Trying to teach albie to spin in the opposite direction

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Well, a tip from someone who has Not kept up with any sort of training... but I did read a book about it soo...

I noticed several times his head followed the treat in the desired dirction, before he then stopped and went the opposite way. I'd suggest watching carefully for that head-follow and reward at that point, for now, before then stretching it just a liittttle further each time.

...my two cents. probably not worth much more than that! ... ;)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Well, a tip from someone who has Not kept up with any sort of training... but I did read a book about it soo...

I noticed several times his head followed the treat in the desired dirction, before he then stopped and went the opposite way. I'd suggest watching carefully for that head-follow and reward at that point, for now, before then stretching it just a liittttle further each time.

...my two cents. probably not worth much more than that! ... ;)

thats pretty darn close to how it’s done, shaping the behavior.

i wouldn’t use luring like that, however. I’d use targeting instead :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nope, Salty is having none of that. Like an 80 yr old square dancer, he only knows circle to the right. Even when being led by the treat, he flatly refuses to go left, and meets my hand with the treat half way to round to the right. Just like Stitchie.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
thats pretty darn close to how it’s done, shaping the behavior.

i wouldn’t use luring like that, however. I’d use targeting instead :)
I did try targeting first, he was having none of it.... At all. He's so funny, because he know what I want, which is a spin, but he's just doesn't want to do it the other way 🤣

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Nope, Salty is having none of that. Like an 80 yr old square dancer, he only knows circle to the right. Even when being led by the treat, he flatly refuses to go left, and meets my hand with the treat half way to round to the right. Just like Stitchie.
This is so funny!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Might give it a try with Pascal, a few times I did make him "go under the bridge" from different sides, but for spinning I am not sure if he will do it xD

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Might give it a try with Pascal, a few times I did make him "go under the bridge" from different sides, but for spinning I am not sure if he will do it xD
Please let us know how you get on!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Please let us know how you get on!
Just a question - Does following a finger count?? He has his usual spin where I just show and he will do it one way, but for the other way of course I have to encourage him with showing (often my finger is instead of a stick)

He actually will spin to the opposite side if I let him follow! Actually captured it on video :D

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Just a question - Does following a finger count?? He has his usual spin where I just show and he will do it one way, but for the other way of course I have to encourage him with showing (often my finger is instead of a stick)

He actually will spin to the opposite side if I let him follow! Actually captured it on video :D
It's more than I got!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
It's more than I got!
Albie will get it after a few tries, don't worry!

At least he doesn't freak out when there's a hand above his head xD (I can work ONLY on the flat cage door and show from below..)

Also, did I mention what GORGEOUS colour mutation Albie has? Also, how do I differentiate cinnamon from pinapple?

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Thank
Albie will get it after a few tries, don't worry!

At least he doesn't freak out when there's a hand above his head xD (I can work ONLY on the flat cage door and show from below..)

Also, did I mention what GORGEOUS colour mutation Albie has? Also, how do I differentiate cinnamon from pinapple?
I hope so, I try to not push him too much with sessions. And once I got what I sort of wanted we stopped on that good note.

Thank you! He has incredible colouring. We went to a bird store yesterday (saw some beautiful baby blue and gold macaws) and the owner said the same thing, but he doesn't like breeding and rearing green cheeks because they bite 🙄

The easiest way to tell between a pineapple and a cinnamon is pineapples are yellow under their wings and cinnamons are green

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thank

I hope so, I try to not push him too much with sessions. And once I got what I sort of wanted we stopped on that good note.

Thank you! He has incredible colouring. We went to a bird store yesterday (saw some beautiful baby blue and gold macaws) and the owner said the same thing, but he doesn't like breeding and rearing green cheeks because they bite 🙄

The easiest way to tell between a pineapple and a cinnamon is pineapples are yellow under their wings and cinnamons are green
That's exactly how a training should be stopped always - on a good note without pushing :D I always give a bigger treat at the end of the session or when I have to stop, still somehow he doesn't abuse that.

Would you believe me a GCC and Quaker hobby breeder told me the same? He really likes Quakers much much more because they're less nippy AND less noisy/prone to shouting? In Hungarian Quakers are literally called "friend parrots" (barát papagáj)

And thank you for clarifying the mutations - those are the only two common mutations I couldn't figure out entirely.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
That's exactly how a training should be stopped always - on a good note without pushing :D I always give a bigger treat at the end of the session or when I have to stop, still somehow he doesn't abuse that.

Would you believe me a GCC and Quaker hobby breeder told me the same? He really likes Quakers much much more because they're less nippy AND less noisy/prone to shouting? In Hungarian Quakers are literally called "friend parrots" (barát papagáj)

And thank you for clarifying the mutations - those are the only two common mutations I couldn't figure out entirely.
I love green cheeks, they are like the Terriers of the parrot world, spunky, fisty, opinionated little guys, that are also smarter than Terriers.

It's adorable that Quakers are called "friend parrots" it so sweet.

To be honest, I don't find Albie to be all that loud, although, if he goes quiet I become suspicious of what he's up to to be keeping his beak busy.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I love green cheeks, they are like the Terriers of the parrot world, spunky, fisty, opinionated little guys, that are also smarter than Terriers.

It's adorable that Quakers are called "friend parrots" it so sweet.

To be honest, I don't find Albie to be all that loud, although, if he goes quiet I become suspicious of what he's up to to be keeping his beak busy.
A quiet parrot is indeed a dangerous parrot. Also I love the description/comparison of GCCs to dogs - On point!!

I never heard a single GCC shouting, only a whole flock of them (20 or so ) in the same time and it's deafening. I'm sure their shout is MUCH softer than IRN's.
Pascal's shout is really soft, much softer than a cockatiel's, even budgie's to be fair... He can punch a hurtful EKKEKEKE shouting session, but it's once or twice a day, or when I'm having an important online meeting. I did "train him" to immediately be silent when I turn around - my work colleagues always die from laughing how well that works. For 5 minutes or so.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So, so right about ending a training session on a positive note, I often forget to recommend that to potential trainers; thanks for reminding me. i always start and end sessions with tricks that Salty loves to do (rolling over and using his slide) and he gets an extra treat for the last one.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Okay an update: There is no way I teach Pascal to roll, get on his back, god forbid any accessories like puting things into a bowl or anything, not even fetch. But this little sock muppet learned to spin both ways on command and rarely messes up. Is that his new super power now??

Stitchthestich - I definitely owe you something for giving me an idea what new trick to teach 😂

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Okay an update: There is no way I teach Pascal to roll, get on his back, god forbid any accessories like puting things into a bowl or anything, not even fetch. But this little sock muppet learned to spin both ways on command and rarely messes up. Is that his new super power now??

Stitchthestich - I definitely owe you something for giving me an idea what new trick to teach 😂
He's such a clever bird!

You don't owe me anything 😁

Albie and I play fetch only roles reverseed, he throws I fetch 🤣

Most Reactions

Latest posts