Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Do you have regular check-ins with someone if you live alone?

For anyone who lives alone and doesn't have regular check-ins with family or friends, the following links may be something to think about. I have no connection with any of the companies, nor do I recommend one over the other. I stumbled across this on Reddit and it immediately resonated with me and I wanted to share. To be clear, I'm not speaking for ParrotForums, I'm sharing the info as a member:)

One of my budgies, Russell, came from a home where the owner had died and it was a week before anyone found him. This is Russell's story, in case you'd like to read it. (Trigger Warning: suicide)

If this sort of thing existed, or even made me decide to call my aunt every day at a predetermined time it would have saved her laying on her floor with a broken hip for a day and a half.

Whether someone decides to use a company like these, or just set up a time with someone to check in with each day, it could save not only their life but their birds as well. I just realized that if something happened here at home to Reg and I both, it would be several days before anyone found us. It's scary to think about.
I think I'll set something up with my daughter, just in case.

The site below has links to several different companies:

Best Free Check-In Apps for Seniors (or anyone) Living Alone

I'm including a link to each site here, as well as a short synopsis of each. They all can be found at the link above with the exception of "I'm still okay".

I'm still okay

From their Faqs:

After you sign up, you will receive a daily check-in email and each email contains a button that you simply click to confirm you are still doing well. Should you ever fail to click it, the system will automatically send an email to your contacts.

You get to customize who is contacted, what the message says, and also how often you want to receive your check-in email.

Iā€™m Still Okay email notifications are free and they will always remain free!

We do, however, plan to add an option soon for SMS notifications that will have a low monthly fee to cover our expenses.

We invested a few thousand dollars of our money to start this service and the running costs are about $100 per month.

You can support us by buying us coffee or lunch using a service called Ko-fi: Buy us a coffee with Ko-fi

If you think this service is a good idea, please consider buying us a cup of coffee to keep us going.

Snug Safety

From their "How Snug works" section:

Snug is the free daily check-in app for seniors who live alone. Snug checks in with you every day to confirm youā€™re okay and if there is no response, alerts your emergency contacts so you can quickly get help (and your pets will be taken care of too). Snug has been used by thousands of Americans for over 10 million check ins.

• Basic Plan (free): If you miss your daily check-in, Snug will send a text message to each of your emergency contacts with your last known location. It is up to them to reach out to you to make sure youā€™re ok. The basic version is 100% free and without ads.
  • Dispatch Plan ($9.99/mo or $99.99/yr): On the paid version of Snug, if you miss your check-in time, a Snug dispatcher will call your cell phone to ask if youā€™re alright. If you do not answer, they will call your emergency contacts to ask someone to check in on you. If the dispatcher is unable to get confirmation that someone will look in on you, they will request a wellness check. This is where a local authority such as the police, fire department or emergency medical services visit your last known location or home address.

Patronus - Personal Safety

(This is the only link I could find with info.)

Patronus is a FREE personal safety app. Patronus uses your phone's internet connection to let you "Panic" and alert friends and family via a notification in times of crisis. Each feature in Patronus has been designed keeping in mind multiple crisis scenarios to provide uninterrupted security while using minimal system resources.

Key Features:

ā€¢ AVAILABILITY OF OPTIONS: Trigger Panic by pressing a button in the app, by pressing a button from the notification bar, or automatically through one of the many features present in the app.

ā€¢ LOCATION MONITORING: Panic notification sent to your emergency contacts includes your last known location.

ā€¢ TRUE AND FAKE PASSCODE: The true passcode will disable security, whereas the fake passcode will cause the app to pretend to disable security while sending a Panic alert. The fake passcode can be entered if you are being forced to enter a passcode.

ā€¢ PANIC WITHOUT INTERNET: Panic would be triggered after a user-defined time period if the internet connection is lost.

ā€¢ COMMUTE DETECT: Patronus will automatically switch on security if it detects that you are in a vehicle!

ā€¢ DISASTER ALERTS (Ī²): Get notified of natural disasters near you.

ā€¢ IN CASE OF EMERGENCY (ICE): Patronus displays your information such as name and emergency contacts' details as a publicly viewable lock screen notification.

ā€¢ SECURITY COUNTDOWN: Set periodic check-ins while security is active. Failure to respond to these check-ins will result in a Panic trigger.

ā€¢ EMERGENCY CALL: Make an emergency call to your local authorities from the app when you or your emergency contacts go into panic mode.

ā€¢ AUTOPILOT: Once settings and timeouts have been set up, Patronus has been designed to run 24/7 with minimal user intervention.

ā€¢ PAIRS WITH ANDROID WEAR DEVICES (Ī²): Patronus comes with an optional embedded Android Wear component. Once installed on Android Wear, Patronus is able to provide additional security.

ā€¢ SILENT & OPTIMIZED: Patronus runs silently on your device, reducing battery drain and optimizing system resources.

Kitestring

Our service is easy to use and requires no special equipment. Simply sign up, choose your contacts, and set your check-in schedule. When itā€™s time to check in, youā€™ll receive a text message asking if youā€™re okay. Simply respond to let us know that youā€™re fine, or weā€™ll assume that something may be wrong and alert your designated contacts. If youā€™re ever in an emergency situation and canā€™t respond, weā€™ll send an alert immediately.
  • Going out: Whether youā€™re meeting up with a stranger or just taking a midnight stroll, give Kitestring a heads up.
  • Check in via SMS: Kitestring checks up on you with a simple text message. Reply to the message to check in.
  • Stay connected: If you donā€™t check in, Kitestring sends your emergency contacts a personalized alert message.
  • Nothing to download: And you donā€™t even need a smartphone.

bsafe

SOS Alarm
When the SOS alarm is activated, audio and video will automatically start to record.

Voice Activation
Simply activate the SOS alarm with your voice even if your cell phone is stowed away.

Live Streaming
Your guardians can see and hear everything that is happening in real time.

Recording
When the SOS alarm is activated, audio and video are automatically recording.

Follow Me
Your friends and family can join your journey virtually via live GPS-tracking.

Fake Call
Get your phone to call you and get out of unpleasant or threatening situations.

Guardians
You can add friends and family as guardians and get peace of mind wherever you are.

I'm Here
Use this feature to check-in and share your location with your selected guardians.

Timer Alarm
Define how long you want Bsafe to follow you, in case of an emergency.

*Basic version is free.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
This is super important - I think also having a friend do in person check ins is good too. There was that rescue lady here who got in over her head, stopped letting people visit and it turned out she didnā€™t overwinter her birds properly and they all died, and no one came to get her until she was on her deathbed also.

Besides, I always clean extra well when people come over, and then Iā€™m so relieved afterwards to have a sparkly clean house! Even though it only lasts like five minutes tops.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This is super important - I think also having a friend do in person check ins is good too. There was that rescue lady here who got in over her head, stopped letting people visit and it turned out she didnā€™t overwinter her birds properly and they all died, and no one came to get her until she was on her deathbed also.

Besides, I always clean extra well when people come over, and then Iā€™m so relieved afterwards to have a sparkly clean house! Even though it only lasts like five minutes tops.
Even when they are NOT living alone! It's such a sad dilemma. I have 88 year old parents who live 400 miles away in an independent living apartment in a full range services retirement community. Both are getting quite frail and though neither has significant dementia, neither has the common sense they had even five years ago. Money isn't an issue for them, but they can be painfully frugal to their own detriment.
They are both fall risks, Mom much moreso than Dad because she's in a wheelchair, but when Dad, who can walk without assistance, takes even a minor slip and ends up on the floor largely uninjured, it can take him hours of struggling to get up off the floor enough to get to the phone and call for help because their two "call for immediate assistance" buttons are tucked away in their dresser drawer instead of somewhere on their person! I dread the day Dad gets seriously injured in a fall and can't call to get help in time because neither wants to believe they need to wear their emergency call buttons at all times! Their facility also requires them to call a number in the morning before 10am every day to verify they are okay, but they frequently forget to call, forcing the staff to call or visit their apartment to make sure they're okay. Their failure to take necessary safely precautions is making me very nervous and I live too far away to be of any immediate help. I don't know what to do anymore. Help!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Even when they are NOT living alone! It's such a sad dilemma. I have 88 year old parents who live 400 miles away in an independent living apartment in a full range services retirement community. Both are getting quite frail and though neither has significant dementia, neither has the common sense they had even five years ago. Money isn't an issue for them, but they can be painfully frugal to their own detriment.
They are both fall risks, Mom much moreso than Dad because she's in a wheelchair, but when Dad, who can walk without assistance, takes even a minor slip and ends up on the floor largely uninjured, it can take him hours of struggling to get up off the floor enough to get to the phone and call for help because their two "call for immediate assistance" buttons are tucked away in their dresser drawer instead of somewhere on their person! I dread the day Dad gets seriously injured in a fall and can't call to get help in time because neither wants to believe they need to wear their emergency call buttons at all times! Their facility also requires them to call a number in the morning before 10am every day to verify they are okay, but they frequently forget to call, forcing the staff to call or visit their apartment to make sure they're okay. Their failure to take necessary safely precautions is making me very nervous and I live too far away to be of any immediate help. I don't know what to do anymore. Help!
I'm so sorry, I also moved away from my great aunts who raised me, and it was terrifying. Are they in an assisted living facility? Thank goodness there is staff to make sure they're okay if they don't call.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm so sorry, I also moved away from my great aunts who raised me, and it was terrifying. Are they in an assisted living facility? Thank goodness there is staff to make sure they're okay if they don't call.
It's independent living because my Dad is "still capable" of self care and caring for himself and Mom. They won't move to the assisted living section (stubborn) but each day Dad gets less and less able to handle all this, physically and cognitively. It's just a matter of time before they both fall while he's trying to help her and one or both are seriously injured. Nothing good happens when you get very elderly.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's independent living because my Dad is "still capable" of self care and caring for himself and Mom. They won't move to the assisted living section (stubborn) but each day Dad gets less and less able to handle all this, physically and cognitively. It's just a matter of time before they both fall while he's trying to help her and one or both are seriously injured. Nothing good happens when you get very elderly.
My sister lives 30 minutes from them and comes over at a moments notice but she doesn't know if there's a problem unless they tell her. And my folks are the type who hate causing drama and hate going to the hospital but they will go if need be. It's the stupid waiting-to-see-in-the-morning thing that's already led to one major stroke and many mini-strokes. If one of them has symptoms of a potential stroke they don't seem to understand the four hour rule of getting to the ER. They're liable to wait around until it's too late. I wish we could get them to understand how critical this is.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
My sister lives 30 minutes from them and comes over at a moments notice but she doesn't know if there's a problem unless they tell her. And my folks are the type who hate causing drama and hate going to the hospital but they will go if need be. It's the stupid waiting-to-see-in-the-morning thing that's already led to one major stroke and many mini-strokes. If one of them has symptoms of a potential stroke they don't seem to understand the four hour rule of getting to the ER. They're liable to wait around until it's too late. I wish we could get them to understand how critical this is.
What a difficult situation, with no good answers. I hope that your dad soon realizes that he can no longer do this by himself, he may feel as if it's his job to care for your mom and that he's letting her down if he admits he can no longer do it.
Hopefully that happens before something awful occurs.
I'm so sorry you and your sister are going through this, and your parents as well.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What a difficult situation, with no good answers. I hope that your dad soon realizes that he can no longer do this by himself, he may feel as if it's his job to care for your mom and that he's letting her down if he admits he can no longer do it.
Hopefully that happens before something awful occurs.
I'm so sorry you and your sister are going through this, and your parents as well.
Thank you for your kind words.

Most Reactions