Two breads I made

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Calvin - Blue quaker parrot
I've made these two birdy breads recently. I make my own flour mix in my nutribullet which is a mix of red lentils, almonds, brown rice, quinoa and a bit of whole grain wheat flour.

This one is apple and chilli bread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 275
OP
Matt_95

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
And this one is kale, celery and sweet potato. Instead of egg I used a banana and I used kale and mandarin juice as the liquid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 149

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for sharing, your birdie bread looks delicious! I like your flour mix ingredients, great idea.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Looks good enough for people to eat! Lucky Calvin:) Any pics of the resulting potty beak from him enjoying his treats?

OP
Matt_95

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Thank you for sharing, your birdie bread looks delicious! I like your flour mix ingredients, great idea.

Thank you!

Looks good enough for people to eat! Lucky Calvin:) Any pics of the resulting potty beak from him enjoying his treats?

I liked the kale and sweet potato bread, I don't like cooked fruit or spicy foods so I didn't bother to try that one. Calvin actually doesn't get a messy beak from the apple and chilli break. He hasn't tried the kale and sweet potato one though, I'll have to grab a photo tomorrow!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Both breads look a-m-a-z-I-n-g! Would you mind sharing how exactly you made them, how much of each you used? I'd like to try to make those for my gang. :)

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Those look phenomenal! Def love to hear the "recipe"

OP
Matt_95

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Both breads look a-m-a-z-I-n-g! Would you mind sharing how exactly you made them, how much of each you used? I'd like to try to make those for my gang. :)

The flour recipe I used was 1 cup each of red lentils, brown rice, quinoa and whole meal flour plus a handful of almonds. I ground this in small batches in my nutribullet.
To make the liquid portion for the kale and sweet potato bread I added 3 kale leaves, a mandarin and a banana to my nutribullet with some water and blend it until smooth.

To make the dough, I use two cups of my flour and I slowly add enough of the juice until it reaches the consistency that I want. Then I add in 1.5 cups of diced sweet potato, half a cup of diced celery and 1.5 cups of kale that I've put through my food processor and mix it evenly through.

Just before I add the dough to my baking tin, I add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and mix it through. The baking soda reacts with the acid in the mandari and makes the bread more fluffy and light. You want to add the mixture to the tin very soon after adding the baking soda.

To make the topping I used some muesli I had and I mixed it with honey until it reached the consistency I wanted. I add about a 1.5cm layer on top of the dough.
I cooked it at 170 degrees until it was cooked all the way through.

OP
Matt_95

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
The apple and chilli bread used the same flour and topping. However I used water to make the dough instead of juice. I mixed in 1 cup of diced apple, 1 cup of chopped birds eye chilli and 1 cup of Calvin's regular chop mix. I didn't add any baking soda to this one so it's more dense and flat than the other bread. For the topping on this one I mixed quinoa, dried coconut and rolled oats with honey and spread it on top of the dough. Same baking procedure as before.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Both of those breads look amazing! Thank you so much for the recipes, I am going to try both of them. I think my guys will go crazy for them.

OP
Matt_95

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Both of those breads look amazing! Thank you so much for the recipes, I am going to try both of them. I think my guys will go crazy for them.

Thanks very much! I would really love to know how it turns out for you :)

Calvin loved his slice this morning as well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'll be sure to post pictures after I make it:)

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Those look awesome! Seems like an easy recipe to follow. Since I just got my bird, I found so many recipes to try I'll be cooking/baking all summer! Lol This is definitely one I'll try soon. Do you freeze the remainder of the bread to keep it fresh? You said you baked it at 170 degrees. I take it that's in Celsius, right? :) Which would be 338 degrees Fahrenheit.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
This article made me hungry! I love bread of every kind and will try your recipes, they sound yummy even for people (like me)!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts