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they confirmed that these parrots can be transported and advised us to contact the animal transportation service, but we want to transport them ourselves.
We need a list of documents that need to be prepared, and they did not help us with this.
Thank you!

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience that i can give you in terms of transporting a bird to Europe, but I do recall the experience of another member who took her GCC to Japan. Import requirements into Europe will no doubt differ, and differ yet again depending on which country in Europe is your final destination, and one imagines that you'll need to deal with customs/quarantine officials at both origin and destination prior to departure. But this person's experience might give you some idea of what to expect, and it may also help to attract the attention of someone who has actually undertaken the type of trip that you're contemplating.

Wishing you the very best of luck and success with your journey!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I just want to point out that those GCCs ARE ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! Ok I'm done.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
NP just pointing out the obvious

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi. I’m in Europe though I got Ruby here, I know that GCCs are ok-to-be-pets parrot. Do you know that air Europa allows up to three pet in a small sized cabin with you? I don’t know the exact laws and rules but, if you have any questions, just ask. BTW, your GCCs are soooooooooo cute!

OP
nikki_tokaryev

nikki_tokaryev

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure.
Hi. I’m in Europe though I got Ruby here, I know that GCCs are ok-to-be-pets parrot. Do you know that air Europa allows up to three pet in a small sized cabin with you? I don’t know the exact laws and rules but, if you have any questions, just ask. BTW, your GCCs are soooooooooo cute!
Thank you:) I appreciate it!

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello friends!
I'm Nikki🙌🏼
Thank you!
Hello
Yes I am intrested in taking my Eclectus (Moses) to our home in Europe (Lithuania). I would suspect all the EU countries are the same. I was told it was very very difficult to take a bird into the EU. However, maybe parrots are an exception since they are more exotic and special type of family bird..... please let me know how it turns out. Someone posted you may be able to have them in the main flight cabin, I would think so as I use a back pack to take Moses for a walk:)
Thank you and God Bless
Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_080546.jpg
    IMG_20191025_080546.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
nikki_tokaryev

nikki_tokaryev

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure.
Hello
Yes I am intrested in taking my Eclectus (Moses) to our home in Europe (Lithuania). I would suspect all the EU countries are the same. I was told it was very very difficult to take a bird into the EU. However, maybe parrots are an exception since they are more exotic and special type of family bird..... please let me know how it turns out. Someone posted you may be able to have them in the main flight cabin, I would think so as I use a backpack to take Moses for a walk:)
Thank you and God Bless
Larry
Hello!
I understand your enthusiasm to bring Moses to Europe! While there are general EU regulations for pet travel, it's important to check specific requirements for Lithuania, as they might have additional rules.
As for cabin travel, some airlines do allow small pets in the main flight cabin, but it can vary by airline and even by the size and type of the pet. Be sure to contact your chosen airline and verify their policies regarding traveling with birds in the cabin.
I will keep you updated on my progress in obtaining documents.
Your bird is adorable 🌸

Wishing you a smooth journey with Moses!

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hello!
I understand your enthusiasm to bring Moses to Europe! While there are general EU regulations for pet travel, it's important to check specific requirements for Lithuania, as they might have additional rules.
As for cabin travel, some airlines do allow small pets in the main flight cabin, but it can vary by airline and even by the size and type of the pet. Be sure to contact your chosen airline and verify their policies regarding traveling with birds in the cabin.
I will keep you updated on my progress in obtaining documents.
Your bird is adorable 🌸

Wishing you a smooth journey with Moses!
Hello and Thank you for your reply, Lithuania belongs to the European Union (EU) so they adhere the same rules and actually Lithuania may even be less strict. I took my German Shepherd to Lithuania with all the required documents and they never even looked at them and my wife found Duchess in the travel container going around on the carousel at the airport:)))) returning to Miami i was looking for Duchess in the container and i turned around and there she was in the container as someone from baggage just dropped her off near the baggage discharge chute:)))

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO several entities you want to contact and talk with an actual person.

#1 is the airline you intend to use. Every airline has its own regualtion and rules for travel with animals. Some allow in cabin, most do not, which means your parrots are going to be in the cargo portion of the plane, which may or may not be heated or pressurized - for international travel thats key as flights go way way up there, like to 35,000 ft and aint much heat or air up there.

#2 is the country you intend to go to, to find out the quarantine restrictions they may have, medical proofs you might need, etc, etc. It will be frustrating as you plow thru the bureaucracy of the given country.

And keep up to date with both, as things change all the time with airline travel.

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
SO several entities you want to contact and talk with an actual person.

#1 is the airline you intend to use. Every airline has its own regualtion and rules for travel with animals. Some allow in cabin, most do not, which means your parrots are going to be in the cargo portion of the plane, which may or may not be heated or pressurized - for international travel thats key as flights go way way up there, like to 35,000 ft and aint much heat or air up there.

#2 is the country you intend to go to, to find out the quarantine restrictions they may have, medical proofs you might need, etc, etc. It will be frustrating as you plow thru the bureaucracy of the given country.

And keep up to date with both, as things change all the time with airline travel.
Hello and Thank you so much for the good advice
Larry aka azflcowboy

Most Reactions