Trimming Parrot Nail’s Help

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi everyone, I’m not sure if others trim their parrots nails. I have ran into some issues with Nico’s nails. It appears like his nails were overgrown for years from what I gathered to make this happen, but the quick is also grown out. Is there a way to handle this situation without hitting the quick? Has anyone tried to take a little off at a time? Does it recede?

With avian vets being hard to come across I had my vet train me how to trim my parrots nails. I know how to do the angle, and everything. It just makes me nervous due to the quick issue.

Any advice, or help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Dr Anees

May 26, 2023
Hi everyone, I’m not sure if others trim their parrots nails. I have ran into some issues with Nico’s nails. It appears like his nails were overgrown for years from what I gathered to make this happen, but the quick is also grown out. Is there a way to handle this situation without hitting the quick? Has anyone tried to take a little off at a time? Does it recede?

With avian vets being hard to come across I had my vet train me how to trim my parrots nails. I know how to do the angle, and everything. It just makes me nervous due to the quick issue.

Any advice, or help is appreciated. Thank you so much.
Hy Vet here. I hope you are doing well. Firstly, you have to prepare yourself for this task. If you do not have confidence, I would not recommend you trim your parrot's nails. Parrots do not like to be held for nail trimming. There is a high chance that you may overcut your parrot nail. But if you are sure you can trim your parrot nail then I would advise you to do it quickly. Just trim the tip of the nails. You don't have to cut a big portion. Have a styptic powder ready in case of bleeding. Finally, you can use a nail file from time to time to stop your parrot's nails from overgrowing. Provide wood perches that will help wear down your parrot's nails.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Always better to have the Vet trim as they have the knowledge and supplies on hand if something goes wrong. Plus it is just better for them to be the Bad guys and you saving your Parrot from those terrible people.

To your question, yes! A little at a time as that will allow the quick to recede. General, needs three to four weeks.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Always better to have the Vet trim as they have the knowledge and supplies on hand if something goes wrong. Plus it is just better for them to be the Bad guys and you saving your Parrot from those terrible people.

To your question, yes! A little at a time as that will allow the quick to recede. General, needs three to four weeks.
Thank you, it’s been rough. I have to drive 1.5 hours to see a vet for Nico. She needs days off, and vacations. Most vets in my area decline to see birds. It’s been incredibly challenging! I’ve learned to ask 101 questions when Nico’s avian vet is available to prepare myself if she’s ever gone. I have no one else.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Hy Vet here. I hope you are doing well. Firstly, you have to prepare yourself for this task. If you do not have confidence, I would not recommend you trim your parrot's nails. Parrots do not like to be held for nail trimming. There is a high chance that you may overcut your parrot nail. But if you are sure you can trim your parrot nail then I would advise you to do it quickly. Just trim the tip of the nails. You don't have to cut a big portion. Have a styptic powder ready in case of bleeding. Finally, you can use a nail file from time to time to stop your parrot's nails from overgrowing. Provide wood perches that will help wear down your parrot's nails.
Thank you. I already bought the styptic powder. I trimmed Nico’s nails today. Only a few centimeters. I was so worried about hitting his quick. It was successful, and I didn’t hit the quick. You were correct Nico definitely didn’t want to be toweled to have his nails trimmed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts