trimming wings

BlueFrontOwner

Jul 29, 2013
I see your point. How much difference does clipping the wings make? I remember I had my birds wings clipped and he flew from the front of my house, across the street into a tree. Probably about 50-100 feet and his wings were clipped.

I assume even with them clipped they can still fly away if the conditions are right?

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
How much your bird can fly depends upon the extent of the wing clipping. My DYH has a very gentle clip now (after his outdoor adventure). We clipped just his outermost 5 primary flight feathers. He can still fly around the house, but he has to work a LOT harder to do it, and he usually glides to a landing after a while. He can't get as much distance or lift. Outside the house, though, wind could factor in, and it could be a whole different story. I'd never take him outside without a harness on. My OWA came to me with an incredibly aggressive clip. All of his primary flights are removed and some of the secondary (coverts). He cannot fly AT ALL and if he falls, he can't save himself. I definitely don't recommend a clip like that either.

Most Reactions