Two 30yr old blue and gold macaws rescue

Cmoore

Aug 26, 2021
Birmingham AL
Parrots
two rescued Blue and Gold Macaws
Good morning! (In Alabama)
So I acquired two male blue and gold macaws last Thursday. They seem to be settling in pretty well. They both tolerate me and absolutely hate my boyfriend. And aren’t phased by my dogs. However one of them constantly does this extremely high pitched whistle type thing that I’m going to try to attach. He seems to do it in a heightened state, if you pull a phone out to video or take a picture and if you
B9AB07DB-C785-4512-96BA-58BC7C58560E.jpeg
make eye contact with him. My question is- is there anyway to work on this and get him to stop doing it? He’s honestly quieter if I leave him in the back room in his cage than if I bring him out. He talks instead of doing this whistle thing when he’s in his cage. I know they are noisy. I’m okay with that. But this is pretty much anytime we’re around. He even does it when I am carrying him from cage to perch. Well it won’t let me upload the video. But I have attached pictures of the two
E7304438-5FD2-42AF-B4EF-C2991063A2BB.jpeg
C81424B0-7791-497B-A697-79CB31AB6749.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Training out unwanted behavior is probably the hardest thing to do with a parrot, especially one that has been doing it for years. Essentially you want to reward him when he is quiet or doing something other than the objectionable action and ignore him when he is doing the bad one. It can take years of work, scrupulous adherence to the technique and every one in the household has to adhere to it.

Dinochicken

Nov 5, 2021
Parrots
Macaw Indian ringneck and cockatiel
Good morning! (In Alabama)
So I acquired two male blue and gold macaws last Thursday. They seem to be settling in pretty well. They both tolerate me and absolutely hate my boyfriend. And aren’t phased by my dogs. However one of them constantly does this extremely high pitched whistle type thing that I’m going to try to attach. He seems to do it in a heightened state, if you pull a phone out to video or take a picture and if youView attachment 32235 make eye contact with him. My question is- is there anyway to work on this and get him to stop doing it? He’s honestly quieter if I leave him in the back room in his cage than if I bring him out. He talks instead of doing this whistle thing when he’s in his cage. I know they are noisy. I’m okay with that. But this is pretty much anytime we’re around. He even does it when I am carrying him from cage to perch. Well it won’t let me upload the video. But I have attached pictures of the two View attachment 32233View attachment 32234
My macaw does that when she sees something she doesn’t like or when she is scared or nervous

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Big wing hugs welcoming to you 🙂

They are gorgeous and they are lucky to be rescued by you. Sadly, they don't know this yet. For now, they are just frighten kids in a new place, new paronts, new everything.

"A young macaw should be socialized with as many people as possible. They also should be exposed to lots of situations such as new cages, visits to a veterinarian, handling by friends, and having their nails clipped. Socializing a macaw and providing it lots of experiences are the keys to a great pet. Doing these things will develop a well rounded bird that doesn't become frightened of new things."

Most rehome birds have not been socialized well, so they are probably screaming because they are frighten of everything.

Normally screaming could means....
......I am afraid
......I want something
.....I miss some people
....where are you going please come back

The interpretation depends largely on the circumstances and bird's history. So, the more we know about them, the better we may be able to assist you. Like their age, their understanding of basic commands.

(you said.... He’s honestly quieter if I leave him in the back room in his cage than if I bring him out.) Hence i think he is simply afraid.

It takes a lot of patience and consistency to develop trust. It is up to you to bring out the best in them. This video is very informative.

Next is a series of videos of 2 macaws in their home. The birds are well socialized and living happily in their familiar surroundings. Then the owners tried to introduce them to a friend. So there's many tips on how to get the macaws to trust a new person. Since you are a new person to the two macaws, this may be useful to watch.

Most Reactions

Latest posts