Two Big Questions in One

AS91379

Aug 15, 2011
North Georgia
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
I am planning on getting another bird in the very near future. I am a college student who spends two days a week at school ALL DAY, and I want my bird to have companionship during those two days. I plan on the two birds having separate cages but being allowed to interact under supervision. My bird is a one-year-old GCC. I am considering another conure, but I have always loved-- and even had as a child-- a cockatiel. Does anyone know if a GCC and a cockatiel would get along? Or am I better off just getting another conure?

My second question is this: my GCC has had a biting problem since I got her. The pet store I got her from said she was the moodiest conure they ever had. Every time she bites, I do the involuntary pull away/flinch/brace/suck in air, etc. The whole "don't react because it's the reaction they are looking for" thing does not work. I can't help giving a little flinch every time. I am considering wearing gloves to break her, so she can't get the satisfaction of a reaction when she bites. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for those of you who can stand to read through my rambles!

Alot of birds can't stand gloves, and that might make it worse if she become fearful of you altogether. You could try hanging the very light gardening gloves next to her cage for awhile, then letting her interact with them in training, then finally on your hands. I wouldn't just suddenly start using gloves.

As far as the cockatiel, conure mixing, my cockatiel and GCC tolerate each other. My GCC is not aggressive towards other birds in the sense he doesn't seek out a bird to bully, but he doesn't cuddle up to approaching birds either. If your conure is aggressive, it wouldn't be a good match. The tiel would end up getting the short end of the deal. Another conure may be feisty enough to give as good as she gets, but either way, I would be prepared to have separate times out just in case. Doesn't matter what species you get, you can never guarantee you'll be able to let them out at the same time. My personal recommendation is to go with what YOU want, rather then what you think your bird will want.

I was thinking of first keeping them where she can see them, have her get used to the sight of them, slowly move them closer, then incorporate them into play time before I start putting them on my hands and reacting toward her with them. I think it would be a process of about two weeks. The last thing I want is for her to be frightened. I just can't tolerate the biting, anymore. It is increasingly getting worse, and I know she can sense my frustration with her.

I have wanted another cockatiel for years (my last one passed away when I was twelve. I went eight years before getting my GCC), but I would also love and adore another conure. I have always planned on eventually having two birds. No more than two, though. I want to make sure that the second bird will make my GCC happy, too.

I also adore the little budgies, but I've never heard of a GCC and a budgie being together.

I just found a post on GCCs and other birds. I will be playing it safe and getting another conure, I think. It sounds to me like the same species is the best. Thanks for your advice!

I can pull up a multitude of different sized species of birds cohabitating together without problems! Unfortunately, that's no guarantee that your own two birds will get along.

My first cockatiel, Casey, got along great with Noel, my cherry headed conure (RIP). However, she *does not* like Charlie, the mitred. And the feeling is mutual.

You have a better chance of two birds of the same/similar species getting along than two birds of completely different species, but that's no guarantee that two birds that are same/similar *will* get along with each other.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPPFBxANQc]Take the Bite - YouTube[/ame]​

I feel as if it's better to avoid getting bitten rather than have to stand there and wait for your bird to stop biting. Instead of ignoring the bite, find out why your bird is biting in the first place and try not to put your bird in a position that he feels the need to bite.

Learn about positive reinforcement aka clicker training. If need be, you may need to lure him to teach him what is acceptable behavior, then you can slowly remove the lure and teach him with commands only, and reward afterwards.

There aren't very many *good* videos on teaching parrots with positive reinforcement, but here's one on teaching a puppy to sit.

[ame=http://youtu.be/aIdKdba_Wmo]Teach a Puppy to Sit | Teacher's Pet With Victoria Stilwell - YouTube[/ame]​

Here's a great video on using positive reinforcement with a young greenwing macaw!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYYtI8Hr_jE]Parrot Training: making new friends - YouTube[/ame]​

And this video kind of shows you what not to do when training a parrot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4QrTLKzjw]Parrot Training, Bird taming: What not to do - and helpful Tips - YouTube[/ame]​

I also adore the little budgies, but I've never heard of a GCC and a budgie being together.
Actually, my budgies and conure are fine together. The budgies move very quickly, so they have the advantage if Squirrel is in a bad mood.

If you want them to play together and bond to the extent that they could possibly be in the same cage, then the same species would be the best (but not a safe) bet.
However, if you just want them to keep each other company in separate cages and be able to be out together, but not playing together, you don't necessarily have to go with another conure. Finches could provide company if that's all you're going for, though of course they would cage-bound.
Go with the bird YOU want. If you want another conure, awesome! If you were really hoping for a cockatiel, it will still keep your conure company in a separate cage, and chances are you'll be able to have them out together, even if they need separate play stands. Is your GCC flighted?

Thanks for the videos. Although I know biting is not a natural thing for a bird, I'm pretty sure my GCC is just playing and trying to be controlling over me. She wants to be the boss! We do clicker train. She's great about going inside her cage for me. We're going to start working on tricks and harness training, soon. I need to post a video of her biting. She isn't exactly mean, just very sassy! She does bite hard enough to break skin on a daily basis, though.

As far as another bird goes, I will be having separate cages, and the idea is not to have my bird bond to the other bird. Call me selfish, but I like being worshiped by a tiny, green bird! The idea is just to have someone to talk to and look at while I'm away, and they could play together while I study, so my bird doesn't hang off her cage and bounce while I sit in bed with my book (She can't study with me. She eats my books!).

Oh, someone asked if she can fly! Yes, she can. She makes frequent use of it when I study in bed.

Actually, biting is a natural thing for birds to do, just not to the degree that it may be seen in captivity, but who knows. Parrots do bite at each other when playing or fighting, but parrots have feathers to help protect from a lot of the damage.

There is no such thing as "dominance" in parrots, and this fact has been proven, therefore there is no reason to try and dominate your bird.

Birds don't have hands, so they explore a lot with their beaks. You want to encourage them to chew on the appropriate items, so it would be a good idea to direct her attention to appropriate things she can chew on rather than your flesh.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back