Trying to tame a Green cheek conure

KiwiCRO

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Green cheek conure
So my family has a green cheek conure for like 2 years now. I wasn't home in that period because work. I come few times per year and I remember he was a really nuisance, didn't like anyone, screamed and just tried to not get in the cage. After 2 years I'm finally back home and I can tell he changed. He's a bit chubbier now and acts better. I guess he just got over puberty or just got better along people, afterall its been 2 years that he's here. Now he's not all that perfect, I'm not expecting a parrot to be a robot or to be as smart as a human but what I saw at the breeder, they act much different. He often screams and calls for someone when they wake up or enter the room, he really likes to be around people and follows house members but is scared alot of fast movements and new things/people. He has few toys but only plays with the mirror one and the often likes to tap on mirrors and then proceed to call someone to join him. He likes to dance and copy movements and watch other housemembers doing stuff. He really likes attention and needs one but he's scared of hands, when' hes comfortable he lands on your shoulder or gets on your hand but thats rarely. He ussually just steals food and then run away, if you try to catch him he'll either run from you or bite you. He mostly just follows everyone around and taps on mirrors or picture frame, which he also used to chew. I guess he did all that because of pure boredom. He likes to communicate and play with people but is scared. Right now he lives an anarchist type of life. Do they all act like? How can I get him to bond better with me, the toys are really expensive in my country and there are not alot of shops, so I'll order them. He already has some toys but is only attracted to mirrors and taps on anything glass. What toys should I get him and what should I do to get his attention and play with him. How do I stop him from being such a nuisance and how do I get him in the cage without trying to catch him?

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You have to give him a reason to trust you! Trying to catch him is only proving you to be, at best, an annoyance!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hi Go back as if you have just met him. Forget that he has been there for 2 years - he hasn't known you properly for that time. Flboy is right that you need to earn his trust. I don't think we train birds or tame them we live with them and show them that they can trust us. We are not going to catch them and have them for dinner. We have to show them that only really nice things happen when humans are around.
He needs to get used to you , how you look, how you sound, how you move around. Are you calm around him? Think of a flock of wild birds outside. They will all fly up in the sky at anything unusual, loud, seeing other large birds that might eat them. There are any number of things including anything strange that will create the same reaction.

Stay calm always give him the choice. Never unless it can't be avoided try to catch him. Give lots of treats if he is happy to take them from you and soft gentle words in a voice that sooths. Let him make the decisions about how far he is prepared to trust you or anyone - or anything. I have found that mirrors can be addictive so I avoid them as toys. Perhaps there will come a time when you can remove them but don't rush. Any change for birds unsettles them big time. Even your arrival can have upset him. So back off. Any sign of running away and you are too close. Wait and wait until he comes to you, and make every experience with you good so the association is that you represent only good things in his life.
You will have made a start then. Other stuff will follow but without that initial trust there will be no taming. Just one more thing. I firmly believe that they really tame us not the other way around. You will never truly own a bird. When they trust you it is the biggest gift. Never abuse it.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The above is true, think of it as you just brought him home. You can form a bond and socialize and improve on interaction and guide to a better quality of life.

You are fantastic to have taken this step in reaching out ! In recognizing and starting the journey to improve his life! It can take time and commitment to get to a better place. But it is profoundly rewarding. I've worked with abused and neglected, and fearful or closed down parrots. So it is possible. Its a continuous process, and being part of community like this, provides so much to learn and grow. I'm active, even tho I have no current issues, because I'm always picking up tips or new ideas, and share my experiences in supporting others.

This article has lost of good information . I still do observations, to see how I can increase use and increase interactions and enrichment of their world. And pick up on dynamic flock changes.

OP
KiwiCRO

KiwiCRO

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thanks alot for the help, I'll start by getting him some new toys to play with while I'm busy, I'll also make sure to treat him everytime he gets in the cage and find some new stuff to get his attention. I'll search the forum or ask if I have any more questions.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Be careful new toys might scare him. Introduce them away from his cage where he can see them and investigate if he wants. Any sign of fear just leave them in sight. It might take days before he is comfortable.

Most Reactions