Understanding baby Conure growth

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
I have a baby Conure which is 6 weeks oldā€¦ I just realised that itā€™s right side seems to be more mobile than the left sideā€¦ is it normal? Is there something look out for?
And when I got it, it has 1 ring tag at its left leg and a ring for the flight chain on its rightā€¦ should I remove them?
Thank you very much in advance for the your precious time taken for any kind advice šŸ™šŸ¼

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Anhdy,
Congratulations on your new baby! He does sound very young still and may not be fully weaned. I would recommend a few bird formula hand feedings per day with a syringe (perhaps the breeder can give you one along with info on the type of formula they were feeding).

There are many causes of unilateral leg weakness. It could be that the baby is still immature and gaining strength. There could have been a sprain in transitioning to a new home. There could be a congenital issue. Making sure the baby has easy access to food and water is paramount. Low perches can prevent falling. If worsening or no improvement, I recommend consulting an avian vet.

Best wishes and good luck!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I have a baby Conure which is 6 weeks oldā€¦ I just realised that itā€™s right side seems to be more mobile than the left sideā€¦ is it normal? Is there something look out for?
And when I got it, it has 1 ring tag at its left leg and a ring for the flight chain on its rightā€¦ should I remove them?
Thank you very much in advance for the your precious time taken for any kind advice šŸ™šŸ¼

Hello and warm welcome to both of you
Could you send us a video about the mobility?

Ring tag....removal is easy but once the baby is grown you can't put on a new ring. Grown bird may get too stressed.

one for identification?
One for flight chain?
Which will you remove?

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Hi Anhdy,
Congratulations on your new baby! He does sound very young still and may not be fully weaned. I would recommend a few bird formula hand feedings per day with a syringe (perhaps the breeder can give you one along with info on the type of formula they were feeding).

There are many causes of unilateral leg weakness. It could be that the baby is still immature and gaining strength. There could have been a sprain in transitioning to a new home. There could be a congenital issue. Making sure the baby has easy access to food and water is paramount. Low perches can prevent falling. If worsening or no improvement, I recommend consulting an avian vet.

Best wishes and good luck!
Thank you so much!
I have the formula for the feeding which I do twice a day of about 15ml
Iā€˜ll monitor its movementsšŸ˜Š

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Hello and warm welcome to both of you
Could you send us a video about the mobility?

Ring tag....removal is easy but once the baby is grown you can't put on a new ring. Grown bird may get too stressed.

one for identification?
One for flight chain?
Which will you remove?
Hi hi
Thank you so much
lā€™ll try to take a video

Iā€™m sure whether should I take them offā€¦ to unload the ā€˜burdenā€™ā€¦ as also will both the ring hinder the developments of the legs?

D

Deleted member 42416

Ohā€¦ flight chain ring for leg should be removed. Leg flight chains are highly associated with leg injury. Some birds are amenable to harnesses (especially if started very young), but not all birds are and this should never be forced. Introducing harnesses can be a months long process. ID rings, if correctly sized, should not cause injury or leg impede leg strength. However, if it is an issue, it should only be removed by an avian vet.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hi hi
Thank you so much
lā€™ll try to take a video

Iā€™m sure whether should I take them offā€¦ to unload the ā€˜burdenā€™ā€¦ as also will both the ring hinder the developments of the legs?
Any photos and video would be useful for a better understanding of the situation.

Are you hand feeding him?
Does he eat easy to digest food such as banana and boiled pumpkin?
Does his poop look normal/consistent with his food?

We need to identify the nature of immobility and it's various cause. (Causes of weak leg ranges from malnutrition from improper weaning to leg accidents to indigestion.) So we must gather all information to determine the probable cause. Give first aids and take him to see an avian vet asap.

You might find this information.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts