Traveling

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
Hello all,

I'm curious as to what you all do when you travel. I know, I know, don't travel. My issue is I'm from the US and fell in love with a Canadian. So... I'd like to go back and visit my mom and family.

I'm pretty well bonded now with our scarlet macaw and I'm worried of losing that bond or hurting it. Am I silly? My husband came to visit me in the states and Mango disowned him and became mine. Mango hates him now, previously when I visited they were best buds.

I've considered:
-a pet sitter which I'll need regardless as I have a variety of other critters.
-a pc set up to video chat and talk to him daily lol
-taking him with me, driving, not flying(risks of infection/stress)

What do you do?
I honestly am tempted to to try to video chat thing even though it seems silly. He has a computer monitor already set up and watches Parrottv daily.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20230215_174912.jpg
    20230215_174912.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. WHat ever you do, do not try to cross the border with him, unless you get all the legal stuff 100% addressed. Just dont!

Second, if you leave him home, explain to Mango a few days in advance how many days you will be away. Use fingers, or any other props to show him physically how long it will be. THey DO understand. I used to go China for 2 weeks at a time, a few times a year. If I did not take the time to show Salty, the welcome home was rather cold and bitey. A golf ball rack is a super prop to use, as you can remove a ball per day, and Mango can see when you will be back.

OP
MomofMango

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
Hi. WHat ever you do, do not try to cross the border with him, unless you get all the legal stuff 100% addressed. Just dont!

Second, if you leave him home, explain to Mango a few days in advance how many days you will be away. Use fingers, or any other props to show him physically how long it will be. THey DO understand. I used to go China for 2 weeks at a time, a few times a year. If I did not take the time to show Salty, the welcome home was rather cold and bitey. A golf ball rack is a super prop to use, as you can remove a ball per day, and Mango can see when you will be back.
100% all the legality stuff is no issue, and we were thinking of getting a smaller RV so it would be more like a home inside. I'm just paranoid about exposing him to things he wouldn't normally get exposed to, he will have to get a vet exam at the border...how many birds went through the same area and weren't well? Not to mention stress, air changes, dust, who knows what else can happen on the road etc!

That golf ball idea is a killer one and I'll definitely do something like that. I'm glad to know that you were able to travel but hopefully to reconcile your relationship.

I appreciate your response. Thank you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello all,

I'm curious as to what you all do when you travel. I know, I know, don't travel. My issue is I'm from the US and fell in love with a Canadian. So... I'd like to go back and visit my mom and family.

I'm pretty well bonded now with our scarlet macaw and I'm worried of losing that bond or hurting it. Am I silly? My husband came to visit me in the states and Mango disowned him and became mine. Mango hates him now, previously when I visited they were best buds.

I've considered:
-a pet sitter which I'll need regardless as I have a variety of other critters.
-a pc set up to video chat and talk to him daily lol
-taking him with me, driving, not flying(risks of infection/stress)

What do you do?
I honestly am tempted to to try to video chat thing even though it seems silly. He has a computer monitor already set up and watches Parrottv daily.

Thank you so much!
I would be very nervous about taking this trip, too. With all the stress you and your macaw would have to go through to visit your Mom in the US, have you considered just paying your Mom's expenses to visit you instead? How far from the US- Canada border do you live and how far from the border do you need to travel?
Perhaps a really nice Canada's side border town hotel-motel would be a nice place for you two to meet up for a visit without you having to cross the border and potentially expose her to diseases. It may not be an option for your Mom. I'm just making a suggestion.

OP
MomofMango

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
I would be very nervous about taking this trip, too. With all the stress you and your macaw would have to go through to visit your Mom in the US, have you considered just paying your Mom's expenses to visit you instead? How far from the US- Canada border do you live and how far from the border do you need to travel?
Perhaps a really nice Canada's side border town hotel-motel would be a nice place for you two to meet up for a visit without you having to cross the border and potentially expose her to diseases. It may not be an option for your Mom. I'm just making a suggestion.
this is a great suggestion and she does plan on visiting at some point. I just would like to see my brother and sister's family too. I also secretly want to show my husband what the Carolinas are really like so maybe we could move down South. It's quite a ways from where we are in Alberta to my home in North Carolina, but we made the drive before when I moved up here with a dog, 2 cats and turtle :D
A bird adds a whole other level though.

