Uglow's Exercise and Practice.

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Uglow came to us already clipped and pretty clumsy when it came to flying. He hasn't molted his clipped feathers yet but I've been working on getting his flying skills ready for when they grow in. Plus this is great exercise for him.

He is so proud of himself every time he nails his landing and can't wait to step back up and be taken back to his starting point. My wife and I decided to take a video from different angles and splice it together. So this is actually 4 flights spliced together. He usually lets out a super loud call when he lands which is hilarious but he stopped doing it when we started filming. :cool: of course.

Anyway, here he is in action.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B2v9WuSxaE"]Uglow's Flight Training - YouTube[/ame]

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How wonderful he's learning to fly! He will be a skilled indoor flyer in no time!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yay Uglow! He is becoming quite the skilled flyer!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Go Uglow, go!!!!

This is thrilling to see because I'm working with Parker to do this. Right now it's just target training all over his playstand. Once he nears 100% I'll introduce gradually separating stands.

This truly is my inspiration to keep going. What a wonderful job you're doing with him! Keep it up!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet!!! I love seeing birds learning the joys of flight. There's nothing like it.

You're doing an amazing job with Uglow! Please keep the updates coming.

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Very much appreciated.

Chris, I can only give you what I know but I'm more than happy to share it. Uglow loves his tree. The tree is next to my desk by the window where I work from fulltime. He's either on my shoulder looking the window, on the tree palying or on my keyboard...:rolleyes:
Anyway, He loves this area.
I made him a stand with a perch. You can buy ready made ones. I set up the stand away from his tree and have him step up on the stand. Then I walk away from him. He usually ducks and bounces his head up and down a bit and then takes off. He is so F***ing proud of himself when get's to his tree and can't wait to step up and do it again.

So I would find his favorite go to place. set up a stand away from it. and walk away from him and back to his go to place. encourage him to come to it. It's a little heartbreaking at first cuz he's like "hey comeback, don't leave me here" but if you keep talking to him and encourage him, he'll eventually build up the courage. give him treats and kisses and before you know it, he'll look forward to it.

edit: It sounds like Parker "can" fly but he lacks the confidence. I think with a little encouragement and just knowing you're around he'll start be able to build it up.

Last edited:

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Uglow is doing great!! Well done on encouraging him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts