Trouble in paradise...?

swttiel1

New member
Joined
Aug 12, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
I have trouble with my attacking green chrek conur3
 
I had this same problem with Quasar, my older green cheek conure. He earned the nickname Mosquito for his ability to draw blood. When I adopted him, he would bite even if I switched out the food bowls. He's better now, but still nippy as heck.

What helped in my case was regularly changing toys and perches, 12 hours of birdy sleep, and a companion. I can't lean up against the cage still, or I get nibbled to death. Also, long sleeves are a Godsend.
 
It's distressing because I love him sooooo much!!!!🥲
 
He's really bonded with my husband.
 
He's really bonded with my husband.
Have you tried time outs/shunning? As soon as your bird bites, put them down somewhere safe (Not the cage, or they learn to bite when they want to go back to the cage) and ignore them for a minute.
 
When he's biting at me/on me I can't get him off enough to put him in time outs. My husband usually rescues me by getting him to come to him on his finger. His biting, however, is vicious and he's biting my neck & ears horribly but gets chummy in the mornings when I feed him and water him. Had him for 15 years so far and this behavior has started up within the past few years. Quite distressing for me. 🤔
 
Is he trained to step up on a small, short stick that resembles his perch? Do so. Do not allowing him to get on your body. Place a stick in other hand. Make it a climbing game up and down. It will be a distraction up and down. Give verbal praise. Return to cage, standing area or whatever. Also avoid having your husband in visual or hearing range during this time. If aggressive put him in time out as other articles suggest. Allowing husband to handle him with negative behavior is not unlike putting bird back in cage. He sees it as a reward.
 
Back
Top Bottom