I think you're right, bringing him isn't the move. At least not at this current time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
this is a great suggestion and she does plan on visiting at some point. I just would like to see my brother and sister's family too. I also secretly want to show my husband what the Carolinas are really like so maybe we could move down South. It's quite a ways from where we are in Alberta to my home in North Carolina, but we made the drive before when I moved up here with a dog, 2 cats and turtle :D
A bird adds a whole other level though.

I think you're right, bringing him isn't the move. At least not at this current time.
The Carolinas are a LONG way from Alberta so I see your problem! Too bad you can't get them all to come for a visit. It would be awful if your bird got confiscated at the border but I personally wouldn't trust many people to take proper care of such a sensitive bird! Who knows how the border people would feel about your turtle- I just LOVE turtles! Personally, having lived in Los Angeles, South Carolina and Maine I'll take Maine any day of the week and twice on Sundays! Seeing family a few times a year is enough most of the time for the trade off.

OP
MomofMango

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
The Carolinas are a LONG way from Alberta so I see your problem! Too bad you can't get them all to come for a visit. It would be awful if your bird got confiscated at the border but I personally wouldn't trust many people to take proper care of such a sensitive bird! Who knows how the border people would feel about your turtle- I just LOVE turtles! Personally, having lived in Los Angeles, South Carolina and Maine I'll take Maine any day of the week and twice on Sundays! Seeing family a few times a year is enough most of the time for the trade off.
I love Maine too! I love that side of Canada too! I miss the East, the Rockies are nice, but nothing like Appalachia mountains, but I'm still learning to love the jagged mountains. I miss all the different types of trees and plants.

My turtle can go through the border as long as we have proper import permits, but yeah the border thought I was a bit crazy, but I'm a registered vet tech....and maybe i'm a little crazy about animals. :)

I think that is a great idea, maybe plan for a big family Christmas or Summer vacation here this year or next year. I appreciate you giving me ideas!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
We drive from Jersey to Florida with our RL amazon and B&G macaw a couple of times a year and there is nothing like the bonding adventure and keeping the flock together.

It's rare for me, because i've turned into a recluse, but I also don't hate the idea of leaving the birds to disrupt their routine, I mean I'm not going to be there for them forever. How hard is it going to be on my little sweetie birdi if I am there day in and day out and then one day i'm not?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have gotten great advice in the many Posts provided.

I am going to look specifically about the Boarders and crossing with a Parrot (Macaw).

- Prior to COVID, you needed to have an Health Document from a Certified Avian Vet, which on the date it is issued was only good for 30 days! Than returning, requires the same, if returning outside of those 30 days..

- A couple of things have come to add more mud to the requirements and that is Post COVID, which have several requires that are still fluid. And Current concerns regarding Bird Flu, which has developed Hot Spots (areas where it has over Wintered (2022 /2023)). With Spring Migrations coming and the existing Hot Spots, especially on the USA side. it is very possible that the Boarders in North America could be closed to All Avian Crossings, at any time and without notice.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You have gotten great advice in the many Posts provided.

I am going to look specifically about the Boarders and crossing with a Parrot (Macaw).

- Prior to COVID, you needed to have an Health Document from a Certified Avian Vet, which on the date it is issued was only good for 30 days! Than returning, requires the same, if returning outside of those 30 days..

- A couple of things have come to add more mud to the requirements and that is Post COVID, which have several requires that are still fluid. And Current concerns regarding Bird Flu, which has developed Hot Spots (areas where it has over Wintered (2022 /2023)). With Spring Migrations coming and the existing Hot Spots, especially on the USA side. it is very possible that the Boarders in North America could be closed to All Avian Crossings, at any time and without notice.
Yikes!

Most Reactions

Latest posts