two ekkies one cup

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
so first yes the title was made in fun lol. i own a pair male and female . two weeks apart now about 14 months old . at first i asked the breeder for advice . she is A solid breeder owns many breeding pairs . she gave me very detailed advice on them and called often the first few months . now as there is two i asked what to do on feeding them . she said two bowels of food and a water bowel in the middle at the bottom of there cage . no matter what i do or did they always go to one food bowel together. they dont fight , in fact one always makes room for the other . yes sometimes they shove or push but again its peaceful. so my question is what do others do ?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You had me with that title LOL! I was just transported back in time over a decade!

I have always suggested 2 cups for each too, but I only have one bird at the moment.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, they are clearly well mannered Ekkies!

My experience is with Amazons and I have never seen Amazons so kind to each other around food. No bitting, but a fair amount of pushing.

Our Ekkie professionals will be around soon!

Welcome to Parrot Forum!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Heeheehee, Dos Ekkies! Love it!

No experience with pairs, or housing two together at all, so I can't offer a lot there. One thing I'd consider though, is that they're still babies, so they're much easier going than adults. That being the case, it makes sense that they don't fight over the food bowl. Yet. They may never have a problem, but there's still the possibility that as they mature, things will change. I'd definitely keep an eye on their interactions as they grow up. Maybe keep putting two bowls in so they have the option, even if they don't use it right now?

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
I’m no expert and my pair has about 22 years of age difference and are neighbors, who have a divider between them. They explore each other’s cages but I always supervise and don’t let th them together at night.

I think you want to keep two of everything as if they get older and hormonal, you want there to be another option then a place to get attacked by the other. It may not happen but I think it’s good to offer.

I am no expert so I also will defer to those who have pairs that are more similar in age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts