ultrasound

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
Has anyone here did an ultrasound on your parrot?, and if so how much was the cost? Mine needs one and just need to know what to expect

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was offered an ultrasound of my Lucy’s head and eye (she had a punctured deflated eye and it got infected when she was old). I was surprised they said the ultrasound would only be $50, but that was a vet teaching hospital.

I think they do anaesthetize a bird beforehand.

I don’t know if they would have to pluck the feathers (from the area to be scanned) or just put ultrasound gel on the feathers.

I voted “no” because Lucy was very old and I couldn’t believe there could be a cancer causing her eye infection when I SAW HER rubbing her eye on the perch. I didn’t think she’d benefit much and felt that would be putting her at risk.

But I would totally do it for liver or heart concerns, lung issues, etc. imaging so much better than X-ray.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ultrasound is relatively new in Avian Medical care and if it was offered, they should have provided you a cost and what the procedure involved. IMHO ,the gel needs to be water based, which I believe it is as that is what used on Humans is a water based. My Vet does not have ultrasound.

Last edited:
OP
moon1964

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
mine doesn't either they would refer me. I've changed her diet and giving her exercise. If its something that bad wouldn't of showed up in the blood test?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It depends what they wanted to ultrasound. If they wanted to look at her liver an ultrasound would tell how much fat and scarring there is as well as perhaps a look at some nearby organs.

You would get some unique information you couldn’t get from a blood test. I would wonder what it is the vet was concerned about/ looking for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts